Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decided to get a pneumatic pump rifle

Boolit Master

While the weight and durability of iron sights are big plusses. Back in the day, my eyesight was much better, I only had one air rifle so I shot it enough to just "know" where to hold.
    Now I have many rifles, I do not really know any of them well enough to just "know" where to hold.

Perhaps the best solution is to get rid all but one rifle. Yah, right that aint gonna happen......

Here is what I'm putting on my .25 marauder http://athlonoptics.com/product/talo...lr-ffp-ir-mil/
    Still have to make or buy a rail to set the scope far enough forward to see through it while shooting slung up prone.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Reminds me of this VetNam place that was in Port Author,Texas that was taking uneating portions off the plate and putting them on other people's plates instead of dumping in the trash.I think that this is true because it was on the evening news is how I remember it and thinking that I had taken my family there to eat.lol
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Appreciate the replys about putting a regular scope on the pneumatics. I thought it would be okay.

I don't see me leaving a scope on this one all the time...just would like to see just how accurate this little rifle really is lol. If i like the scope set up on it, i can get something with mildots and maybe variable power and parallax later on.

Clodhopper, that's going to be a super nice setup when you get it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Reminds me of this VetNam place that was in Port Author,Texas that was taking uneating portions off the plate and putting them on other people's plates instead of dumping in the trash.I think that this is true because it was on the evening news is how I remember it and thinking that I had taken my family there to eat.lol
    ???....Think i missed the point on this one?

I ordered the scope base, rail, and rings for the 392 Thursday. "Should" be here tommorrow.
    Meantime i did some more iron sight shooting and today did some more steel dog food can testing @ 50 yds.
    Crosman hp would penetrate one side and put a dent and a split you could see daylight through on the other side.
    Gamo pointed magnums @ 15.42 gr. were fully penetrating both sides and not even moving the cans.

Can't wait to do some scoped shooting with this little rifle. Definitely impressed with what i would consider a medium power air rifle.

Well, i put the bases and rail over the breech area and used low weaver rings to mount the scope on the rail.
    Using my 6 power leupold i could barely get part of my chin on the stock to see through the scope...not good for parallax lol.
    You would definitely need a raised cheek comb to go on the stock to keep your eye in proper alignment with the scope on this one.

I think even with a parallax adj. scope you would still have problems with this stock design without some kind of raised cheek piece on the stock.

I did shoot some very good groups at 25 yds. with it, but the slightest head movement on the stock and i could watch the crosshairs seemingly move over 2" or more.

I think the scout mounts that mount a pistol scope low over the bbl. would be a better setup for the way the stock is designed on the 392.
    Anyway, for now i took the scope off and went back to the irons.

I may look for a raised cheek piece, or make one for scope use on this rifle, but would rather go to the scout mounts than do that, as i think the overall balance of the gun would be better that way.

In the meantime, i'm just going to order a peep sight for it.

I have a Handi rifle with a shotgun stock. I ended up buying one of the strap on ammo carriers/pouch for it. Once I had it in place I grabbed a 3" chunk of swim noodle and started carving.

Within 15 minutes I had my comfortable check weld and I was strapping down and locking it tight.

Been a simple effective method of getting that check weld you need.

One of the things I love about the Hatsan 135 is that it has an adjustable check riser. 2 screws, losen them, play with it till you get it where you want it. Try it, tweak it. Then lock it down and there you are. Perfect check weld.

Like you I have found I have my best results when I leave the scopes off the pumpers.

Yeah, i agree about the scopes on the pumpers...for one thing they're so light and handy, you kind of hate to hang the extra weight on it.
    It's still a light package even with the scope added, but the balance isn't the same.

Had a brain storm though lol...i turned the rail backwards on the breech mounts and let the longest part hang back out along the stock.
    That puts my cheek against the highest part of the comb. Still have to raise my head more than i like to see in the scope, but it's better.

Think if i rig something up to raise the comb about 1" it will be perfect.
    Something to play with anyway.

Boolit Master
    "Think if i rig something up to raise the comb about 1" it will be perfect.
    Something to play with anyway.

How about an elastic sleeve with a section of foam insulation tubing under it?

I have a molded hardened leather cheek piece I use on several of my rifles.
    I took a piece of very thick saddle skirt leather that had been water damaged then dried out to much to use for anything else and soaked it in scalding hot water till it softened. I then let it dry to a clay like consistency and wrapped around some plastic pipe . while still moldable I cut it to the shape of a roll over cheek piece, did a bit more shaping and let it dry till hard as wood.
    The surface was already marred so once dried thoroughly I soaked inner and outer surfaces with spray paint.
    The piece fits most butt stocks tightly enough for temporary use, but could be held tighter with double sided tape or glued or tacked in place if the finish of the stock is not a concern.
    I made another for a ratty old Enfield stock by stacking layers of leather and trimming to shape before adding the cheek piece. That one was glued and nailed solidly in place. The finished stock was painted and looks as if made that way.

Yes, an elastic sleeve, or a leather lace up type like Ghost Hawk mentioned. Either type would work.
    i've got an old shotgun slip on type shell holder around somewhere..also have leather for making archery gear like back quivers.
    I'll get something made up for it.

Ordered a peep for my 392, it should be here tommorrow. The regular irons work pretty well, but at 50 yds. i start seeing 2 targets after awhile lol.

I think the peep will be a big aid for my old eyes.

you may need to make the front sight taller , the rear peep will not go low enough. I ended up using a small piece of sheet metal pinched on the original blade with a little JB Weld to make it about .080" taller ( experiment before making it permanent )

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Enfield,

I was worried about that very thing after reading several reports about having to build up the front post, or file some of the bottom of the peep sight itself.
    I was very relieved to find out it's virtually dead on at 7 yds. with a 6:00 hold with the sight bottomed out.
    Makes me wonder if crosman is making the front post a bit taller now, or i just got lucky with where the holes in the reciever of my rifle were bored?
    I'll know more when i get it outside tommorrow and shoot at longer ranges.

It's definitely made a difference in my grouping even at close range already.
    It was already bug holes at 7 and 10 yds. with the original sights, and with the peep, it's more like a pellet and a half size hole for 5 shots even with my less than perfect eyesight at close ranges like this.

If i find it shooting high at longer ranges, i'll definitely build the front sight up a bit though. The way it seems to be shooting, it'll be worth the time and trouble to do it if i have too.

Shot with the peep sight all afternoon today. All of you guys that suggested the peeps over the irons that come with the gun were right lol....difference as in night and day.

Got lucky and with the peep bottomed out with a 6:00 hold it was about 3/8" high at 21 yds., and about an 1/8" high(as far as i could tell) at 30 yds. It was about 2" low at 40 and about 4 1/2" low at 50 yds.

Thinking about sighting it in dead on at 50 yds. and just cut the amount of front sight sticking up in the peep for closer ranges for hunting.

Of course if you had 8 pumps on the rifle and forgot to cut the sight a bit at 25 yds., you would be about 2" high.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Shot with the peep sight all afternoon today. All of you guys that suggested the peeps over the irons that come with the gun were right lol....difference as in night and day.

Got lucky and with the peep bottomed out with a 6:00 hold it was about 3/8" high at 21 yds., and about an 1/8" high(as far as i could tell) at 30 yds. It was about 2" low at 40 and about 4 1/2" low at 50 yds.

Thinking about sighting it in dead on at 50 yds. and just cut the amount of front sight sticking up in the peep for closer ranges for hunting.

Of course if you had 8 pumps on the rifle and forgot to cut the sight a bit at 25 yds., you would be about 2" high.
    Don't forget your zero will change for each pump level.
    I have mine set up for 5 pumps at 30 yards for plinking and fun.
    At 8 pumps.... shooting jsb match I'm getting just under 700fps with these pellets. I zero at 18-20ish,yards and the pellet will hit about 1" high about half way to the 35-40 yard range.
    Now I have a crosman 1400 pumper that's always by the door for garden patrol which is 20 yards from door to garden and I just have it POA/POI zero at 20 yards. You can down load chairgun pro for free and it's a fun calculator and pretty darn on spot. You can figure out the point blank range that works best for you.

Boolit Master
    Well, i put the bases and rail over the breech area and used low weaver rings to mount the scope on the rail.
    Using my 6 power leupold i could barely get part of my chin on the stock to see through the scope...not good for parallax lol.
    You would definitely need a raised cheek comb to go on the stock to keep your eye in proper alignment with the scope on this one.

I think even with a parallax adj. scope you would still have problems with this stock design without some kind of raised cheek piece on the stock.

I did shoot some very good groups at 25 yds. with it, but the slightest head movement on the stock and i could watch the crosshairs seemingly move over 2" or more.

I think the scout mounts that mount a pistol scope low over the bbl. would be a better setup for the way the stock is designed on the 392.
    Anyway, for now i took the scope off and went back to the irons.

I may look for a raised cheek piece, or make one for scope use on this rifle, but would rather go to the scout mounts than do that, as i think the overall balance of the gun would be better that way.

In the meantime, i'm just going to order a peep sight for it.
    Its really strange crosman has not did a bit of redesign to allow a better scope mount option.... I do get they use a soft alloy to build the 392 so it would be a problem with stripped mounting holes and such. For the most part almost all air guns are going to need a higher comb for scope use

Weve all heard that guy at the range " I filed the front sight 3 times and it still shoots too high "

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Mac1911,

I really like the adj. cheekpiece on the benji in your pics. That would be ideal!

Got out with the peep again today and sighted it dead on at 40 yds.
    That puts it about an inch high at 20 yds., but was easy to just hold a bit low on close targets and nail them....squirrel heads won't be a problem at all.
    50 yds. was about 2" low.
    I'll shoot a bit indoors tonight to see how it does up really close and have the total sight picture from 0 to 50 yds. down pat.

Boolit Master
    Mac1911,

I really like the adj. cheekpiece on the benji in your pics. That would be ideal!
    I need comb kits in almost every gun. Even iron sights if I want to have a full cheek weld for best accuracy.
    Been using these simple graco 870 model for years.
    https://graco-corp.com/product-categ...comb-hardware/
    Then I use a coping saw to cut the comb out. If you know someone with a nice band saw and decent cutting skills it will make for a better cut. Or you can send the stock to someone like Ken Rucker and have him install a kit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast