Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Comtemplating .....

Comtemplating .....

Apologize if this has been discussed before .
    Wanted everyone's input on this one if you would ...
    We know that with a steady amount of use thru the years or much less , depends on use.
    Jacketed rounds will wear down the barrel after a certain amount of use , especially in the military aspect .
    With this , our casting products that are "lubed" ...
    How long as far as the integrity of the barrel , is there usefulness and with that said ..

Standard lubed , as far as the wax, oil, mix of one form or another ?
    Versus
    Powder coat process ?

Is the Powder coat process to new yet to tell ?

Myself , I have been using Ben"s Red now for quite a while and also his BLL in combo .
    when it comes time to clean the barrel , one swab takes out the powder residue and that is it , mirror finish looking down the barrel.
    Please correct me if I am wrong but does this not leave a thin wax layer/finish in the barrel ?

Have coated a few with the Harbor Freight red but have yet to shoot them , will order some better powder coat paint in the future to try out .

Another gentleman here had a question on what wax was better for the lube and it got me thinking a little more of the big picture
    any how
    thanks
    Digger
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Never heard of anyone that's worn out a barrel with lubed bullets. It's fairly common with jacketed bullets, especially in the magnums. Powder coated bullets are way too new to know whether they are good for barrels or not.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master

I don't have the ingredient list of Powder coating material, but I know some have fillers and what fillers they are I think are a trade secret..You need to be cautious in handling the raw material, it ain't good for your lungs, in fact, it is on the label..

So will they wear your barrel down, I don't think anybody knows just yet, it could also be different with each powder coating..

As far as bullet lube and lead projectiles, I doubt you'll wear out a bore in your life time.

Banned

barrel life with cast exclusively is probably 50-100K rounds.
    a lot of that is pressure and heat induced by the powder burning.
    a light coating of wax in the throat would help protect the steel a little bit, but the 20-30K loads we normally shoot is what really helps.
    think about how many 30-30 model 94's are out there that are still shooting as good as they ever have, and compare that to a 55-K barrels lifetime.

Boolit Grand Master

And the real issue in barrel wear is not the boolit anyway, it is the powder gasses wearing away the throat. Because condom bullets can stand much higher pressure those barrels get worn faster because of the higher pressure powder gasses. Our boolits are launched at a much lower pressure and consequently less powder gas wear.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    One aspect of casting that I think about is the "inheritance" value. My father-in-law gave me his old Win 1894 in 32 WS. It is in mint condition and probably only had a few hundred rounds through it. I'd like to see my kids and grandkids inherit that rifle, but there's no way its going to be a "gunsafe queen." So-- It gets fed only lubed cast bullets.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Molibdeum disulfide and several other dry lube coating were tried when I was shooting High power. these were impact plated into the jacket by a rotary tumbler and steel balls. then a light coat of carnuba wax applied. I did them for several years. On my 243 match gun 2300-2400 rds was about barrel life with plain jacket rounds and 2700-2800 with the coated jacketed bullets. Most of the bad wear comes from the powder burning / sand blasting the throat ahead of the chamber. Those burnt barrels showed cracking pitting from chamber forward 3"-5" then a bright shiny barrel. Throat wear is the big enemy to accuracy. If bores wore then we would be able to increase bullet dia to match.