Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast boolits for charter arms bulldog

Boolit Mold

Cast boolits for charter arms bulldog

Hey guys!! Newbie here. I have a newer model charter bulldog in 44 spl made in Shelton, Conn. The throat diameter is .436. how would I cast a semi wadcutter that big?

Perma-Banned

That is large...we have one that is .431.

Do you have a mold...if so, what size does it drop. If it is within .003, you could try beagling as I have successfully beagled them that much. Otherwise, I would guess that you would have to get a custom mold like an Accurate mold or the equivalent.

Boolit Mold
    I don't have a mold yet. I have read about lapping the mold out so it drops bigger bullets then sizing them down.

Boolit Master
    My Bulldog is .4315 at the throat, there are a few ways of getting bullets big enough to work. As posted beagling up to .003" works, coating bullets to increase the da with PC or Hi-Tek, or order a custom mold.

Boolit Master

Alternative method: Cast some rock-hard bullets, at their normal diameter, load them over some fast-burning powder, and see what happens. Those of us with .45 AutoRim revolvers with hopelessly oversize cylinder throats have had some success with this, giving up on "slugging up" in the cylinder. It works good enough for target loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    The largest mold I have ( in fact the largest I've ever seen ) is a .434 from a group buy from MP. (Hooray for Miha). Your boolit options are limited. You can look for a mold that casts "largish" and beagle it, though you will need to get a custom sizer, you can have a custom mold made--Accurate can likely help here, or you can try casting very soft boolits and hoping for the boot in base to expand the boolit. Alternatively, write to the Manufacturer and request that they make the gun right. (but don't say that you want to use handloads with homemade boolits.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Wow! That's big. Maybe a hollowbase wadcutter?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Mold
    Im waiting on some pin gages to verify the size. Forgive me guys but what is beagling?

Boolit Buddy

I used the Lee 240 mold to cast for my Bulldog and they did just fine.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn85 View Post
    Forgive me guys but what is beagling?
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/BDE.pdf

Moderator Emeritus

My Bulldog throats ran .430 and shot the 429421 well. Did you use a micrometer or calipers? I would try a remeasure.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

My Bulldog didn't shoot so well with most cast bullets. Then I found out that .430" bullets drop through my it's cylinders. I measured and they're right at .432". So I now cast a larger bullet.

NOE offers a HBWC wadcutter mould: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=37_210 It's says it's .432" but in my experience NOE's run large so I bet it'll cast bullets at least .434"

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Recently required Bulldog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060775.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	193577

Cylinder throats are quite large (.432) but pretty uniform.

Name:	P1060600.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	193579

NOE's 265 PB (solid) at @ 10 yards, sized .432 diameter. This is the bullet of choice for my Marlin 1894 SS.

Name:	P1080235.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	193578

Commercial "hard cast" Magnus 240 RNFP (.430) with 4.5 grains of Bullseye @ 10 yards and DAO. I have a couple of thousand of these bullets laying around for 10 years or more and finally found a way to use them up.

Don't know which model you have but I didn't purchase mine for target shooting. At social distances, I can't complain about the accuracy. BTW, no leading, whatsoever, with either diameter.

Winelover

Did you use calipers to measure the throats? That won't work if you did. It would be best to drive a soft boolit through and measure with an OD micrometer. I find it hard believe that they are .436", but, anything is possible. Before buying a custom mold, I'd call Charter and ask them what their spec is.
    They do have a very good customer service and will send you a fed ex label to ship it free of charge. Just be sure you are certain of the correct size.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    Did you use calipers to measure the throats? That won't work if you did. It would be best to drive a soft boolit through and measure with an OD micrometer. I find it hard believe that they are .436", but, anything is possible. Before buying a custom mold, I'd call Charter and ask them what their spec is.
    They do have a very good customer service and will send you a fed ex label to ship it free of charge. Just be sure you are certain of the correct size.
    ^^THIS^^ If your measurements are correct, I would be sending that back for a replacement. No reason you should have to try to make a factory-new gun work by dumping money into custom molds. C.A. are good people, I have a 70's era Bulldog that has been back to them for repair and their customer service is top notch.

Moderator Emeritus

With the Bulldog, most folks like the lighter bullets, due to their lesser recoil. Personally, I have 3 friends with 3" barreled .44 Specials, and they all use 200 gr. RNFP's in their guns, loaded pretty moderately with 7.0 gr. Unique. They're getting fine accuracy, for the purpose it was designed for, and quicker follow up shots, which can be a biggie. I think they're mostly using the Lee 200 gr. RNFPPB bullet. That's the first one I'd go to if it was me. If they don't cast at .431 or larger, I'd "Lee-ment" the mold, to enlarge it very slightly. There's a thread on that in the "Cast Booliits" section of the board, if you're not familiar with it. I've long wanted one of the Bulldogs, but never found one in my area at an attractive price. Most folks who have one, keep them here, so they are few and far between in the shops. That's always a good sign for any gun. Folks don't let go of guns they really LIKE!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    I did measure with calipers. I have ordered pin gages also and will slug the throats if I have time over the weekend.

Boolit Mold
    Okay guys. So I got some .432 bullets in and the drop straight through the throats...

How about getting one of the NOE Hollow Base Wadcutter or SWC HB molds. The skirt could expand to fit proper upon firing.

.44 SWC Hollow Base (might check. it may also come with optional base pins that will make it a plain base for other uses)
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=2822

.44 Wadcutter Holow Base (note: load reverse for Huge Hollow Point, or as above ask about plain base pins?)
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=898

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn85 View Post
    Okay guys. So I got some .432 bullets in and the drop straight through the throats...
    Try them, you never know!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast