WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: DIY AR15 Adjustable Gas Block

Boolit Master

DIY AR15 Adjustable Gas Block

So, I'm not a gunsmith, but I like to tinker. Once I got a suppressor, I discovered my brass was covered in soot and the action got very dirty very quickly. I considered buying an adjustable gas block, but the prices seemed high for what you were getting. It seemed simple to drill a hole, tap it, and install a set screw or two. A little internet research and I discovered that's exactly what others are doing to achieve the same effect. I'm no machinist, so I didn't get too fancy.

I started by removing the rail, gas block, and gas tube. I eyeballed a spot on the side of the gas block that seemed to be right in the middle of the gas tube opening and the barrel opening and in line with the gas port. Used a center punch and then drilled through to the gas channel. Then tapped for a 4-40 screw. Ideally, you should use a bottom tap for this. If you use a regular centering tap, you wont get threads cut deep enough. I used a centering tap with the end ground off. I started with this tiny screw because I could go a little bigger but not much and did not want to overdo it. This long screw was the only screw I had and I jam nutted it to hold it in place for testing. Reassembled the gas system but no handguard and test fired.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170417_095549.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	193459
    I know it's hideous, but it was just a proof of concept. But it didn't work. I still had last shot hold open without the suppressor which tells me A) the gun is crazy overgassed and B) I needed a bigger screw.

So I disassembled again, but left the gas tube connected to the gas block this time, as the roll pin is a pain to remove and replace and I didn't need to do it. This time, I drilled out and tapped for a 6-32 screw. Seeing as how the first time I tapped it, I ran the tap all the way in and the screw was kind of loose, I didn't bottom out the tap this time. I test fit the screw and it would barely start to thread in, so I tapped it a little more. This time the screw was snug and after I gently worked it in, it threaded in fully and I don't think it's going to move so a second screw from end, or a jam nut will not be needed.

Name:	20170417_123717.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	193460
    I test fired with the screw fully turned in, and no suppressor. Voila! No last shot hold open! A couple more single rounds confirmed. I turned the screw out 1 turn and fired a couple single rounds. 2 of 3 held the bolt open. One half turn more and I called that the baseline for unsuppressed. With the suppressor attached, I turned the screw all the way in. I had last shot hold open every time. I had hoped I could turn the gas down more, but this is definitely an improvement. I am noticing less soot on the cases, the action seems to be cleaner, I am getting less gas from the ejection port, and the recoil is significantly less.

Name:	20170417_124813.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	193461
    Here you can see the gas adjustment screw is accessible through the rail after it is installed. I plan to tweak this a little more to see if I can restrict the gas a little more, but to me, at least, it is an acceptable alternative to paying $75 or more for an adjustable gas block. I also realize there are many different ways to accomplish this same task and mine is very rudimentary, but it is a starting point. The next logical step would be to increase the size of the screw to 8-32 to further block the gas, but I don't think there is enough room. The thickness of the gas block between the barrel and the gas tube is only .165" and an 8-32 screw has a thread diameter of .164" so if I was off by just a tiny bit, I could hit the barrel or the gas tube. Maybe it would work, but I didn't want to chance it.

What say you all? Worth it? Terrible idea?
    Last edited by petroid; 04-17-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Totally reasonable. This is on my list of things to do on my 300blk build. I am going to drill and tap from the front though. Simple and effective, I like it!
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    Totally reasonable. This is on my list of things to do on my 300blk build. I am going to drill and tap from the front though. Simple and effective, I like it!
    I thought about going from the front for ease of access, but didn't want to drill that deep a hole, as I doubt I could do it straight and theres not much metal between the barrel and the gas tube. My rail gives me easy access from the side so it's not a problem. The first one was my 5.56 upper. I just finished the 300BLK. It works even better. Fully closed I don't even get ejection with subsonic suppressed. 1 1/2 turns out gives me lock back. If it works with subs, supers won't be a problem. I didn't try it without the can, as I'm not worried about subs without the suppressor. It is much less gassy now. The only problem is the rail covers the screw so it would have to be removed to adjust. I'm not overly worried about it. If I decide to make some changes after further shooting, I can remove the rail and adjust it. Drilling from the front of the gas block would not be an option on the Blackout as the pistol gas system is so short, you would need a 10 inch long allen wrench to turn the screw.
    Last edited by petroid; 04-17-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've come to the conclusion that in order to get a dependable 300 B/O you just about MUST use an adjustable gas block. I found one for the build I did about 18 months ago for about half the price you quoted though, so it was more economical to buy than for me to buy a standard block and screw it up before I went out and bought one already adjustable... but that's just me, of course. You did a fine job on solving your problem.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that in order to get a dependable 300 B/O you just about MUST use an adjustable gas block. I found one for the build I did about 18 months ago for about half the price you quoted though, so it was more economical to buy than for me to buy a standard block and screw it up before I went out and bought one already adjustable... but that's just me, of course. You did a fine job on solving your problem.

Froggie
    FWIW, My Blackout was 100% reliable with subs or supers, whether suppressed or not. I worked all my loads up for function without the suppressor. My concern is that it is overgassed with subs when suppressed, and definitely overgassed with supers with or without the suppressor. Hopefully this will make it a little more pleasant to shoot, and quieter, and cleaner.

As far as cost of an adjustable gas block, I only checked Midway and Brownells. Neither had anything below $75 and for that price, you would get the same basic design as mine. I'm sure there are better deals out there, but typically they are competitive with just about anybody, barring a clearance sale.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    FWIW, My Blackout was 100% reliable with subs or supers, whether suppressed or not. I worked all my loads up for function without the suppressor. My concern is that it is overgassed with subs when suppressed, and definitely overgassed with supers with or without the suppressor. Hopefully this will make it a little more pleasant to shoot, and quieter, and cleaner.

As far as cost of an adjustable gas block, I only checked Midway and Brownells. Neither had anything below $75 and for that price, you would get the same basic design as mine. I'm sure there are better deals out there, but typically they are competitive with just about anybody, barring a clearance sale.
    They have come down in price a bunch. Finding them for $25 an up now. Just do a search.

Boolit Master
    Guess something to try on mine, yea .750 adjustable blocks are cheap, maybe even the .936. My 450BM is .875 so $90 is the going rate on adjustable, found one now for $84.55. 750 seemed a bit thin on 45 cal.

Be nice to tone down the gas a little vs buffer weight to slow it down.

I bought an adjustable gas block from "Joe Bobs" (blemished) for $15 a few months back. Regular price is $29.95 everyday. I put it on my Six5 & it worked just fine (I don't have a can).

Even so, I like your ingenuity!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.