Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

View Poll Results: Do you cut your own hair?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, either always or nearly always cut it myself.

139 58.40%
  • No, I normally pay someone else to do it.

79 33.19%
  • Hair?

26 10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you cut your own hair?

Mom cut it as a kid.
    Wife learned to cut it for me while I served in the Corps.
    After she traded me in for a different model, I learned to cut my own.

Mow it all down with the 1/4" and then taper it up free hand. Although, I almost always have my wife check to make sure I did not miss anything or mess it up in the back. Yeah, there have been a few extreme tapers to fix gouges.

Boolit Master
    I have a little that gets cut. The rest I just polish.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

1/4 on top, fade the rest. Do this every 4 or 5 days. I too have the misses check for patches when I'm done, but I have to sweep up my own hair.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Razor on top occasionally hit the other end with scissors.

Boolit Grand Master

My Granddad was a barber and taught Dad to cut his after hours. I'd go with Dad and we would trade cuts. My Son resisted the urge and always wore it long as a rebellion. Now my Daughter cuts mine and my Grandsons.
    Mine used to be extra thick and would sour during a Summer day, but the years have changed that.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I cut mine, wife and the kids. Saves a ton of money I assume.........money that is better spent on things such as primers, powder, molds etc.

Most guys hate it when they start getting grey hair. I usually tell them I'll trade em' 3 quitters for 5 grey. Mine started deserting me in the back and migrated forward. What I disliked most, was the few stragglers than hung on at the top. They looked like weeds growing in a sand lot, I didn't care for that and it's hard trying to 'clean up the lot' by yourself. Even though the wife didn't mind helping.

I had started having it cut to the 1/8th length every 2 weeks. Then went lower, until finally one day I said to heck with it. I shaved it and continue to. Sure, it can be a bit of a hassle at first. But I also looked at the savings I was making doing it myself. I'm not a cheap'o (not there is anything wrong with that), but it dawned on me I'm probably saving myself a few hundred bucks a year doing it myself.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    When it gets out of hand I nip down to the barbers just to tame it.Noticed lately the rain hits the middle bit harder than I would like.I suppose at 80 I am lucky to have any at all
    I'm 62, and mine is starting to thin, getting shorter too. At one time my hair reached my lower back, now it keeps getting closer, and closer to my shoulders. But on the upside I now have hair growing in my ears.

Boolit Master
    I pay a lady to cut mine. Twice a month. Used to I had to have it cut once a week.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    You mean that your hair is 15 yrs old without a haircut? It must be down to your waist. We need pictures.
    it ain't quite that long.
    the split ends or whatever keeps it about 1/3 the way down my back.
    last time I cut it I went with a number-4 in April, by Christmas it was back where it was originally and I gave up.
    it has just pretty much hung out at that length ever since.

Going to be 80 in a couple of months...one of those with full head of hair...no bald spots...very little grey and don't "touch it up"...love the comments about folks thinking I'm part of the Hair Club for men or that I use "Grecian Formula"....Now my 59 year old son is "folically challenged" and has no worry except for shaving his head about once a week....

I go to a real "old time" men's barber shop...model cars and model airplanes on the walls and ceilings...Sports on TV...no appointments...haircut is $15 and no fru fru stink after....Jokes are off color...pool table in the back of the room...no women barbers...kind of refreshing and the men that seem to go there to get their haircuts are all older guys...see very few millennials as they don't cut hair the right way for their "look".

One of the few joys

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have very thick hair which I passed to all three of my children.

My dear departed first wife cut my hair for years to save money.

Ever since, I have paid to get my hair cut and beard trimmed. Tried trimming my beard myself on New Years Day 1990, that was an error. Had to shave it all off because I did such a bad job. I had a beard for so long my own mother didn't recognize me.

I tried trimming it again in the early 2000s, screwed it up again. Haven't tried since.

Lady that cuts my hair is a family friend who does it as a vocation, she cuts and styles hair for everyone in my family. I get a hair cut and beard trim every 4 weeks. Costs about $13, I give her a $20 bill($7 tip).

I just had my first haircut and beard trim since last spring about a week ago. I had lost my hair and beard due to chemotherapy treatments and it hadn't started to re-grow until early January. It is growing slowly but even thicker than it was originally if that is even possible, also a bit more grey. Beard seems thicker also and definitely more gray.

Having been completely bald for the best part of the previous year, I am quite content to pay for haircuts again.

Moderator Emeritus

No disrespect to Barbers, as I have one friend that is a CB member that is a barber, in Texas I believe?
    BUT, I have never had a haircut by a Barber, that I was happy with. I Mom always cut my hair, til I moved out of my parents house when I was 20, afterwhich I tried all kinds of barbers and hair stylists, and was never happy. So, whenever possible, I would time a visit with my Mom for a haircut...til 1997, I bought a Flowbee...I have cut my own hair, with the flowbee, ever since...I suspect my Mom was as happy with my purchase, as I was.

PS, I even dated a hairstylist for some time, when I first moved to Glencoe...She was the worse hair cutter of them all...more of a butcher.

==========
    PSS, I've always kept my hair short, but not a crewcut...the beard varies...this photo was taken last fall, while cutting up a Ash tree and a neighbor/friend's yard.

Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 04-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Perma-Banned
    the 'Hair?' choice don't really fit but, neither do the other two choices. look at my avatar & it's obvious I haven't shaved in years but, I used to put the 3/4 inch comb on the clippers & go over my head about every three or four months. then the she-griz got complainin' it was too short. I said it always grows back. she said it's still too short. I said it's either this or I let it go. that was about 5 or 6 years ago. now I got kind of a Leon Russell/ZZTop/Duck Dynasty/Geico Caveman thing goin' on.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    PSS, I've always kept my hair short, but not a crewcut...the beard varies...this photo was taken last fall, while cutting up a Ash tree and a neighbor/friend's yard.
    Your tree cutting technique is a bit "different". Most people I know do not put the tree in their lap when they are cutting it with a chain saw.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it ain't quite that long.
    the split ends or whatever keeps it about 1/3 the way down my back.
    last time I cut it I went with a number-4 in April, by Christmas it was back where it was originally and I gave up.
    it has just pretty much hung out at that length ever since.
    Last time mine was cut was 2000, had an old court case I had to testify. Hasn't been cut since, except the wife messed it up once thinking she could even it. She ended up cutting about 4 inches off. Now it is getting shorter, still to the middle of my back though. When in my 50's I used to get a lot of female attention. Now I only get it at Christmas time.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Your tree cutting technique is a bit "different". Most people I know do not put the tree in their lap when they are cutting it with a chain saw.
    Yeah I noticed that too. At first thought he was going to say he used the chainsaw to cut hair or trim beard, then I got to wondering about exactly what safety equipment would make a fellow feel comfortable using a chain saw on their lap. First thought was not gonna be comfortable no matter what. Then I thought maybe this was right after a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Last time mine was cut was 2000, had an old court case I had to testify. Hasn't been cut since, except the wife messed it up once thinking she could even it. She ended up cutting about 4 inches off. Now it is getting shorter, still to the middle of my back though. When in my 50's I used to get a lot of female attention. Now I only get it at Christmas time.
    I was in Taiwan for a month back in Nov-Dec 2015 and did not take my electric clippers with me. I mowed it down to a burr before leaving and thought it would last me for the month I was going to be there. Well, it was getting pretty shaggy and white by middle of December and as I was traveling around Taipei and some of the other areas, I would have young kids pointing at me and telling their mothers -- "Look, mom... Santa!!!"

Electric trimmer and double edged safety razor for the head.

Straight blade for the face.

Hair gets in the way of activities, makes me too hot, beard makes me too itchy. My wife says I shouldn't shave my head because I have a funny looking skull. I tell her that I'm married so I don't care.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    ==========
    Now that's a tree! Those cuts look large enough for a nice table!

Ken H>

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast