RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

View Poll Results: Do you cut your own hair?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, either always or nearly always cut it myself.

139 58.40%
  • No, I normally pay someone else to do it.

79 33.19%
  • Hair?

26 10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you cut your own hair?

I am blessed with thick head of hair and have been enjoying a full service haircut for more years than I care to share. Look forward to it. Barber works with mostly hand scissors, electric clippers on neck and finishes with hot lather, straight razor and vacuum. Head, eyebrows, ears ... The works. Takes about a half hour and get caught up on all the "downtown news" in process.

Vendor Sponsor

I had long hair ever since I was a teen, my dad hated it, waited until I had the engine out of my car in the back yard and covered head to toe in greasy clothes and he decides he will lock me out of the house until I get a haircut.

Needless to say, I finished putting the motor back together, chunked it in the car and left. That was the end of that. The year was 1971 or maybe 1972.

Got it cut in 2004, kept it sorta short for 10yrs, then when I was recovering from cancer I had to take stock of a lot of things and one of the things I asked myself, was what was I missing? Were there things I would like to have back or like to do, and I missed having long hair so now it hasn't been cut in 3+yrs, I am 64 now and it is gray and silver but it don't look bad for a guy my age so I am happy with it.

So to answer the poll question, no I don't cut my own hair and neither does anyone else!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    You really need another option there, wife cuts hair. Been that way thru 3 wives (yea, I must be hard to get along with, first two left). I've paid to have hair cut very few times in my life. Growing up, Mom cut all of our hair. Couldn't see spending money on haircuts, even for sister.

Ken H>

Boolit Master
    Grandpa cut me and my brothers hair when we were kids on the farm. Left for 2 years of the Army so it was barber hair cuts for two years. Got home got married right away and the wife has cut it ever since, couple more months and it will be 48 years of her cutting it. She cut all the kids hair until they left home for college. Haven't had many hair cuts by a barber in my life.

Boolit Master
    I haven't paid for a haircut sense the early 80's. the wife has been cuting mine twice a year for the past 28 years whether I need it or not
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

We bought a flowbee some 18 years back. Have 2 now, good to have a spare.

I would never go back to someone else doing my hair.

The flowbee hooks up to the vacumn, sucks the hair up inside of a plastic box. Several different length boxes come with it. Set to to length you want. Above the box is a sized down sickle mower essentially. Uses a power adapter to power it.

For less than a years worth of hair cuts we have been free of paying for that little chore for 18 years. I'll never go back.

You can do it yourself if you have shorter hair but it is easier to have someone help.
    I do trim her back up with a set of clippers. I can't stand clippers back there so I make her use a sharp set of scissors. 20 minutes, 2 hair cuts, then off to the shower together for some tickle slap and snuggle time. Life is good.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When my wife and I got married, my folks gave us a Sears "barber kit" for Christmas so she could cut my hair - we were both in college and even though I was working two jobs and going to school, money was tight in those days. She read the instructions, broke out the electric trimmer and went at it - that was the one and only haircut she has given me! She was hesitant to do it in the first place and told me to go to a barber from then as she had no ability to cut it. I've had a full beard since 1975 and I used to trim it with the barber clippers and looking in the mirror. For years now, I've gone to a lady who cuts it. I used to take my mother to her beauty shop and just got in the habit of getting my hair cut while there about every two to three weeks. She's like a sister to me so I not only get a great haircut but a half hour of good conversation to go along with it!

Boolit Master
    my mother cut hair for a lot of relatives and I cut 3 boys hair, and my own for a lot of years.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    You really need another option there, wife cuts hair. Been that way thru 3 wives (yea, I must be hard to get along with, first two left). I've paid to have hair cut very few times in my life. Growing up, Mom cut all of our hair. Couldn't see spending money on haircuts, even for sister.

Ken H>
    I've looked, but I can't figure out how to do it.

If I could, I would add another option:

"Cut by family member (wife, kids, etc) / good friend who is not a professional barber"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    1/8 inch guard on clipper all over. Mirror to trim beard.Wife does my neck without guard.
    That's exactly my process, except I use a 3/8s guard. My hair is thin enough that it helps keep my scalp from sunburning.

I also use Sweetpea's method and jump into the shower immediately after.

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

I am another one who has it "mowed" with the 1/8th" guard in place on the old Wahl clipper. My wife does it and has for years. I confess there is not much to cut, so it is pretty easy and quick. When we first started doing it my wife said she didn't want to mess it up. I told her it was just like mowing the yard. She seemed to get it when put that way. Sure is convenient for us too.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I don't need no stinking haircut...

I buzz my whiskers and hair every week with no guard. I guess that would be 0-1/8"

Boolit Master

Every one to two days when I'm shaving. I might let it go long for a month or two when I'm not working but as soon as I go back to work (sand blasting and coating steel) it's Mr Clean time. Nothing worse that sand dust and sweat in your hair. Easier to clean up at lunch and end of the day before I go home as Mr Clean.

Moderator Emeritus

I cut my own hair once and my wife said "Let me see those". She has done it every 2 weeks for the last 15+ years.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

If shaving is the same........Yup, I do my own.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Being married to a woman who was a licensed hairdresser for many years I needed a third poll option. Don't do it myself and don't pay for it.... or do I pay for it? Going with don't pay.

I figured out how I wanted to have my hair cut and mustache trimmed (or not) a long time ago. Wife wants to be creative, so I tend to get hair cut and trim the same way Clint Eastwood did in High Plains Drifter. Ready for any "issues" that come up during the hair cut.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Living in the north for 15 years I get my hair cut once a year in the spring. Natures insulation, used to laugh at people with short hair and shaved spending lots of money keeping their head warm. Long hair and beard at 45 below keeps me warm

Boolit Master
    For you guys that are chrome dome's like myself, there's a few products I have come to love for maintaining the airspace up there.

Headblade: Its simply a melding of razor and Hot Wheels to make a great vehicle for the job! The cartridges are a little pricey but they last a good while. Use a good shave soap.

(This is the only cartridge product I use, I got tired of stupid prices and multi-blade abortions of a "razor" so all that is gone with the wind years ago. I solely use vintage and luxury grade old school Double Edge razors and a straight edge once in a while in combination with some high quality shave soaps, silver tip badger hair brush, etc. I love it, never turning back)

I also recommend products from Bee Bald. Their head scrub is really nice and I love their refresh wipes!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    When it gets out of hand I nip down to the barbers just to tame it.Noticed lately the rain hits the middle bit harder than I would like.I suppose at 80 I am lucky to have any at all

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast