Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Decided to get a pneumatic pump rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    I need comb kits in almost every gun. Even iron sights if I want to have a full cheek weld for best accuracy.
    Been using these simple graco 870 model for years.
    https://graco-corp.com/product-categ...comb-hardware/
    Then I use a coping saw to cut the comb out. If you know someone with a nice band saw and decent cutting skills it will make for a better cut. Or you can send the stock to someone like Ken Rucker and have him install a kit.
    Thanks for the link. I just took a look at that web site, and the 870 kit you mentioned looks simple enough, good price too.

I do have a good friend that has a good band saw set up, so i can easily see taking on a project like this , plus the rifle is super accurate and worth getting it set up right....Thanks again.

Banned

the old workhorse 397 got scoped again ...

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    the old workhorse 397 got scoped again ...

Nice set up. I've got the same rail mount for mine.

My plan was to turn the rail around backwards and let the long end hang out over the stock and mount a short 3x9 bug buster scope on it. I was hoping that would leave enough room in front of the scope to pump the rifle in the normal manner.

I happened to see a pic of that very set up on one of the airgun sites the other night and from the pic it looks like it will work just like i was hoping it would.
    Lol, already told the gf what i want for my birthday in July.

Finished getting the peep sight dead center for windage today, which is somewhat of a chore. It would really be nice if Williams included a screw adj. for windage like they do for elevation on this model.
    I wound up keeping the 40 yd. zero elevation for 8 pumps(pellet hits dead on top of the front post)to get the most range for hunting.

With a bit of Kentucky windage(elevation), it just eats ragged holes in 12 oz. coke cans turned end ways at 50 yds. with just about any kind of improvised rest.
    I'll report back on it when i get the scope, but i think the most fun will probably be shooting it with the peep most of the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	197407
    Sorry for the sloppy pic. I see i managed to cut off some of notes on the right.
    Anyway, the first 5 shots rested at 21 yds. went into .366" c to c with my peep sights holding 6:00 at the bottom of the dot.

I took another shot offhand at the bottom of the black diamond at the same distance, which is the shot high left of diamond, and then one more offhand at 6:00 on the bottom of the dot and hit 1 pellet low of my .366" group and opened it to .425".

Lol, wish i had'nt taken the last offhand shot at my .366" group, but was pleased to see it go that close to the rested group.

This was with crosman premier pyranahs.
    Think i've found my hunting pellet.

This was with 8 pumps for each shot and the peep sights.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 06-11-2017 at 11:25 PM.

[attach=config]197450[/attach
    Little better pic of the whole target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  

I'd say that is looking good. Critters better make for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I'd say that is looking good. Critters better make for the hills.
    Thanks GhostHawk,

Everything you have told me about the Benji pumps has been just as you said.
    It's for sure this one "shoots" better than i can "see" and hold with peep sights.
    Hope to have it scoped with some type of AO style scope soon. One with mil dots should allow for some very accurate long range shooting...can't wait.

Put my set 6 power leupold scope back on the 392 and turned the rail backwards to hang over the shoulder stock more. This let me get a better cheek weld on the highest part of the comb...still could use some building up in that area of the stock, but was much better than before. I could tell i had a bit of parralax problem at 50 yds., but not near as much as before..maybe a half inch left, right, up and down at the most.
    I could shoot pretty relaxed with this setup the way it is and a adjustable objective scope, or just a bit of build up on the comb will solve the parralax.

I sighted in at 25 yds. about a half inch high and moved to 50 yds. I was just shooting off a little round metal stand like a flower vase would sit on using my rear bag to rest the rifle on and a stool no more than 7" high with my shooting arm rested on my knee.

The shot cycle is so smooth on this little pneumatic rifle, i could easily watch the pellets fly to the target...even at 50 yds.
    Even with the "not so stable rest" set up, my groups while shooting at 50 yds. were 1" or less, with the biggest one being 1 1/4" and the smallest about 5/8"
    for just 3 shot groups.
    I was moving the scope a bit between groups to get perfectly centered at 50 yds. and getting dark quick, so didn't bother with 5 or ten shot groups today.

I intend to have a AO bug buster scope on it by my birthday in a couple of weeks. I'll get my portable bench rest set up then with a rock solid front and rear rest and try to cut those groups in half? We'll see. I'll try to post some more picks then on targets and the scope set up.

At a half inch high at 25 yds, it only dropped about an inch at 40 and about 3 1/2" at 50 yds.
    I found that the tip of my bottom vertical post was dead on at 50 yds. Lol, wherever you put that post on the bottom of a 12 oz. coke can at 50 yds. is exactly where the pellet hits. Lol, i seemed to do better on the cans than the targets.

Btw, i didn't have to remove the peep sight to install the rail, so it's still sighted in with the irons to, just can't see them with the rail mount on.
    I like everything about this set up so far.

May want to look at the Hammers 3x9x32 AO scope at Amazon for 52$.
    Mildot reticule for easy holdover. Will focus down to less than 20 feet for indoor shooting, or out over 100 yards.

Glass is clear and sharp, is designed to stand up to magnum class spring guns. So that little pumper of yours will be nothing to it.

I have 2 of these and would say they are easy worth double what I paid for them.
    Ohhh and they ship standard with a 1 piece mount designed to take the abuse.

Ghost hawk,

I like the sound of the hammer scopes, and told my brother about them. He has a Hatsan 95 in .22 cal.j
    I'm thinking of the bug buster scope for the Benji, because it's so short. I'm hoping I can get my hand in front of it to pump in the normal fashion.
    I've got a springer in mind I'd like to have and the hammer sounds like a great choice for that one.
    I like the fact the hammer's come with the one piece solid mounts for sure. If it's holding up on your 135, it' got to be a good scope....great price too.
    Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234