RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Boolit To Rule Them All, .357 edition

Boolit Master

One Boolit To Rule Them All, .357 edition

Alright, so I've admitted before that I'm a cast-boolit fraudster in that I do not cast my own. My apartment balcony is not big enough to host a pot, and the first batch of powder coated boolits would be the last thing I ever put in that oven. To that end, there's a few companies that take pity on the cast-impaired among us and offer pre-cast and pre-coated boolits. I'm considering just buying and loading one single projectile to various speeds for .357 to (hopefully) serve all my .357 guns, at least until I can finally afford the cabin in the woods.

The guns in question are a .357 Mag Contender (factory bull barrel, 10" and now threaded), a 5" New Model Blackhawk, 4" GP100, 3" GP100, and 3" Smith&Wesson Model 60. Are all Magnum chambered and aside from the threading on the Contender all are factory and in very good condition. If I were going to load up one Boolit to serve in all of them, what would it be?

I'm thinking something between 158gr and probably south of 180gr, .358 diameter, and certainly polymer coated. I'd like to be able to run subsonic in the Contender using a 9mm suppressor (Osprey or Striker II) at low muzzle pressures if possible.

158gr RNFP? SWC? 180gr HP?

Is this pure folly, or am I a genius? I realize that I'll likely not see ideal accuracy with all of them, but so far all seem to shoot well with Magtech 158gr SWC and Winchester 129gr .38SPL.

Boolit Grand Master

One Boolit To Rule Them All, .357 edition

I'd have to check the spreadsheet to see how many 35 cal molds I have. But I can tell you the one I cast w/ the most, MP 359-640. Weighs 170 grains as a solid and is the most accurate bullet in all my 357s. I've tried many others but keep coming back to this one. I'm sure others will give you the normal candidates like the 358156 or the Keith bullet.

To the 357 purist, there are only 3 bullets. Hensley #51, Lyman 358156, and the Lyman 358429.

Seriously though, there are many good bullets. However, in my limited research, and practical experience, I would say that the 358156 fits the bill. In softer lead and no GC it does well at target velocities. In harder (coww) with a gc it has the length and bc to be good @ 100 yds and magnum velocities.

There are vendors that will sell you this bullet lubed, with or without a gc.

Why bother with pc if you are going to buy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrco View Post
    To the 357 purist, there are only 3 bullets. Hensley #51, Lyman 358156, and the Lyman 358429.

Seriously though, there are many good bullets. However, in my limited research, and practical experience, I would say that the 358156 fits the bill. In softer lead and no GC it does well at target velocities. In harder (coww) with a gc it has the length and bc to be good @ 100 yds and magnum velocities.

There are vendors that will sell you this bullet lubed, with or without a gc.

Why bother with pc if you are going to buy?
    PC (or probably hi-tek) will help keep my suppressor clean on the Contender.

Boolit Master
    I agree with wbrco"
    I would say that the 358156 fits the bill.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Lyman 358156 is the cat's meow.

This thread just reminded me I have a Herter's 357173 mold I've never gotten around to using.
    Thanks... it ain't like I ain't got enough projects half finished already.

After 35+ years with the 357 Magnum, given your requirements I would go with the Lyman #358156 as others have suggested.

Given the firearms you listed, it will be a challenge to find 'The One' that does it all. But the Lyman #
    358156 would indeed be the first runner up.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty much any of the 160+/-gr SWCs will do the job.

My favorite, do anything bullet in .357 is the Saeco #393 162gr SWC GC.

Works with or without the GC. Low to high velocity, accuracy is good.
    "... he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." T.J.

Boolit Buddy
    http://missouribullet.com/results.ph...=5&secondary=9
    I like the #15 for my .357 loads, from mild to wild.

Banned

I had to look up the 156 everyone was talking about..[shrug]
    a 158gr rnfp will cover everything your gonna do.
    no fuss no hassles and you can make up one load for all your revolvers and rifle with it.
    if you happen to buy a lever gun you can just go shoot it too without making any drama out of the whole thing.

I have like 3 [maybe 4?] 357 type guns and about 15 molds for them.
    I have a 5 gallon bucket full of rnfp's ready to load and maybe a 4x4 box of the others at most.
    the ammo stash reflects those numbers too.

Boolit Master
    I'm a little torn between the Keith/SWC and the RNFP. I know several people swear by the Keith bullet for deer and pigs.

Missouri Bullet is likely to be my source unless I find a local caster who wants to make a few bucks on the side.

Geez, your out of the PIT .mac - the Keith/SWC is a great boolit design out to long range and the flat point makes it deadly on impact - the ledge on it cuts a clean hole in paper - it was designed a do all boolit.

RNFP feeds easier many types of guns - speedloader into revolver, leveractions, pumps and semi-autos - it doesn't have the same slap down as a good SWC unless the flat is fairly large - I have a NOE 180 grain WFN that works pretty good on milk jugs (I no longer hunt).

If you want a heavier for subsonic I suggest the RCBS 200 grain or Lee's or NOE's copy of it.

Oh, and trying to get a local caster to make you boolits - you may run afoul of BATFE regs.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I would look to a 158-160gr FP or SWC for general use in 357mag. A 180gr would be a bit heavy for the snubs.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    My first mold, 40 yrs ago was the Lyman 358477. I still have it and love it in 38 spl and mild 357 mag. When I want to set the badger loose, it has to be the GC 358156.

Boolit Master

Easy there..

macdaniel.mac.

Just because you're in a situation that prevents your pouring the Silver Stream in the Ancient & Honourable fashion, does not make you a "...casting fraudster." Rather, you are, if you are not so aware, doing what many here at C.B have done at one time or another: Improvise, Adapt and Overcome. There is no shame in using commercial "OTC" boolits. Good on Ya. Been there, done that.

Now, on to your question. Lyman 358-156 is a very good choice, IMHuO. There are other designs, but -156 is I'd say, a good one. I have in my inventory several old, long discontinued Lyman .358 cal. pistol designs that were considered in their day the best target and general purpose going. Their utility and purpose have not faded with time. Cast boolit shooter's moods and desires have.

Carry on and good luck.

Yours to the last SP primer,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

In a bit different take, I have a whole lot of the 358429 coated with hi-tek.

Boolit Master
    Just get 500 of each type your interested in. It's not that hard to adjust a seating die and a box only costs $35 to $40. Figure out what you and your guns like the best and go from there. There's more load data around the 158 grain range, but it's not terribly hard to find data on the heavier stuff.

I couldn't imagine being stuck with one .357 bullet, but honestly I think I'd choose The Lee 140 SWC. I'm not sure if anyone casts something similar, but it is right in the sweet spot weight wise right between 125 and 158. It is also very accurate and even works in 9mm's

Didn't you say you wanted to keep the suppressor clean? So you are going to run 'greased casts' through it?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Just get 500 of each type your interested in. It's not that hard to adjust a seating die and a box only costs $35 to $40. Figure out what you and your guns like the best and go from there. There's more load data around the 158 grain range, but it's not terribly hard to find data on the heavier stuff.

I couldn't imagine being stuck with one .357 bullet, but honestly I think I'd choose The Lee 140 SWC. I'm not sure if anyone casts something similar, but it is right in the sweet spot weight wise right between 125 and 158. It is also very accurate and even works in 9mm's
    Several of the sellers I've looked at sell 'sample' bags of 25 or 50, so sampling is definitely on the menu. Missouri Bullet has a 100-pack sampler.
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Didn't you say you wanted to keep the suppressor clean? So you are going to run 'greased casts' through it?
    Polymer or powder coating has been okay so far. I ran a case of polymer-coated 9mm with no problems. Gas checks are right the out, but most of the designs can be had in a plain-base.

Right now I think the leader is the Missouri Bullet 158gr SWC "action!" Hi-Tek. Anyone have a preference for grooves vs grooveless? I'm tempted to think the grooveless would be shorter and I'd prefer the longer bearing surface, but I'm not sure it would matter much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast