Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Roll your own"? Please stop it!!!

Banned
    I rolled my own cigarettes for several years. Every time I was low on funds went to Bugle or Top or Kite. Prince Albert and other all round pipe tobacco's are all too expensive. I once bought a pack of Standard Tobacco. My grandfather used to chew it. My dad said in the old days they used to smoke it. So I bought a pack. (about half the price of Bugle) As I was rolling my first cigarette with it my dad noticed and said, "you're not going to smoke that stuff are you?" I reminded him that he was the one that told me of the old time guys smoking it. He said, "yeah but those guys were tough, and they didn't live long". So I took a very careful puff and barely inhaled it. Dam near puked coughing. It buuuurned going down. That was the last of the Standard Tobacco. I quit smoking in 1986. But If I was still smoking I would not only be rolling my own but I would be growing my own tobacco too. Don't know how people can afford $6 for a pack of cigarettes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I've posted this many times. People will defend the term "boolit" all day long.
    Yes. There is a definite difference between "Boolits" and "Bullets". Easily explained in this very forum...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

People have always used languages a bit "creatively." It's the playfulness in our natures, and maybe with a bit of appreciation for irony, with a bit of love for analogies, that I think are at the root of this phenomena. I'm a southerner, and we've long been noted for using our language "creatively." It's kind of an effort at an "inside joke," too, I think?

It's been said that 90% of all human communication is NON-verbal, and how we say things can be a reflection of that also. (shrug) In my world, as long as someone's trying to be friendly and find a bit of a joke in something, inside or outside, I'm OK with it. Beats the heck out of arguing, complaining and fighting! But that's just me. More technically inclined folks probably don't like "figurative" use of the language. That's OK too. "Different strokes for different folks, I guess?

Sometimes, I wonder that we're able to communicate with each other at all!

Boolit Master
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes.The foibles of the English language.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned

Charles Askins put out a little hard backed book titled 'come roll your own' way back in the day.
    it explained re-loading and had some load details in it.

I have it here somewhere, but ain't seen it since the wife decided our bedroom needed to be in the basement room I was building as a gun room.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    In the same context there is the term "Tailor mades", referring to ammunition specifically formulated for a particular gun.......and we are all guilty, proudly, of doing that. Comes under the heading of "load development".

Boolit Master
    The Term Roll Your Own. with Loading Dates back to early Flint and Earlier . I have read in early shooting Books that people did not melt lead . , They pressed it Into shape possibly to form balls or early slug type.
    I guess they had some type of hand mold That pressed soft lead. . This might be True. considering The cost and the availability of Fire and iron to melt and Mold.. Well that was my take on It
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

I think that roll your own might have came from when you cast round balls and you roll them to take the sharp edges off. before you shot them to get a better pattern with them.In the past i did a test of cast my own 00 buck shot in a 410 and shot some with out roll my own and there was no pattern and then when I roll my own I had a pattern on them.I also have hear of roll your own like it used like stated.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

My Grandpa Hembree rolled his own smokes from Bull Durham. Started smoking in Oklahoma at age 11. Died of lung cancer. In his book "Roughing it" Mark Twain talked about the handguns he and his companions carried and described one as "carrying a shot like a homeopathic pill requiring all 7 to make a dose for an adult"
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

It is good to be able to control your supply of things that it is hard to live without.

In my case it is much cheaper to stock up on Red Dot powder and primers, keep some lead on hand. That keeps ALL my guns shooting. As compared to paying a dollar a round for rifle, 25-50 cents a round for pistol and about the same for shotgun.

Red Dot may not always be the best powder in all situations but it always goes bang. It is thrifty on the pocketbook. Especially if you are comparing 5 grains of RD compared to 45 or 50 grains of a rifle powder. For what I do that is good enough. YMMV.

In our address we spell bullits as boolits, with a little investigating in our history you will find, if I remember correctly, when the group was trying to name our web sight they wanted a name that would stand out from all the other bullit sights. So one of the wives made the comment as to spelling bullits as boolits. That is the history lesson of today. As to calling things by names that I just don't relate to, well my hippy days are long gone andsome I wish to forget. Bullits are jacketed and boolits are poured in molds useing lead as the filler. I also reload, it is just that simple.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RGrosz View Post
    Grandpa didn't like Prince Albert, now Sir Walter Reilly (sp) was his preferred.
    "Raleigh" is the spelling you are looking for. I'm from NC and I probably got it wrong on every school paper I ever wrote it on. I usually get it right these days, but just now, I got to thinking about it too much and got it wrong!

I do enjoy my southernisms, especially those with roots in farming or Appalachia.

Banned

"PILLS" the best. They kill you. Go to the doc for pills and die faster. He could shoot you with a pill from a gun. But he wants years of kickbacks from drug companies.
    I also hate the slang. Bore or groove? Bullet or round? I try to keep straight.
    One thing I never understood is "Lock and load". Please explain where that came from.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    In our address we spell bullits as boolits, with a little investigating in our history you will find, if I remember correctly, when the group was trying to name our web sight they wanted a name that would stand out from all the other bullit sights. So one of the wives made the comment as to spelling bullits as boolits. That is the history lesson of today. As to calling things by names that I just don't relate to, well my hippy days are long gone andsome I wish to forget. Bullits are jacketed and boolits are poured in molds useing lead as the filler. I also reload, it is just that simple.
    CD
    Darn it you hillbilly, it is bullet. . Boolit is CAST.

Raleigh" is the spelling you are looking for. I'm from NC and I probably got it wrong on every school paper I ever wrote it on. I usually get it right these days, but just now, I got to thinking about it too much and got it wrong!

Thank You, that's correct on the spelling. Used the cans to hold grasshoppers and fishing worms when we went fishing and during combining oats on his farm'

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    "PILLS" the best. They kill you. Go to the doc for pills and die faster. He could shoot you with a pill from a gun. But he wants years of kickbacks from drug companies.
    I also hate the slang. Bore or groove? Bullet or round? I try to keep straight.
    One thing I never understood is "Lock and load". Please explain where that came from.
    My understanding is that it originated sometime around WWII, when American soldiers would "lock" in an enbloc clip and automatically a round was "loaded" into the chamber. There could be other theories though.

Boolit Bub
    I want to play too: The one that confounds me is using "BBL" as short for "barrel".

Boolit Master

One of my sisters-in-law is a Professor of Languages at a large University in the Midwest.

She once commented that spoken language is such an inefficient way to communicate, it's a wonder we can ever make ourselves understood to anyone.

Different words mean different things at different times and places. Some words have been commandeered to have a completely different meaning, for political purposes (for instance "gay"). Some words will get a laugh in one nation, and get you punched in another.

Me ? I don't much care.
    As I get older, I first thought I was getting more patient with others. Now I understand that I just don't really care about what others think, do, or say all that much.

Refers to cigarettes. That's where the term came from.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I want to play too: The one that confounds me is using "BBL" as short for "barrel".
    There is actually a storage barrel that has three words for a name, which escapes me at the moment, but the abbreviation is BBL. Somehow it came to refer to a rifle barrel. Don't ask me how.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast