Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Die locking rings

Die locking rings

What's your favorite locking rings?

I like RCBS dies,but hate their locking rings. I like Hornady's locking rings,but they contact each other on the Lee Classic turret press.

Also noticed Brownells sells die lock ring pliers. Are these worth owning?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I like the RCBS/Lyman style on my die plates. Crank them down without using the brass set screws. One of those xheap RCBS lock ring wrenches are nice for the die plates. For single stage, the Hornady and Forster style are nice.

RCBS work fine once you figure out the right amount of torque on the set screw to hold without harming the die threads. A piece of lead shot under the set screw is good too.

I just bought some Hornady lock rings for my Lee dies but I am using a Lee classic cast single stage press.

Boolit Master
    I've come to really like the Dillon rings. They are small enough to fit anything and they do the job. No set screws though.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

I like the Lee rings, and use them on all brands of dies.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

It's the RCBS locking rings for me. I ditched the Lee rings - not a fan of those at all....
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

I'm slowly replacing all of mine with Hornady lock rings when they're on sale and I remember. The majority of my dies now have them, although another 20 or so lock rings wouldn't hurt. Use a RCBS JR single stage and a Hornady projector progressive press. When I had a Lee loadmaster it would sometimes take a little finagling to get all hornady lock rings on the dies, and often one die would still end up with a Lee lock ring. The hornady lock rings lock in much better than rcbs or any that use a set screw and lead pellet. Their LNL bushing system seems silly because of it. Hornady should of just gone with a die head like everyone else.

Banned

Hornady Sure-Loc
    and
    for my Lee Breech Lock Presses, Lee Breech Lock Quick Change
    Both have the side locking screw

I've been ditching the Lee rings due to the size on my classic cast. I just can't seem to get them to stay tight and no room to get a tool in to torque.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    On the Lee turret, RCBS rings work best as others are too big and I don't need to use the set screw. I use another style for single stage press that clamps with a screw in the ring as RCBS set screw system sucks.

Hello,

I use the, what, Hornady?, for rifles. The rings tighten.

For pistol on the turret press, I just use Lee's stock rings. They keep everything in place once I snug them down. I hate them for single-stage, though.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Grand Master

IMO lock ring use is misunderstood by many reloaders (lifelong machinist/mechanic here). Many tighten them down way too tight an ruin threads with set screws.

I found the Forster and Sinclair type to work quite well (but I don't remember it the fit on a Lee turret as the Lee dies worked well). Squeezing/"clamping" the thread body is a positive locking method and does not damage the die body threads...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I get mine from CH4D , they have a nice assortment.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I've come to really like the Dillon rings. They are small enough to fit anything and they do the job. No set screws though.
    Use 2 Dillon rings locked together...no set screw needed.
    Get the Dillon wrench too
    thank me later,

Boolit Grand Master

I made a bunch of lock rings and if I by them I buy foresters or any that are also compatable with my bonanza co ax press. Makes life easier for me

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    thank me later,
    Double nutting them is a good trick as it is for many other mechanical applications. Despite no set screw (not a bother to me but some guys insist on them) on the Dillon rings, I never have had them back off on me and I don't crank them down real tight, just snug and all is good! I have the Dillon wrench, actually the whole setup on my 650, a nice item for sure! What I have really come to like is the aftermarket made wrench that I got off Ebay. It is like 1/4" thick stainless, 12pt, and double ended with one end is slotted open to slip around dies. Really handy little wrench!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    The trick to using the set screw on the RCBS rings and not bugger up the threads is to first thread the ring onto the die. Then remove the set screw, put about 3-4 small #8 lead shotgun pellets in the hole. Then put the set screw in, the lead pellets will crush and form to the threads. This way you can still tighten down the set screw but the lead buffer formed by the pellets prevents the threads of the die from getting buggered up. This way if you have to readjust them you can loosen the ring, adjust it, and retighten with no damage.
    Last edited by jetinteriorguy; 04-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    thank me later,
    Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the informative responses.
    I have a line on a used Lyman turret press which might cure the problem of not having enough room for my preferred Hornady rings.

Boolit Buddy
    I like RCBS locking rings....ever since I talked to them and they sent me replacement ones FREE with steel screws. The brass screws would strip out where the allen wrench is used to tighten them. I use the steel "set screws" with a lead #6 shot or 2 in the hole first and then tighten. Like the other guy above said, when you tighten down, the lead forms to the threads and makes it very tight. The only problem with this, is that if you need to change depth, the lead keeps in contact even after loosening the screw, so it does not free wheel like when you first install it. That to me is not a problem, I like for it to stay tight and not move so easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast