RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 alloy for Russian Boar?

45-70 alloy for Russian Boar?

Hi guys, I'm planning a hunting trip for a Russian boar and wondering about alloy. I have some 405 grain boolits on hand and they are air cooled 50/50 COWW & pure. They are a SAECO 6 and wondering if that would work or should I cast some that are tougher?

Its a Marlin 1895SS 45-70 micro grove. I just practiced away my current load using 2400 and have some other powders like 3031.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a 45-70 but I'm confident a 405 gr cast 50/50 at trapdoor or above speeds will handle anything on the North American continent if reasonably placed.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    That bullet should do the trick. I use Reloader 7 in the 45-70, though IMR 3031 does as well. The 3031 leaves bits of unburnt powder in the bore, or maybe it's burnt and has a different color.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I don't have a 45-70 but I'm confident a 405 gr cast 50/50 at trapdoor or above speeds will handle anything on the North American continent if reasonably placed.

Providing the Pb is from the good ole USA
    H/D

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I don't know how far you expect to shoot 1 or how big you expect to shoot .
    We have made several trips to TX for hogs . Typically 200# and under 75yd . 45 Colts out of a carbine was plenty for most opportunities . 255-265 at 1200fps will give pass throughs in shields and scapula to at least 170# as will a 30-30 .
    A 45 cal 405 anything will be sufficient above 1400 fps for all the hogs you might encounter .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I knocked a hog off last Spring with the .45-70. 300gr RCBS cast WW+ 2% tin. 53.5 grs of H-322. He went down fast, and didn't even wiggle. Just lights out.

Boolit Master

What you currently have will be just fine
    You have confidence in that load, GOOD
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I agree with skeettx
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned
    pmer,

ImVho, most any 405 grain boolit in front of 25 grains of 2400 will "do the deed" on ANY game in the North American Continent, presuming a solid hit to the heart/lung area. = I have an old school chum who pastors a church in northern AK & he tells me that he's taken ALL the available local big game with his Marlin Model 1895 lever-action & that load.
    (Roy took a HUGE/ANGRY Polar Bear with the rifle, that couldn't be dislodged from the church's Christian Life Center = read: the fellowship/choir hall. = GYD.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 02-12-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: missing word

Sounds good, it's at Bear Mountain in the upper peninsula of Michigan. It's guided and I can take one up to 250lbs or so. Hoping for a nice eating one and I haven't went after wild hogs before. Shot a few butcher hogs up close with a 22 but nothing that looks like these boar.

Wow, Tex, nothing worse than a polar bear holding up services!

Banned
    pmer,

WORSE YET, the bear INVADED a Baby Shower, attended by numerous "church ladies". - Roy said, "I don't think so." & BOOM = GYD.

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Five hundred six pounds of pig put down by a .308 shooting 165 Ranch Dog, WW with a little piece of solder, over 30 grs. of H4895 at 50 yards.

Had I been in a blind or otherwise off the ground, the first round would have killed him. But I only had a couple of skinny trees between me and the pig. After a total of 4 rounds, he rolled down a hillside and expired.

I guess that load is about a full pressure load in a 30-30 or thereabouts. Next time, I will take the 7 shot Marlin 30-30 instead of the 4 shot Rem 7600.

Banned
    jaysouth,

IF I ever get into an area where there are boar anywhere near that size, I'll take along my Model 760 in 9.3x62mm, with the 10-shot magazine full of 286 grain hunting loads.
    (Truly, I wouldn't trust a .30-30 for such a MONSTER.)

CONGRADS on your hog.

Addenda: My neighbor was TREED by several feral boar not long ago & spent the afternoon up in a Pin-Oak tree, until his son came looking for him in a PU.
    (Johnny Mac said, "I was SCARED.")

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 02-12-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Master

A couple of centuries ago when I was a mere lad, a couple of local 'sports' decided that hunting feral pigs from horse back would be the most efficient way to cover ground in the dark.

About two miles into the swamp and about an hour after dark, they met up with a small herd of pigs. The horses panicked and left the two nimrods on foot. They spent the rest of the night up in trees, had a long way back to the truck after sunup, and a difficult time trying to make up a story that made them less than grossly stupid.

After a couple of failed attempts invoking UFOs, big foot and an earthquake, they finally fessed up to what really happened. One of them never did find his rifle. It is strongly suspected that there was alcohol involved in the planning and execution of this "hunt".

Jay, yes pretty good 30/30 load. I have a 185gr RD for mine but it only holds 5 rnds. runs ~ 2100 from a 336. I use LeverE powder.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Jay, that was funny! Thanks! All sorts of folks seem to take their quarry for granted. I think it's some sort of hubris acquired from too much alcohol and too much one-upmanship around the campfire, usually? But take most anything or anybody for granted, and surprises are always likely to ensue. It's good nobody got hurt in the process, at least. I'm betting that's ONE story that won't be told around many campfires in the future!

Boolit Grand Master

I've done extensive shooting of the 45-70 over the past 3 years. Five different rifles, 12 powders and more than 10 different bullet designs.
    My conclusion (much to my chagrin) is that it works best at top end. Ten shot groups did not deliver sub 2MOA until I put the pedal to the metal and hit the NOS.
    If you take your brass and use the Lyman neck sizing die, you will get a little more case capacity and a little more precision downrange.
    Use COWW + some tin water dropped. The RCBS bullet is great, or you can buy my 45XCB bullet from Accurate molds (46-430 G) or the Ranch Dog etc etc etc. Anything about 405 grains with not too big a meplat will do.
    Use White Label BAC.
    Starline brass.
    Then put it all together around Paul Mathews load of 54 grains of IMR 4895.
    This will produce speeds in excess of 1800FPS, it will be accurate, and it will absolutely anchor any animal you shoot with it.
    I had steel plates hung at 30 yards from tow straps. One bullet each, they went flying backwards like giant pennies hit with a pellet rifle. I assumed the bolts holding the plates to the straps simply tore through their holes, but this was not the case. The straps, both of them in each case, were torn in two and the plates were found 10 yards behind with frayed fabric still bolted to them.
    I really didn't want to get into all that recoil, but the simple fact of the matter is, it shoots best that way, and all the rifle's I tried agreed. It's still one of my favorite calibers, and I've gotten used to shooting it, so I just shrug and thank God for the precision.

Edited to correct. I was thinking Paul Mathews and wrote Elmer Kieth.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-14-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Re 45-70 hunting loads

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I've done extensive shooting of the 45-70 over the past 3 years. Five different rifles, 12 powders and more than 10 different bullet designs.
    My conclusion (much to my chagrin) is that it works best at top end. Ten shot groups did not deliver sub 2MOA until I put the pedal to the metal and hit the NOS.
    If you take your brass and use the Lyman neck sizing die, you will get a little more case capacity and a little more precision downrange.
    Use COWW + some tin water dropped. The RCBS bullet is great, or you can buy my 45XCB bullet from Accurate molds (46-430 G) or the Ranch Dog etc etc etc. Anything about 405 grains with not too big a meplat will do.
    Use White Label BAC.
    Starline brass.
    Then put it all together around Elmer Kieth's load of 54 grains of IMR 4895.
    This will produce speeds in excess of 1800FPS, it will be accurate, and it will absolutely anchor any animal you shoot with it.
    I had steel plates hung at 30 yards from tow straps. One bullet each, they went flying backwards like giant pennies hit with a pellet rifle. I assumed the bolts holding the plates to the straps simply tore through their holes, but this was not the case. The straps, both of them in each case, were torn in two and the plates were found 10 yards behind with frayed fabric still bolted to them.
    I really didn't want to get into all that recoil, but the simple fact of the matter is, it shoots best that way, and all the rifle's I tried agreed. It's still one of my favorite calibers, and I've gotten used to shooting it, so I just shrug and thank God for the precision.
    First of all Goodsteel,
    Elmer Keith's load was 53 gr 3031 under 405 gr bullet.
    I used that load back n 1963 and also under the Lyman 385 gr RNGC/1/4" meplat when I got my rebuilt M86 win 45-70. 1870fps.
    It killed like lightning. Th 405 Rem bullet opened up like a varmint bullet. The 385 cast RNFP 457483GC worked well for 18 years my only hunting rifle. Using alloy of 9+1 ww/lino. It will go end to end thru a deer.
    But as you said it hurts at the shoulder, too.
    Soon after I reduced the load to 48 gr 3031 (Lyman handbook)
    for 1750fps
    Nowadays, I am using the Reloader 7 powder in my recent Marlin guide gun. Flows thru the measure better and seems to burn slightly cleaner.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Oh, with that 53 gr 3031 and the 457483, my M86 would put one all the way thru
    a classical pine board baffle box and still thumped into the backstop with authority: 20 pine 3/4" boards spaced 3/4" apart.
    For comparison, an M1 Garand put a 150 gr FMJ Ball bullet only into the 17th board.
    Also, FWIW, Elmer Keith used a M86 with first shot with a 500 gr RN/full load
    followed by the 405gr bullet or 400 gr Speer for heavy game in the timber
    beltfed/arnie

Thanks for all the input! Here is the 405 grain I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast