RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R 1871 Throat Reaming

H&R 1871 Throat Reaming

I just scored a nice deal on a Buffalo Classic to add to my collection. I plan on using longer and heavier bullets with it and throat is cut too short if any exists at all. Does anyone have experience with reaming the throat a little bit forward to accommodate the 535gr pills?

Is this more of a gunsmith's job or can one do it by themselves?

shoe

Boolit Master

I got a reamer over at graybeards outdoor sight had my smith do it took him about 15min. I can load a 535gr boolit with ease

Interesting, I have a late production H&R Handi in 45/70 and have loaded up to 600gr boolits with no issues. They must have changed how they cut the throats at some point.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    I got a reamer over at graybeards outdoor sight had my smith do it took him about 15min. I can load a 535gr boolit with ease
    They seem to have a great selection of reamers to rent. I'll check it out. Have you had any problems with the shallow rifling? I have never seen grooves that that in a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    Interesting, I have a late production H&R Handi in 45/70 and have loaded up to 600gr boolits with no issues. They must have changed how they cut the throats at some point.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
    I don't know when mine was produced but I'll probably load some Postells tonight and see what happens.

Shoe, I throated my Buffalo Classic and my regular .45-70 an additional .240" using the 4D reamer. You can do it yourself...takes about 10 minutes. Just dip the throater in cutting oil and go slow. You can turn it by hand using a tap stock; you might need a reamer extension.

https://4drentals.com/products/reamer-rentals/throater/

They waive the deposit if you use a credit card.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    How does said 535 grain boolit shoot in the Buffalo Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by mohican View Post
    Using 20:1 and sized .459-.460, it shoots great with black or 4759 if the throat is extended.
    Last edited by Skipper; 04-26-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You might want to measure the twist in that barrel. If it's a 20 in twist, 500 gr bullets will be about as heavy as you can count on stabilizing consistently.
    the 45-70 sort of runs short of horsepower when going heavier than the various 535 gr bullets, and the recoil in that BC with the postel's isn't exactly pleasant.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    You might want to measure the twist in that barrel. If it's a 20 in twist, 500 gr bullets will be about as heavy as you can count on stabilizing consistently.
    the 45-70 sort of runs short of horsepower when going heavier than the various 535 gr bullets, and the recoil in that BC with the postel's isn't exactly pleasant.
    That was definitely something I was thinking about as well. It's a 1:20 and it's stabilizing the 475gr quite well. My Postells are dropping in at 515gr with Lyman #2 (the cheapest alloy I can get). These should work but they may be at the limit like you said and with have significant recoil.
    I contacted a few smiths in IL and a lot of them seem to have less machining experience than I do. I run a greater risk ruining the barrel's accuracy changing the chamber I think.

I may just stick feeding the Postells to my 1:14 Encore. It's a heavier gun and likely more conducive to bench shooting.

shoe
    le ebin physics man

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I haven't really seen a 535 gr bullet do anything out of a 45-70 that a 480 gr won't.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    With 70gr FFg powder, accuracy is very good to 1000yds
    The Classic being my 1st BPCR and being green & wet behind the ears - it's initial range test with the 500gr Big Lube bullet, 52gr of Triple Seven - put 5 holes in the 7 ring at 600yds ... measured 2 3/4 x 3 1/2" with 3 holes that could be covered with a silver dollar. Two club members witnessed the target
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    You don't need to do anything to shoot heavy bullets in your H&R. The typical long nose BPCR bullet will extend way into the rifling. That is because the land diameter is larger than the diameter than the nose of the bullet.

If you have one of those lever gun 500 grain bullet molds like the RCBS 600 you will find it will not work unless deep seated. But no one uses that bullet except lever gun shooters since they cannot use a long nose bullet anyway. The nose is intentionally short to feed through the magazine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS 500 lever gun.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	194265

Instead of the lever gun style bullets use the BPCR bullet styles designed for single shot rifles. The nose is about .499 and will fit into the land diameter.
    Cutting the throat is unnecessary.

Name:	RCBS BPCR 530.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	194266
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You don't need to do anything to shoot heavy bullets in your H&R. The typical long nose BPCR bullet will extend way into the rifling. That is because the land diameter is larger than the diameter than the nose of the bullet.

If you have one of those lever gun 500 grain bullet molds like the RCBS 600 you will find it will not work unless deep seated. But no one uses that bullet except lever gun shooters since they cannot use a long nose bullet anyway. The nose is intentionally short to feed through the magazine.

Name:	RCBS 500 lever gun.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	194265

Instead of the lever gun style bullets use the BPCR bullet styles designed for single shot rifles. The nose is about .499 and will fit into the land diameter.
    Cutting the throat is unnecessary.

Name:	RCBS BPCR 530.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	194266
    EDG,

Agreed, with 500gr flat nosed like you mentioned, smokeless powder loads work quite well through this throat because the ogives are very similar to a 405gr flat nose and powder capacity is not an issue. I will check with my Lyman Postell mold to see if that's what if the nose on my mold is small enough like you said. I know that my 459-500-3R, which is not authentic BPCR at all, does work but only because it has a short, pointy nose. Do you typically allow for some jump or is jamming a little on the lands okay with cast bullets?

shoe
    le ebin physics man

Boolit Master
    Your Postell is designed to seat the bullet long with the nose acting as a bore rider..

I never jump anything with cast bullets in single shots.
    I expand my cases using an expander the same diameter of the bullet. The only neck grip I get is from the spring back of the brass.
    I seat my bullets about .050 too long to close the breech. Then I am able to push the case home with my thumb and close the breech block.
    Thumb force is the amount of jamming that my bullets get when seated into the rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by iplaywithnoshoes View Post
    EDG,

Agreed, with 500gr flat nosed like you mentioned, smokeless powder loads work quite well through this throat because the ogives are very similar to a 405gr flat nose and powder capacity is not an issue. I will check with my Lyman Postell mold to see if that's what if the nose on my mold is small enough like you said. I know that my 459-500-3R, which is not authentic BPCR at all, does work but only because it has a short, pointy nose. Do you typically allow for some jump or is jamming a little on the lands okay with cast bullets?

shoe
    EDG

Your Postell is designed to seat the bullet long with the nose acting as a bore rider..

I never jump anything with cast bullets in single shots.
    I expand my cases using an expander the same diameter of the bullet. The only neck grip I get is from the spring back of the brass.
    I seat my bullets about .050 too long to close the breech. Then I am able to push the case home with my thumb and close the breech block.
    Thumb force is the amount of jamming that my bullets get when seated into the rifling.
    Good to know! I just checked yesterday and the round actually fit with full length brass! I'll give a couple of these a try with your method and see what happens! Are you doing this with black or smokeless?

shoe
    le ebin physics man

Boolit Master
    I use smokeless at BP velocities. My loads run 1100 to 1300 fps using SR4759

Good to know! I just checked yesterday and the round actually fit with full length brass! I'll give a couple of these a try with your method and see what happens! Are you doing this with black or smokeless?

shoe
    EDG

Banned

everyone has a their own personal, diff'rent version story about guns like the buff classic. i've had 2 of 'em (or was it 3?), also my first intro to bpcr and what started a long journey that has led to only loading and shooting black powder in all my long guns.

the h&r bc is a good gun, with good accuracy potential that's slightly stymied by a hefty trigger pull and concerns with installing a tang sight on a break open, two plane action. other than that, and adding some more weight into the butt stock, for the most part it's a shooter that some folks laugh at 'til it beats them at the target butts.

you'll have no problem loading, chambering, and having the 1:20 twist stabilizing a lyman postel. forget about using white powder, use real black powder dropped into fire formed brass (swiss 1-1/2f, oe 1-1/2f are well proven powders). if long distance is yer game then you'll want that long and heavy bullet, so forget the lightweights under 500 grains. there are other factors and concerns with the bc and long distance bpcr in general. you may want to consider ppb's - wish i did from the get-go - SO much better for me (and others!) than the greasers. whatever goes down best for ya, do enjoy the bpcr ride!

H&r

One more thing...it helps to smear a little lube on the bore-ride section of the bullet if you're using the 535. Without it, I get some leading at the 28" mark.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I use smokeless at BP velocities. My loads run 1100 to 1300 fps using SR4759
    I'll try to get a hold of some to try. Since I want to neck size only slightly, with compressed charges, this seating method sounds like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    everyone has a their own personal, diff'rent version story about guns like the buff classic. i've had 2 of 'em (or was it 3?), also my first intro to bpcr and what started a long journey that has led to only loading and shooting black powder in all my long guns.

the h&r bc is a good gun, with good accuracy potential that's slightly stymied by a hefty trigger pull and concerns with installing a tang sight on a break open, two plane action. other than that, and adding some more weight into the butt stock, for the most part it's a shooter that some folks laugh at 'til it beats them at the target butts.

you'll have no problem loading, chambering, and having the 1:20 twist stabilizing a lyman postel. forget about using white powder, use real black powder dropped into fire formed brass (swiss 1-1/2f, oe 1-1/2f are well proven powders). if long distance is yer game then you'll want that long and heavy bullet, so forget the lightweights under 500 grains. there are other factors and concerns with the bc and long distance bpcr in general. you may want to consider ppb's - wish i did from the get-go - SO much better for me (and others!) than the greasers. whatever goes down best for ya, do enjoy the bpcr ride!
    I was going to say, I was floored by the gun's initial accuracy with some 405gr Trail Boss loads. I can't wait to start with holy black. I'll need to add a little weight first like you said, as well as contour the buttstock a bit. The skinner sight I have on the back should do fine for now, perhaps I may install a tang sight if I find one for the right price. As for the trigger, I got so used to sloppy and heavy triggers that pull weight and takeup doesn't matter to me anymore.

As for paper patching, I'll need to find some time to perfect the technique. I know it's really finicky to get into right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    One more thing...it helps to smear a little lube on the bore-ride section of the bullet if you're using the 535. Without it, I get some leading at the 28" mark.
    I was thinking if giving this a try as well, since I get a bit of leading in the throat of my Encore with Postells. If I start with a lightly oiled bore and light loads, I'm usually able to keep leading at bay temporarily for heavier stuff.
    le ebin physics man

Boolit Master
    SR4759 has been discontinued so finding it can be a problem. 5744 is a good alternate.

I'll try to get a hold of some to try. Since I want to neck size only slightly, with compressed charges, this seating method sounds like a good option.

I was going to say, I was floored by the gun's initial accuracy with some 405gr Trail Boss loads. I can't wait to start with holy black. I'll need to add a little weight first like you said, as well as contour the buttstock a bit. The skinner sight I have on the back should do fine for now, perhaps I may install a tang sight if I find one for the right price. As for the trigger, I got so used to sloppy and heavy triggers that pull weight and takeup doesn't matter to me anymore.

As for paper patching, I'll need to find some time to perfect the technique. I know it's really finicky to get into right away.

I was thinking if giving this a try as well, since I get a bit of leading in the throat of my Encore with Postells. If I start with a lightly oiled bore and light loads, I'm usually able to keep leading at bay temporarily for heavier stuff.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast