Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Looking for information/advice for home surveillance setup

Boolit Buddy

Looking for information/advice for home surveillance setup

I've been pondering the idea of hooking up a surveillance system for my house to keep an eye on the house as well as my mischievous dogs and possible problems. It wouldn't be a closed circuit deal because I'd like to be able to check on it from my laptop or iPhone. I'm thinking I could use motion detecting cameras for this to help use the system to its full potential verse scanning across several cameras a minute. I know nothing about this stuff and I haven't done any of the research I should have. Of course this is all just and idea for right now. I still have to come up with a plan and get it by the wife.
    I live on 2.4 acres and it's a small home. Approximately 1200 square foot. It has 3 bedrooms and a large kitchen and living room. I'm thinking of doing cameras at the entrance and possible one more for the outside. Inside I'd like to cover the kitchen and living room and possibly somewhere else but to get anywhere in the house you either have to go through the kitchen or living room. Any ideas or knowledge on this stud would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I just want it mainly to keep an eye on the dogs as I generally always feel like I leave them outside when I go to work. Anything beyond that is a bonus to me.

Boolit Master
    Every time I listen to Rush Limbaugh , I hear about a wireless system that you can install yourself this has often interested me .

Banned

Simply Safe

Boolit Master
    I use Ring. Have one on the doorbell and one over the driveway. Motion activated, infrared, smartphone control. Cloud storage. Not the best on the market but they work very well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I built my own using raspberrypi devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Geese or Guiena Hens wont be anything you wont know about. Other wise some trail cameras allow for using an interent or I phone to check also

Boolit Master

Smile

Oorrrr. Put up two Pakistanii flags and an Isis Flag so the government will watch your house.

Boolit Master

There is too much to write about. Motion detection would not be ideal if the dogs are not in kindles,as you would get tons of false alarms. Inside the house detection,is kinda useless. If they have breached inside your home it is too late. Most all systems can be accessed by Ipod or phone and onto your computer or TV.
    Systems are Network Video Recorder(NVR) and DVR. Network stores the video "on the web" while DVR is in home on a HDD. For four cameras a hard drive lasts about 7-10 days before it records over the previous images. Network is 2-3X more expensive.
    There are wired system and wireless systems. Wireless is more $$$ and usually poorer images. The advantage is easier install. Power supplies or batteries must power each camera. The wired systems has a co-ax and power cord bonded together for camera video and power. Of course to use a wired system you must be able to get a co-ax cable to the camera location.
    Of course, the image quality varies greatly with price as well as IR night images.
    Sam's has a 4 camera DVR with 1080 image quality and night vision to 80 ft. for $299. It is made by Samsung.

Boolit Master

Kennels not kindles auto spellauto spell

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    I use Foscam camera's and taken a spare computer, and dedicated it as a camera system. The Foscam's are both wired and wireless, depending on the location. The wired ones, I use the PPOE for power. I believe the software is use is iSpy (I would have to go look). There are modules that you can purchase, that expands the capability to notify you via txt or email, send snapshot of video, even some License Plate recognition software, that will record license plates, and place it into a spreadsheet, helps identify vehicles that aren't supposed to be on your street. Have been thinking about getting a dome PTZ to put in back yard, so I can keep eye on grandkids as the play in the back

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Geese or Guiena Hens wont be anything you wont know about. Other wise some trail cameras allow for using an interent or I phone to check also
    We've got Rouen ducks. Dog, coyote, fox, skunk, opossum, hawk or owl, sparrow too close to their food, neighbors chickens, snake, are all treated with the same alarm as is a car or person. They finally got used to deer, rabbits and squirrels...... if they keep their distance.

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Milestone (https://www.milestonesys.com/). They have a free product that records up to 8 cameras. I does have to be registered yearly though. Easy to do. Milestone has a web and android/ios aps.

I have 7 cameras. Need about 4TB of storage for recording. Using a mix of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-...sion+ip+camera
    https://www.amazon.com/IPC-HDW4431C-Network-Camera-International-Version/dp/B06WP9P69N/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1492617527&sr=8-6&keywords=dahua+camera

Boolit Master

Walmart sells a $70 camera that you can zoom/pan from your cellphone - OK for just checking in - not really surveilance but cool .