PBcastcoRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 105 shell

Boolit Master
    I saw this shell casing that was polished and engraved for President George W Bush at his Museum and Library in Dallas Tx.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GWB_105_Shell_01.jpg   GWB_105_Shell_03.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Solid brass.......

Attachment 198530Attachment 198531

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Anybody know the significance other than being neat?

Yep, the Bush 105mm is from the USAF, it is the big gun on the AC-130 gun ship known as the "Spectre." They are permanently stationed here in NW Florida and fly all over the world "visiting" the bad actors around the world. They are very much like a flying tank, multiple 40mm Bofers cannons, multiple 20mm Vulcan cannons and one high velocity long barreled 105mm howitzer. They have a highly sophisticated aiming system locked into on board computers and various types of really big night sights. They are a bad hombre almost beyond belief. Read a news paper at 10,000 ft in pitch dark, put four rounds into a tank turret, hatch cover, from over 7,000 ft with the tank doing 50mph down a dirt road trying to evade and them flying by or a rotation. If you are stationary or in the open, you are a dead motor scooter.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    If I remember right the 105's on the C-130's still use brass cases. Did have one that was marked Air Force use only. Not sure about the 40mm on the same plane. What with the scrap prices being what they are, finding the old brass style cases is getting hard. But nothing beats one polished up nicely. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Attachment 193377Attachment 193378

I believe these were training rounds.

Slim
    They make excellent ends/handles for muzzle loading range rods.

Boolit Master

I imagine the Army version of the 105 also uses brass casings.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Banned
    Army 105 howitzer cases are steel, have been since the early 1960's. A very, very few brass cases turned up in RVN that became prized possessions of the gun crews.
    The same thing happened with tank ammunition, most cases were steel but the occasional brass main gun case brought 5 bucks from the native brass collectors. Wish we could have sent a few home.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I imagine the Army version of the 105 also uses brass casings.
    When I got out in '93 they had gotten rid of the brass ones. They had transirioned to all rolled steel ones. the last brass ones were on illun shells. I suppose there was some WP brass canister shells too but the BN didn't shoot often (never). The BC wanted a bunch of illun shell shot so we could short the count of returned dunnage to have some brass canisters as presentation pieces.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    We have an empty 105mm case that is filled with change.

And we also have this, 5"/38cal round from the BB Wisconsin.

Attachment 196289
    That looks like a capped AP projectile

Boolit Master
    Cool stuff! I'll have to take some pics of some of my collection of heavy artillery. I love this kind of stuff! I wished I had some of the casings for my projectiles. All the modern stuff for the most part has a mostly consumable case. All that's left after firing is steel casehead. I can understand the 105's for the AC-130 still having a solid brass case for aviation safety.

Bring one of those big 105mm cases to Cabelas and ask if they have any primers and powder!

I don't honestly think the rounds Slim has are APDS. They have a brass brazette ring which is what the guns rifling engraves to spin the projectile. If this was intended as an discarding sabot projectile then it would serve no purpose to put the brazette band on the round.

I would love to have a APFSDS for an Abrams. Just the penetrator since it would be a real cool display piece! A buddy of mine said that when one of those hyper rods hit an enemy tank it caused an instant over pressure in the cabin along with plenty of metal spall/spray but they often made a complete pass through the old Soviet tanks Upon exiting, anything not bolted down was sucked out the 4-6in exit hole, including the occupants. Least you would have never known what happened to you.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I remember two brass items from my distant youth. A fired artillery shell that looked like a .22 Hornet scaled up and a brass wall plaque about 2'x3' with the Declaration of Independence (in cursive) engraved into it. I don't know where they went but with 4 older siblings I suspect they were sold for beer.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Along time ago when I lived at Camp LeJeune I was wandering around somewhere I wasn't supposed to be on the north end of Onslow Beach and found an expended mortar flare round. I still have it.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Google a website called Heavy Ordnance and you'll find all the artillery projectiles,casings from all around the world and for sale. One warning he has pics of the items he sells and you will be spending quite sometime browsing his site. I have an ash tray made up from a 5"54 fired shell casing from my ship. He hasn't seen any all brass ones in years. Think mine is dated 1945 and I got mine in 1966 or therabouts. Frank

Boolit Master

The brass 105s went out during the last days of VN. The steel 105s were sold as scrap and the brassies were sold down town by the crews. In the 70s, we trained on the PTA reservation on the island of Hawaii. We'd occasionally locate a brass 105 casing on top of hills with just the base showing. The artillery survey crews used them for long lasting survey markers.
    Time was when each post had a 75mm pack howitzer for firing at revile and retreat. If you knew the Officer of the Day, you could occasionally get a fired brass case after the ceremony. I understand that now, they use an adapter with a shotgun blank for the same purpose./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Below is my small collection of inert and training ordnance.
    Top :
    - Dummy round, M830A1 120mm HEAT round. It's a resin like material and weighted to replicate a live round, used for training tank crews.
    Middle L - R:
    - Empty Mk153 SMAW rocket tube
    - Expended US 81mm Mortar Illumination Round
    - 105mm Howitzer Case
    - Training Claymore Mine
    - 25mm Cartridge (the projectile is an aluminum dummy that I copied from another round and turned on the lathe)
    - Control fin from an Iraqi Surface to Air Missile, never found out what model the missile was.
    - Penetrator that I got from an Iraqi tank in 2004. I can't really figure it out. While I got it from an Iraqi tank, it appears to be US made, looks like it's from a 105mm tank gun. It isn't heavy enough to be Tungsten, it feels like its just hardened steel. I wonder if it was something that an Iraqi crewman picked up as a souvenir after the first Gulf War. By the time OIF rolled around, the US was pretty much using only tanks that had 120mm guns. So, not sure what its deal is, other than it is pretty cool.
    - BDU-48 20lb Practice bomb
    - MK76 25lb practice bomb, painted OD over its usual inert blue
    Bottom :
    - 82mm Recoilless rifle casing and projectile. The projectile would normally be down in the case until fired. I believe it is Soviet block with its cyrillic writing.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Army and Biker favorites 092.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	233980

That's what 105mm cases from an M60A1 look like!

Boolit Grand Master

Thats some neat stuff guys! I have a few loaded 50 BMG shells, a few loaded and empty 20MM, a loaded 30MM, a few 37MM anti-tank cases and projectiles from WW1. I also have an ash tray on my loading bench made from an unknown Naval case cut down thats pretty cool. I have the rim from a 105 case that was fired from a C-130. It was made as a coaster.

The 105 rim has a cool story. My oldest Son called me to see if I had any Octoberfest. Thats a style of beer. Seems he had a neighbor return from a deployment. He said the things he missed most besides his family was missing hunting season and missing the Octoberfest releases. So, I had some and sent him a case, along with my thanks. He returned the favor by giving me that rim that he had turned from an empty 105 case. He said it was fired in action in Afghanistan.

A neighbor goes to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot and comes back with some cool stuff. He had a gradual of powder used in the large navy guns. Think of a single stick of 4350 the size of a 35mm film canister. Been trying to talk him out of it!

I'll work on some pictures.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Army and Biker favorites 092.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	233980

That's what 105mm cases from an M60A1 look like!
    Does that picture have some personal significance to you? Maybe someone you know or someplace you have been?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Does that picture have some personal significance to you? Maybe someone you know or someplace you have been?

I took the photo at Graf during gunnery one year, 81, 82 maybe. Those rounds come two to a case and humping them all day can wear you out as you can see. It's black and white because I did my own processing in those days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast