RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Ben's Red in the lube sizer

Boolit Mold

Ben's Red in the lube sizer

I am trying to use Ben's Red in a Lyman 4500 and it takes a lot of force to run the boolit down and up -- especially up, it feels as though the boolit has seized in the die. The lube flows well and fills the grooves, but doesn't seem to lube the boolit while in the die. I followed the recipe exactly, low heat and slow, and my batch is the color in Ben's pictures.

I'm sizing a 280 gr 45 caliber boolit to 0.452". I size this exact same boolit to 0.451" in another 4500 using Lyman Super Moly and the boolit glides down and up easily. I do not lube the boolit with anything before sizing in either case.

Has anyone else had this experience? I see suggestions to up the beeswax percentage, would that help? Would adding a little lanolin to the recipe solve my problem, and if so in what proportion?

Banned

I don't think it is the lube that is your problem.
    try something a little slippery on the next boolit you size and see what happens.
    I would also break out the calipers and do some quick measuring of the before and after.

Boolit Mold

Thank you so much... some times we are so focused on what we're focused on we don't think to look elsewhere. Upon further examination I think I have an equipment problem. This is a new sizer, untested until this execise, so it is another variable.

I tried slippery things like RCBS case lube, 3-in-1 oil, even hand rubbed a little super moly and that didn't make a difference -- even on boolits already sized. So, I removed and reinstalled the die and after running more boolits through it gradually freed up and somehow things are now working. I don't know what fixed it, but I can now size an as-cast boolit with no lube in the sizer and only the residual goo on my fingers and it works like it should.

The boolits are 0.454-0.455" before, and exactly 0.452" after.

Again, thanks!!

Boolit Master
    Might of had some lead stuck between the plunger and die body. A steel burr inside the die ? Who knows. Glad your up n running !

Mike

Boolit Master

If it was a brand new H&I die, they are sometimes a bit rough from the factory. I bet you polished/deburred it a bit by sizing those boolits and now it is smoother to operate.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Glad to hear you're up and running . On big bullets I give them a light tumble with Johnsons paste wax before sizing . A little wouldn't hurt the performance of your main lube would it ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    If it was a brand new H&I die, they are sometimes a bit rough from the factory. I bet you polished/deburred it a bit by sizing those boolits and now it is smoother to operate.
    The new ones are always a little rough up and down for a while. Had a brand new .459 and I thought I was going to break the lever off for about the first 30 or so. Same way with reloading dies. I just got a new Redding bushing die and the first 30 or so were rough for about the first 30 pieces of brass with the cases well waxed. After that smooth as silk.

One thing Buckshots were always smooth from the first bullet.

Boolit Master

This problem is not-so-uncommon with brand new H&I assemblies. I normally let them soak in Breakfree overnight to help loosen them up before ude. Glad to hear you're up & running!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

My problems with Ben's Red is that it is too slippery! I get as much back up around the piston as I get around the boolit. Gotta melt it out and add more beeswax, maybe a little carnuba.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Wayne,
    Try using less pressure on the lube feed and adjust your vertical height until it works properly. It can be a P.I.T.A until it's right!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Wayne, Not sure how hard your lube is but I find if I warm my 450 with a hair dryer so it just warm to the touch, my Ben's red flows better with less screw pressure and I get no run out any where.
    +1 centershot said above.

Mike