MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Cowboy dies worth getting

Boolit Master

Are Cowboy dies worth getting

I have both the standard die sets and the cowboy die sets made by RCBS in 357 and 45-70. If there is a difference other than cosmetic my calipers cannot find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    The Cowboys dies that I own have a larger expander, and a larger seating die. The larger seater allows a larger bullet to slide up into the seating section of the die.

Most people will never find the seating die difference without a small hole gauge or a set of .001 increment pin gages.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I wanted another set of .38/357 dies anyway and since I cast my own, jumped on the Cowboy dies when I saw them in sale a year or so ago I got a set. They are very pretty and do the job as expected.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Man
    As stated, the RCBS "Cowboy" dies are same as the regular RCBS dies except for the expander. For example, the standard expander for a .45 Colt is ~ .495. The Cowboy expander die comes with 2 expanders. One is labeled .452, which is actually ~ .4502" and made for jacketed bullets. The other expander is labeled as .454, which is actually .4525 and made for lead bullets.

If you already have an M die (.45 Colt as an example), that will also measure ~ .495 but the larger RCBS expander will work in the M die and can be purchased for around $6.00.

If you have oversized throats and want to go to a larger expander, Buffalo Arms can make whatever size you want that will fit the M die. It is about a 4 week turn-around to order one.

If you have a Lee expander die then NOE sells the expander buttons that work in the Lee die and are in stock. Personally I much prefer the M die.

Take into account spring back on newer brass. Personally I shoot for .003 - .005 neck tension especially when using slow powder.

Boolit Master
    I have been reloading cast lead 30 years before cowboy dies came out. never had a problem. so I say just a p.r. trick.

Boolit Master
    Not really.
    You can measure the dies and find definite differences. The average reloader will not care much but they are definitely different and accomadate a larger bullet in the seater that you cannot seat in the standard RCBS die. This is based on measuring multiple sets in 40-65, a set of 38-55, 32-20 and 32-40. For jacketed bullet shooters they don't do much for you.

The really can make a difference in the 38-55. Some 38-55s have .380 to .383 groove diameters and the larger bullets required will not fit in a standard seater die.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have been reloading cast lead 30 years before cowboy dies came out. never had a problem. so I say just a p.r. trick.
    EDG

Banned

^^^ Yes, the seaters and expanders are for cast bullets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Yes, expander is larger for cast.
    I ordered a CBY expander 45-70 (9914) made by RCBS and it measures .4555 x .463. Will not work with ny cast bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12