Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 105 shell

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a cool picture! Thanks for the explanation. I'll bet humping those guys would wear a guy out!

I have a hunting buddy that was assigned to an artillery battery in Vietnam. I'm not sure if they were 105's or 155's. He has a crippled up hand and arm from the experience. He was a big husky boy and was chosen as the one to pick up the shell and slide them into the breech. In the heat of the moment someone slammed the breech closed on his hand. He has limited use of it but you can tell that it was pretty mangled up.

Boolit Master

Training rounds for the 40mm grenade launcher used on the AH-1G (Cobra) M28 Armament system and also the M-5 Grenade Launcher on the UH-1C/M series helicopter. Also used by the Marine Corps in the Mark 19 Grenade Launcher. The "hollow point" round I'm not familiar with but suspect it was a round used with orange dye used to mark hits. I've fired literally thousands of these off the Cobra as I was an armament guy in VN. Came in 50 round belts. The HE version was olive drab marked with a gold cap which contained the fuse assembly which was set back initiated and armed by rotation. Do not mess with these projectile (the HEs). EOD won't even touch them. Just blew them in place when encountered./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    Looks like 40 mike mike
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Anybody remember the Bill Mauldin cartoon of Willie sticking his head out of the bunker, calling the the 105 gun crew:

"Fire two more for effect, Joe. I'm making a stovepipe".
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Most interesting thread.Thanks for posting.I have an ash tray made from a 90MM AAA shell stamped 1944 mfg.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    I bought this at an indoor range / gunshop in St Louis in the mid 80's. It's 26 inches long and magnetic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7234sm.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	234747

Name:	IMG_7237sm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	234748

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    I bought this at an indoor range / gunshop in St Louis in the mid 80's. It's 26 inches long and magnetic.

Look's like a 105 cannon round like the ones I posted. I never handled any of the 120mm for the Abrams so I do not know if there is much difference in appearance or not. You might try measuring the mouth of the case to see what the inside dimension is.

Boolit Master

Maybe a 5"/38 from the Navy. Was aboard the Nassau on a trip to Honduras and the Navy had gunnery practice one morning. One of the turrets was a 5/38 and as I recall, it fired automatically and very fast. I know 4 or 5 casings were out on the deck very quickly. Meant to look at that feed system but never did. Some of our Army guys wanted them and the Navy said, sure. Disposal was over the side. They threw them in a connex container on back of one of our vehicles. When we unloaded that container and opened it in Honduras a week later, it smelled like three guys had been in a beer joint all night drinking beer and eating boiled eggs and had gotten locked in there for about three days. What a stink. The casings were already rusting from salt air exposure. Needless to say, they stayed in Honduras when we came home./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Look's like a 105 cannon round like the ones I posted. I never handled any of the 120mm for the Abrams so I do not know if there is much difference in appearance or not. You might try measuring the mouth of the case to see what the inside dimension is.

Boolit Buddy
    The inside of the mouth measures about 3.25".

Banned
    The marking on the case is odd, I don't recognize it. The case looks like a 90mm M-48 main gun round.

I wish I had a picture of it, but years ago, I was out in the old training areas hunting Civil War & WWI relics while stationed at MCB Quantico.
    I found a pile of cases for the old 75mm cannon. They were all Brass, on one-
    the primer hadn't been fired and it was swollen out like a football.

I kept it for several years and asked people how they thought it got blown out like that. Nobody ever figured it out.
    The closest anyone came was a old Artillery guy from the Korean War.
    He said, "I don't know, but I'm glad I wasn't close by when it happened".

I figured if it had happened in a gun, it would have been shredded when the breach blew apart.
    The best I ever came up with was it was a live round that got burned and cooked off in a grass fire.
    All the shell cases in the pile looked burned where they didn't touch the ground. It got hot enough to start the powder burning,
    the projectile was in tight enough to pop out as it swelled and the powder just burned on the ground.

As I got older and began thinning out some of the accumulated 'stuff', I passed it on to a Army vet to put in his man cave.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Attachment 193377Attachment 193378

I believe these were training rounds.

Slim
    Those are inert training projectiles from a 40mm Grenade launcher

Same rounds are used in the M79, M203 and the auto-loading gun used in helicopters

I have a couple inert 5" projectiles that some previous owner started converting into table lamps, but I guess they stopped because they are HEAVY.
    Last edited by AllanD; 06-09-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    As a tanker on both 105mm and 120mm systems, I never saw an American Sabot round like that....ours looked like the first set in this link. They all (sabots) had a pointed dart shaped projectile, unlike the more rounded one posted.https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...3A&FORM=IQFRBA Some of the other pics in that link may show what you have.

One video of what happens during firing of the APFSDS round. Armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6
    Last edited by daengmei; 06-12-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

A long time ago, in a place far far away. My Dad was in the ADA protecting Boston from the North Korean Migs. To make the story short he had a couple of empties from the Arty piece that he was assigned to. It was a 90mm flak cannon that had a crew of about 5 or 6. They were bottle necked and about 2 on 2 1/2 feet tall. They looked about like the picture posted by #46. Don't know what happened to them. He also had some empties from a 40mm AA gun that I've lost track of too. They were old enough that they were brass.

Rob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post

That is a 90mm main gun case from the M-48 series tank. The 105mm on the M-60 looks nearly the same only less shoulder taper.

Ken

Had a couple 155 cases uncle brought back from WWII. Was going to make lamps but tossed them. Now I know the price of brass - darn.
    Last edited by popper; 06-13-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Mine says do not reform, I guess they don’t want you to reload it.

Boolit Master
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh,what would you use for a powder scoop?A 2 gallon bucket?Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

You guys joke about reloading these things but back on the old "Shooters" site there was a guy that was loading rounds for a 106mm Recoiless Rifle. Had to be a labor of love as it was labor intensive. Used BP loaded inside a paper bag inside the perforated case. Don't recall his repriming method. The projectile with the machined bands would have been fun to make too. He'd take that to big shoots and get off maybe 5-6 rounds a weekend. Lots of smoke and attention./beagle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123