MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Why Different Weights

Why Different Weights

Regardless of what bullets or round balls I cast they is always a variance of 2-3 grains. I use Lee mold - bullets and round balls look perfect except for consistent wht. - using lyman #2 for center fire and lead for muzzle loaders

Boolit Master
    What weights are you casting? 2-3 gr for a 200 grain boolit is just over 1% which isn't much to worry about.
    Could be just the mold blocks expanding bit near the end of the casting session.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perma-Banned

That variance sounds about right for average casters...you will not be able to tell the difference in handgun ammo.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've been doing this 10 yr . I have it down to 2 gr top to bottom with about a .5 60% core in 35 to 45 caliber about half that in 22-32 cal AFTER visual culls . I note that because I'm a lot more picky about the keepers in smaller calibers .

The more I tweek my technique and improve my work flow the better they get .

There was a thread about consistency and how it applies at the pot and mould level . Good tools to be had from that thread .

Honestly I couldn't write down the methodology I use because it varies mould to mould and widely from a 5c aluminum 22 cal to singles of 45-50 cal .
    I have a couple of moulds that drop up to 2 gr difference between cavities .

The most important thing I can think of is to pour as consistently as you can , same hight , same angle , same temp , same length of cooling time , same return to pouring position , repeat ......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Some commercial cast boolits would be jealous of you. I've bought commercial cast that didn't make 4 percent. Dont think about the weight difference and shoot em. You will never notice the difference.

Banned

yes same, same, same, same.
    keeping the mold and alloy temp in a tighter window will narrow down the end results.

Lots of good advice. Consistency between different moldsand same alloy is the key. Different molds call for different methods. I have single and double cavity molds that are all there own creature. Patience also helps.

Not really a bad spread. I tightened up my spread by doing an alloy mix and making ingots first. Then use those ingots in the pot when you cast. If you mix your alloy in the pot as you go there will be variations that can add 2-3% to your spread. YMMV
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master

I had to stop weighing them.....all the little piles, should I increase/decrease powder charges to compensate....how much compensation is required .....they were driving me insane.

Now I visually inspect them . If they look well filled out , no wrinkles and a have perfect base , I load and shoot them. Forget weighing and sorting ....I'm just not that OCD-anal.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I shoot 160 and 180 boolits with the same every thing else, at 100 to 200 yards point of impact is within my ability to shoot .at shorter distances with pistols etc doubt it would make enough difference to notice.

Because that's what happens when you cast boolits. Cast, shoot, pick 'em back up and repeat.

WashingMike
    Last edited by WashingMike; 04-25-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Read this and you too can cast bullets with a Bell Curve Weight within 0.5gr ...
    http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    I shoot 160 and 180 boolits with the same every thing else, at 100 to 200 yards point of impact is within my ability to shoot .at shorter distances with pistols etc doubt it would make enough difference to notice.
    Just so I understand here, you're saying you can mix 160 and 180 grain bullets, load the same powder charge, and get the same grouping? That 20 grain (10% difference in bullet weight) doesn't matter for grouping?

I just checked QL with a 30-30 load, 160 grain vs 180 grain - all other things equal, there was about 50 fps change. With a 10 grain difference in bullet weight, there was only 20 fps variance. Maybe I've been a bit too anal to keep bullet weights within 1 grain on a 170 grain bullet?

Ken H>

Ken H>

Boolit Master
    I can usually keep groups to under 2 inches at 100 yards so the group of 160 g boolits group is overlapped by the 180 g group giving an overall group of about 3 inches .when I'm on form I can get groups of around 1 inch so using both weights give a group of about 2 inches which is within my average normal shooting .short range doesn't really show the true differences get further away then the variations shows up.or if I could shoot better.