RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: 75mm Door Stop

Boolit Master

75mm Door Stop

This projectile has been a door stop in my wifes' family for many decades... It is now a door stop in my house. I don't really know exactly what it was shot from, but it does measure about 75mm, or 3 inches... I think it dates from WWI...

Attachment 193478 Attachment 193479 Attachment 193480 Attachment 193481

I believe the Sherman tanks-among other things, shot 75mm rounds.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow ninja View Post
    I believe the Sherman tanks-among other things, shot 75mm rounds.
    True... a lot of other things did too... the fuze on this is dial-operated; I think this particular round was intended as an air-burst round... anti-personnel??? Clearly, it didn't work and hit the ground so the dials on the fuze won't turn anymore... I don't know if that means anything, but it's a conversation piece...

Boolit Master

That's neat. The french had 75mm as well during WW1, I believe they equipped the US with them as well. Looks to be of that era.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Banned
    Looks like the same kind of round my uncle had his had a proximity fuse on it for AA fire.

Boolit Master

WWI 75 mm. Have a lamp made from one on desk in shop. Carefully examine the shell and fuse, there will be info stamped into both. The frog 75 field gun was given to US troops, not bad for back there. The Huns had a 77mm nick named the " Whizz Bang" as one heard the whizz then bang. Whats inside shell? Ball bearings?=shrapnel, good to have them as usually removed with the explosive charge.BTW, it was fired as there are rifleing marks on rotating band, groves in bronze ring.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

That French 75 was THE field piece in its day. Fast firing and accurate.

Nickname for the french 75 was "saucy can" -- a corruption of the french for 75 -
    It was a really outstanding weapon for its day and served in various US models all through WWII and korea -- perhaps longer

Boolit Master
    My Dad brought this back from one of his TDYs in the Army.

Attachment 194023

Us kids probably dropped it on both feet at least three times.

Boolit Buddy

This thread has some very similar looking shells, the guys talking in that seem to think it is a WWI u.s. shell as 10-x already said

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...s-ww1-era.html

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    French 75 - WWI. As already stated, the standard field piece for most Field Artillery units in WWI. I have a projectile that was made by the father of a good friend of mine who is now deceased. Before he died, he gave it to me and told me that his Dad was 16 and couldn't get in the army so he went to work at Sparks Withington in Jackson, MI. His job was turning the 75mm projectiles. The projectile he gave me was a "reject". It has the original turned plug in the fuze hole that was inserted in the nose for shipping to prevent any thread damage. I found a WWI dated 75m casing and it now is inserted in to the casing. In fact, my wife and I are moving from our house of 40 + years in to a condo and I just moved it yesterday.

I had a cousin who was in Battery C, 328th Field Artillery, 85th Division (Custe Division - trained at Camp Custer in Michigan) who was gassed in the last days of the war and he died in 1922 as a result. I also knew several other Vets of the same regiment and spent many hours talking with them when I was young. They loved the French 75mm. I have another shell casing that was the first one fired by the gun that one of the Vets was assigned to when they went in to action at the very end of the war. Lots of the 75 mm casings were hammered in to "trench art".

The OP's "door stop" is great! A nice souvenir of the war!