Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Do you cut your own hair?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, either always or nearly always cut it myself.

139 58.40%
  • No, I normally pay someone else to do it.

79 33.19%
  • Hair?

26 10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you cut your own hair?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I cut mine, wife cuts the back on my neck once it bothers her.
    Back when I cut mine in a 1/2" crew cut, I preferred to have a straight line across the bottom, but with as short as I keep it now, it doesn't matter. What I used to do back then was take a piece of wide masking tape and hold it behind my head so the I could even it up from the front without looking at the rear of it and then place the masking tape on my head/neck. I would then go by feel and put the edge of the clippers on the tape and cut downwards to get my neck. That gave me about 1.5" of protected area along the bottom of the hair to keep me from cutting too far up.

Boolit Master

It was not a listed option but my wife has cut my hair since we were married. When we were first married I had plenty of hair - lost most of it since we got married. She is a retired advanced art teacher in high school, has a Master of Arts degree in Art and didn't have to fool with students who weren't really interested. Has a fine eye for what looks good (that's what I tell everyone is the reason she married me). However, if you aren't growing much hair and are 77 years old, she has only so much with which to work. So I voted "hair?" Big Boomer

Yes, I do. I use a Flowbee and my Shop-Vac. Works great, excellent beard trimmer too. An excellent investment.

Which reminds me, I'm due for a good mowing - got a wedding to attend next weekend.

Boolit Master

Cav cut for me.
    A high and tight.
    1/2" on top, not a flat top, with whitewalls.

I cut it myself.
    Sometimes you can't tell.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    1/8 inch guard on clipper all over. Mirror to trim beard.Wife does my neck without guard.
    This is exactly how I do it, never paid for a hair cut yet. We were poor growing up and spending extra dollars on hair cuts was never even considered. Not poor now, but those frugal habits stick with you.

Boolit Master

Should've had a "wife cuts it" choice. My wife got her beautician's license taking summer and night classes while she was in high school and earned her pocket money in college doing hair for the girls in her dorm. (btw: she graduated with honors from a Big Ten university and, later, picked up a Masters doing summer school and extension courses.) Started cutting mine right after I got out of the Army; she'd just graduated and got her first full-time job and I was finishing my degree on the G.I. Bill. Didn't have the proverbial pot to p*** in or window to toss it out of so, to save a few bucks, she cut mine and I helped her do her own.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I cut my hair one time only. Back when I was about 6 years old all my friends had the crew cut so I wanted one too. Parents wouldn't allow it so I sneaked and got a good (?) pair of scissors. Well armed, I climbed up on the vanity top and cut off all the hair I could see and reach. About the time I was through cutting hair my mother walked into the bathroom. The scream that came out of her is probably still racing through outer space. I guess she thought some mechanical device had beat me up and I was injured. At first she was scared, then angry, then finally found humor in what I had done. My father just gave a sigh and hauled me off to the barber shop for a final tune-up. The barber got a good laugh at my work. He got the shortest cutter guard he had and claimed that even with his work it would take several weeks for the hair to grow so a smooth cut could be done. He also mentioned all the hills, humps and gaps on my head looked like a camel stampede. What an insult to my fine work. In due time the hair grew back in and I returned to my routine haircut. After all that work I decided that the crew cut just was not right for me. And I still go to a barber shop.

Used to keep a regular hair cut first couple years of high school. Now I'm 25 and it get's an electric buzzer with no guard once every couple weeks. Always below a #3 but never shiny bald. Don't have the time or care to visit a barber, plus they cost money.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Joined the clipper club after leaving the Corps of 7 years when the only "barber" was a flame haired fruitloop who caressed my head more than it cut hair. That was around '90. Since then I've also joined the safety Razor club. I enjoy very short free cuts, or shaved if I blow it, & the zen time of a great shave with a blade that works well, lasts me a week & cost $0.20 versus $2 and is only good for 1 shave.
    I do miss the woman who cut my long hair in high school that would bury my face in her boobs while doing the back half!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Not enough options to the Poll.

My wife has cut my hair for years, took her training from sister in law who is/was a beaution.

Course now she only needs to cut the hair on the sides, rest is bald!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Not enough options to the Poll.
    Yeah, yeah, I know... If I could change it, I would...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    this reminds me of a story about an old Japanese guy who came to visit his son in America. son was takin' him to show dad where he worked. "let's cut across this lot, we'll save X amount of minutes", "let's cut up this alley, we'll save X amount of minutes." and on like this for several more "time savin's" on the way. dad didn't say anything, just looked at all the sights along the way. when they got to son's office dad says "so tell me my son, what will we do with all this time we saved?"
    I spend time w/ my family. When I'm home I'm home. When I'm at work I'm at work. I see my kids more now even though I travel for work. This coming Monday I will be "working" from home. Before it was 10 hours a day, actually twelve w/ travel, six days a week. And even though I was home every night I had little time to spend w/ my kids. I'd never have the opportunity to work from home before. I understand the point you were making. But some times the point isn't valid. More times then not it's valid so I consider myself lucky.

Boolit Buddy
    Wahl #3 attachment about every 2 weeks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Yep!
    Haven't darkened the doorstep of a barber shop in a long time...especially this last decade where the only barber within 20 miles is a woman who cuts it and then asks..."which side do you part it on?"
    I always thought they would notice that before getting started...well, maybe that's just me. I pay attention to how I disassemble things before I need to put them back together.
    that's is funny right there! I just joined the forum and I am enjoying reading through some of the different topics. How this one ever cought my eye I don't know. Anyway, I have been cutting my own hair for over a decade now. I use clippers every couple weeks to get my head and my face. That is more time than I care to spend on it but I work in a professional role in a healthcare setting. I feel some obligation to suppress my redneck tendencies. If it weren't for the job I imagine I would go full on duck dynasty.

Boolit Mold
    I got tired of having to fix it when I got home so just started doing it myself. Saves time, not to mention money.

Perma-Banned
    Wifes fixin to saw mine off today, the patches ive got left that is. I haven't been to a barber in nearly 20 years i would say

I been cutting it for about 10 years now with an electric clipper and a 3/4" attachment. Just didn't like the hassle of making appointments and going to the salons every month. I do miss the stylists and their boobs in my face when they worked on me.
    "Appetites for gun collecting are often whetted by mechanical ingenuity, artistic features or historic associations" Norm Flayderman.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Now if only they sent a pair of boobs with each set of clippers ………

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hair is past my shoulders. When i cut it, its always been either me or family or friends.

Boolit Master
    I found a geenyouine barber shop just a little past a mile from the house. I have a favorite barber and will wait for him. The lady barber is a big busted knockout, but doesn't do (imo) such a great job. Between trips to the barber shop I'll take my electric razor and buzz the top of my bald head........
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast