Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bore wiper VFG felt wads ...

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If using something that doesn't leave a lube residue, or if to much moisture is left in the bore, it sure could cause some leading problems.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i just finished cleaning the roller, took all of 4 minutes, no leading for me.

SO much left to work on from the load, to the shooting process, my form, aiming, and follow through.

Very nice. Thanks for producing and posting it.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    If using something that doesn't leave a lube residue, or if to much moisture is left in the bore, it sure could cause some leading problems.
    Yup Don, My primary interest in the felt bore wipes is for PP bullet shooting. At some point, I will get some mpro7 and try it with GG bullets, but much to much is going on now. That and more cartridge PP bullet development will have to wait until cold weather months slow the TaDoo list down.
    Chill Wills

I hear ya, can't believe it's already the waning days of june. I would like to make the 1000 yd at Byers on the 9th, but at this rate I don't think I'll have time to cast bullets enough to go, and at 98 degree's outside, not to inclined to fire up the pots.

Winter is made for casting bullets

True story that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Chris, were you shooting GG bullets when you had the leading issue?
    In my use of them, I see the value when paired with PP bullets but we, a number of us that have been trying them, have had bad leading problems when used with GG bullets.
    For hot days shooting GG bullets, when there is a need to wipe, I still go with the Tipton thin rod, Delrin/Nylon jag, and two wet patches.
    Yeah, I just realized that this thread is in the PP section. Sorry .

I've seen these things work well with GG bullets for a few shooters, including ones I've been paired with. I'm sure that there is an adjustment I can make to improve these things, but as it stands my next match I'll likely be back to a delrin rod with a Tipton brush and patches.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Don I've got some Mpro-7 and will give it a try. I know that a few have used it in Phoenix with success.

Chris.

Chris I think the big trick to using these is not to push to fast, and using a flannel patch.

Boolit Buddy
    which mpro7 product do you guys use?
    keep safe,
    bruce.

I don't use it, but this is the stuff that the folks I know who do use it use.https://www.buffaloarms.com/m-pro-7-...n-size-mpr1030

Boolit Master
    Don that might be part of my problem, I put those things through the bore pretty quickly. I also think that the o-rings on the .45's fit my bore better than the ones for my .40. The .45, when shot the same way had no leading issues. On the .40, a fair bit of wiping fluid made it past the o-rings, enough that I occasionally had to mop the chamber.

It was an eye opener to see how tightly the rifle grouped even when pulling some lead chunks.

I am going to try these wipers on my PP rifles, but I suspect that the bore won't be as clean and dry as it is when I use my regular wiping routine.

Bruce, I wasn't paying attention to who was wiping with what this year at Phoenix, but at least a couple of the top finishers used mpro-7 last year. I've been using it since then to remove carbon from the rifle's throat and it seems to do a good job. It is a bit puzzling to me as a bore wiping solution as it doesn't seem to have any lubrication qualities which seems important when shooting greasers in the very hot weather.

Chris.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post

It was an eye opener to see how tightly the rifle grouped even when pulling some lead chunks.
    Chris.
    It is true. In 2009 when I won the NRA Creedmoor nationals it was stinking hot and for two days I was pulling a lot of lead out of the barrel after each relay. Still, the rifle and load shot very well.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    thanks don and chris.
    saw some in a gunshop yesterday, so we can get it downunder.
    being primarily a pp shooter I have learned that wiping clean and to an extent dry is best for that.
    doing the same with greasers can be a recipe for leading.
    almost all the bullets we use have some degree of bore riding noses, and these are both unlubed and bump into the rifling.
    a recipe for disaster unless shooting with a lubed bore.
    scheutzen shooters clean thoroughly, but use short noses that taper away from the bore, and do not have this problem.
    you can either apply lube to the bore by some means, or blowtube, which also means a lubed bore for all but the first shot.
    problem with blowtubing is you can foul out in hot dry weather.
    shooting in time limits means that if a form of wiping can also leave a lubed bore you are in business for both pp and greasers.
    guys using just a damp patch possibly achieve this condition, but would have to adjust patch wetness according to weather conditions.
    a bit like adjusting blowtubing for the same reason.
    what we need is to achieve a clean slightly lubed bore in 1 push of the rod in all weather conditions - a big ask.
    particularly when the best way to get rid of crud is with the wettest device possible
    possibly mpro7 can do this pushed with an arsenal patch or a cloth patch better than a soluble oil solution.
    only 1 way to find out.
    my 40 cal bore wiper squeegees are like chris's. they leave an amount of water in the barrel which is variable from shot to shot.
    an arsenal patch pushing them always comes out moist.
    if we shot how the creedmoor matches were run we would have time to literally lightly oil the bore after a good wiping.
    but we don't.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    used mpro-7 last year. I've been using it since then to remove carbon from the rifle's throat and it seems to do a good job. It is a bit puzzling to me as a bore wiping solution as it doesn't seem to have any lubrication qualities which seems important when shooting greasers in the very hot weather. Chris.
    This is what I have thought about too. I have not used Mpro7 and have not even looked to see what is in it. But if it cleans down to the steel and does not have lube, .....nor does the next shot through lead ..... that is a big, Hmmmm!

I need to investigate more before jumping in.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Bruce. It you wanted to oil between shots that is certainly doable. Organization is required, but an additional patch is definitely be accommodated

Boolit Buddy
    brent, you are probably correct.
    I have pushed either a bore pig of felt wipers with a patch, and then another patch down, back, and then down and out without problems.
    as you say, setup is the secret.
    the other secret would be to get the same amount of oil each shot, and none in the chamber.
    using evenly oiled patches, one each shot, would give sameness from shot to shot.
    down, back, and out would present a thoroughness that would be similar each time.
    the odg oiled and than wiped the bore again, leaving a miniscule film.
    that was for pp, and greasers might need a little more.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Bruce I seldom shoot greasers. I use the Napa oil and water at about a 1-7 mix for either the BWS or just pushing patches. The Arsenal patches just don't soak the water like a good heavy flannel patch does. I use a 2 1/2 in patch in 45 and 44, and 2 inch in the 40's.
    I don't know if Zack got into full detail on his wiping routine in the latest edition of the BPCR news, but it's hard to argue with the results he's getting using it on the BWS with grease groove. I believe Dave Gullo also uses the Mpro7, but I think he uses the arsenal patches.

Vendor Sponsor

There is a cleaner product and cleaner/lube - here is a link to the clean and lube. Maybe it is this...

https://www.buffaloarms.com/m-pro-7-...gallon-mpr1430
    Chill Wills

Several years ago some where using Murphy's soap oil with bore pigs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast