Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataPBcastcoTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone else try this?

Boolit Master

Anyone else try this?

Some time ago, I purchased a nice used Hoch nose-pour .25 mould I thought I could use in my original Ballard .25-25 Stevens 1 -12" twist. Found out bullet was designed for 1-10" twist. Now I do have another .25 with a 1-10" twist brl. However, it is chambered in .25 Ackley Krag Improved..I would have to really reduce loads for plain base in this one. I got to thinking about those gas checks for plain-base bullets I see advertised here...then I got out some Hornady .25 checks and the o'l gears started to turn....I wonder??? I thought I would need to push them thru sizer to remove slight flair..but no, placing one on the bottom plate of mould & gently pushing check into base-band groove & gingerly closing mould..check was flush & flat with base & no light showed between blocks. Last Saterday, I fired up the Lyman Mag Dipper filled with diluted Styerotype metal, picked up a fully annealed hot check from the mould heating shelf & placed into mould. After making sure check was flat to blocks, I filled mould. What dropped out was a perfectly formed gas-checked bullet! Now the checks do not have the sharp front edge exposed as conventional checks..but who knows, when bullet is forced into rifling, perhaps the scraping effect will still be present? Check does turn slightly & running bullet thru .258 sizer die didn't tighten it up much..but I couldn't pry it off base without destroying bullet. Probably be awhile before I can test these out..Just getting rifle range-ready..what with fire-forming brass to 40* shoulder & barrel break-in. But bullet looks like it might just work. Has anyone tried this? Probably need a nose-pour mould..unless center of check is punched out like the Wilke and lead poured thru.

Boolit Master
    I have NO experience with this Idea but it does Sound like it should work well for you.
    As the front edge of the Gas check is still actually sharp 'square to the bore' it should act like normally fitted GC front edge in firing. I think the slight 'looseness' you you report is due to differential shrinkage as the two metals cool, Lead shrinks more than Copper.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William