RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 extractor issue

Boolit Master

1911 extractor issue

Last time out my 1911 (AMT Hardballer LS) wasn't ejecting spent brass consistently.
    This afternoon, after a couple U-tube tutorials I pulled the extractor and adjusted the tension. It now passes the loaded round drop test. Going to see if extraction is any better tomorrow.
    i own a couple 1911's, best shooters I have but somewhat intimidating (to me) when it comes to DIY repairs.
    It's amazing how much info is out there (on the web).

Boolit Buddy
    Another thing you might want to check is if the extractor is clocking, meaning rotating after it settles down. I chased a springfield for awhile that would be ok after adjusting it and after a couple mags would start acting up again. I installed a EGW oversized firing pin stop and problem went away.

Boolit Master
    If the gun was reliable up until the last outing you have likely already solved your problem. Two most common problems with 1911s seem to be extractor tension issues and weak springs in the magazine.

It is amazing the wealth of information that is out there. Just be careful there is a lot of junk to filter through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Thanks 2nd A & sac, it sullying them out of the chamber now.
    Sac, do you mean oversized stop like its wider to fit tight against the extractor?

Boolit Master
    That's what he meant. You can imagine that if the stop is a bit too narrow that the extractor will tend to rotate, this is extractor clocking.

Boolit Buddy
    Bmi48219, yes you have to fit the FPS to the slide and extractor. I think it is worth the time to do.

Banned
    Bmi48219:

This is all great advice you are getting. I have an Auto Ordnance that was well used when I bought it. After frustrating times adjusting and readjusting the extractor I replaced the extractor with a Wilson Combat and the firing pin stop with an over-sized one that I had to hand fit.

The channel that the firing pin stop rides in was a little wallowed out from use.

I took my time with a good file and hand fit the stop to the channel. A little cold blueing then re-assembly and now it is very reliable.

Boolit Master

1911 extractor issue

As others have said, you may need a new FPS. BUT change one thing at a time. Now that you know how to check extractor tension and adjust it test fire your gun before doing anything else. I might also recommend cleaning the extractor and extractor hole in the frame as part of your regular 1911 maintenance. Crud can get in there and cause tension issues. 1911s can seem daunting at first, but with a little knowledge and experience you will come (if not already) to appreciate the ingenious JM Browning design.

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone, I'm going to run a couple hundred rounds through it & see if it continues to work. Probably start researching the FPS fitting procedure too. Good shooting,

Boolit Buddy
    There is a lot of good info at 1911 forum,vand m4carbine.net. And Hilton Yam at 10-8 performance.

Boolit Master

Back to the work bench. Adjusted the extractor tension & went to the range. The results were good, for about 10 minutes. Examined the FPS fit, a lot of movement. Enough to allow me to "clock" the extractor by pushing on top or bottom of the back end. I ordered a new extractor & OS FPS. As loose as the old one seems to be, I may not have to do a lot of filing. Thanks to all for the help.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Back to the work bench. Adjusted the extractor tension & went to the range. The results were good, for about 10 minutes. Examined the FPS fit, a lot of movement. Enough to allow me to "clock" the extractor by pushing on top or bottom of the back end. I ordered a new extractor & OS FPS. As loose as the old one seems to be, I may not have to do a lot of filing. Thanks to all for the help.
    I would also suggest getting the extractor gauges from brownell's if you have a trigger pull gauge.

This may sound dumb, but take out the extractor and look at it from the front. It should be the profile of the letter j.Best, Thomas.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 04-26-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Master

Looking at this pistol closer, the ejector is different from a regular 1911 too. As someone previously noted its welded in instead of being pinned. Also the business end has a different contour. Doesn't appear to be broken. The lead edge is straight & doesn't show any sign of being peaned or porous like it had snapped off. All but one of the 1911 ejectors for sale at Brownells have an arm extending forward of the ejector base.

Attachment 194131Attachment 194132Attachment 194133

Boolit Master

1911 extractor issue

That is a traditional Colt style ejector found on Government models and older guns with GI style ejection ports. The face of your ejector doesn't look out of the ordinary to me, and as long as it wasn't throwing brass into your face it should be fine. Not sure how to remove a welded in extractor, but hopefully you won't need to.

A new extractor with a with a new FPS will likely remedy your problems.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 04-27-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    As 2Anut says, that ejector looks fine. I suspect that it is not welded in, but set in locktite. Grab it with your fingers and see if it rocks either side-to-side or front to back, it should be solid.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes 2Anut and Jim are correct, the longer ejectors where used in commanders to start the fired case out sooner.

Boolit Master
    Ejector is likely not welded but rather locktit or some other similar means kept in place. If you want to take the ejector out put a soldering iron on the ejector so it heats up and breaks the adhesive to see if the ejector will come out.

Boolit Master

Thanks to all for allaying my concer about the ejector's condition. It didn't look at all like the one in my STI & I was worried. It does appear to be welded in though. I can see the welds and the milling marks where they were finished to the surface of the frame. Either way, really happy it looks normal to members that are familiar with the design. Thanks again, I'll post progress on fitting the new FPS & extractor, the should be here tomorrow.

Boolit Master

Lucked out on this one, I think. FEDEX brought my Wilson Bulletproof extractor & EGW Oversize FPS at 2 pm today. FPS fit snug out of the box. Filed the top flat, chamfered the bottom edge & fitted the extractor. Passes the " hold the bullet " test, feeds & ejects rounds cycled through the pistol. Finished before dinner. Range test tomorrow will show if I got it right. Again, thanks to all for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast