RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many is to many? (powder horns)

Boolit Master

How many is to many? (powder horns)

Deer antlers mounted on a plaque and hung on the wall in my Man Cave makes a convenient place to hang my Powder horns on. Those powder horns all have small in size matching primer horns. (3-sets of powder horns)
    Since I only have one T/C Hawken 50 cal.___ Is having 3 sets of Powder Horns for one rifles use considered kind'a ~~excessive?

Boolit Master
    OverMax,

One NEVER has too many powder horns. I have 7 powder horns and two small priming horns. I have a dozen muzzleloaders, both flint and cap, and a dozen possibles bags. At yard sales I often find nice leather purses for a dollar, or less, that are better than $50.00+ commercial possibles bags. All my horns were a dollar or less and were easily refit into powder or primer horns.

Adam

Boolit Master

Depend on whether or not your married and how well your wife likes powder horns. My wife buys em for me for gifts. I am blessed
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    How many is too many should never be a question. If you want it and can afford it, get it, whatever it is, if it is legal of course. Two wives would not be legal, probably not affordable either (in many ways).

Perma-Banned
    I've only got about twenty so, I can't really relate to or answer yer question. but, to be clear, only about 1/2 dozen are users. the rest are projects in various stages of completion. probably use'em for gifts or trade material if I ever get around to finishin' them.

Nope. Never too many.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

That's like asking how many guns do you need...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    That's like asking how many guns do you need...

I have the answer to that one. "Just one more."
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Moderator Emeritus

I was always told: "He who dies with the most wins!"
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I'm still trying to find one for my daughter. Just using a cheap plastic job know. You guys are making me jealous

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Deer antlers mounted on a plaque and hung on the wall in my Man Cave makes a convenient place to hang my Powder horns on. Those powder horns all have small in size matching primer horns. (3-sets of powder horns)
    Since I only have one T/C Hawken 50 cal.___ Is having 3 sets of Powder Horns for one rifles use considered kind'a ~~excessive?
    Yes, it's excessive. You need two more rifles/fowlers/doubleguns to justify those other two bags.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master
    Powder horns, measures and pan primers you can't have enough.

I see no reason not to have spares hanging around. Especially if it sets the tone for the room. Says a bit about your space.

Beats a lot of things I have seen hanging on horns.

Boolit Master

it will confuse burglars, they will spend so much time looking for the other guns that the police will catch them.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    LOL My answer would be that you can never have enough . . . sort of like guns, bullet molds, etc. I have made many horns over the years but usually either gave them away or ended up selling them with hunting pouches I made - another addicting hobby! I think I am down to two now - a large horn for my trade gun and a smaller "day horn" and pouch for my smaller caliber front stuffers. NOW . . . if you were to ask my wife . . . she'd say "Why do you need two?". I used to have "things" displayed but I learned many years ago that I was better off letting my wife "decorate" and keep my "stuff" in my shop or reloading room.

Horns are all different just like the source they come from. Each one is unique so if you like it, enjoy it and display it if you have a spot. Life's too short not to have a few things to look at and enjoy!

I can't afford one of the ones I like. We have an event that takes place at Ft. Frederick in Maryland in April where real artisan sell their powder horns. Scimeshawed, they run around $800.00. The event is a pre revolutionary war market fair. Lots of period clothing and accessories along with custom made guns.

If local and interested here is the info:

18th Century Market Fair April 27th to 30th

Now in its 23rd year, the Market Fair features the best artisans, craftspeople, and sutlers together with an 18th century encampment. Hours are 9 am to 5 pm Thu, Fri, Sat and 9 am to 3 pm Sun. Sponsored by the Friends of Fort Frederick State Park. Admission Fee Charged.

Check their web site for directions.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Would this be a good time to mention I have powder horns for sale?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Is there a place they can be viewed at along with a price list?

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Would this be a good time to mention I have powder horns for sale?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Is there a place they can be viewed at along with a price list?
    I'll try to get some pictures posted soon. I'm finishing one up today, hopefully. Right now I have a full size horn, and some small hunting horns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    There is one powder horn maker who I've met at the Alifia River Rendezvous named Gerald Dukes who makes beautiful reproductions of the early horns. He's a little pricey but will do custom work along with horn shot glasses and salt and pepper shakers, I've always been amazed at the quality of his work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast