Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rebarreled savage 110 go nogo question

Boolit Buddy

Rebarreled savage 110 go nogo question

Hey guys Im in the process of putting a new barrel on a Savage 110 And I dont have Gauges so I was doing it by screwing down the barrel till it snug with a fired case in the chamber and tighten the nut, then I put a piece of tape on the rear of the case and check if the bolt wont close then call it good . I have read that it can be done this way , just wanted to get some input from you guys before I go to far, All I have so far is just fired cases , I will be getting dies sometime this coming week And will probably get a box of factory loads as well. this is a 6.5 Creedmoor that im putting together. and if anyone that needs a near new 22 inch barrel for a savage action in 270 win, I would take 70 bux shipped for the one I pulled off.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Perma-Banned
    I would suggest using a new factory cartridge, not a fired case. That will ensure you are safe.

Second and very important is to smoke the breech face of the barrel. That will tell you if the bolt lugs are hitting the breech face. What you want is slight drag when you close the bolt on the factory cartridge with no removal of the blackening. IF the blackening is removed, reblacken it, take a new sharp, fine mill file and remove the blackening. Each filing will take off about a thou.

This was a problem I had fitting Savage barrels to the Marlin XL actions as the Marlin's bolt face has a deeper recess. Usually about 4 filing passes would move the breechface forward enough to not hit the bolt lugs while providing that little bit of drag while dropping the bolt on a new cartridge. Works perfectly, I have done 7.

Boolit Buddy

OK , will, do I was going to pick up a box tomorrow anyway, this barrel came off a 110 before I got it so It should work with no problems, If I have to I will borrow a no go gauge , im sure a friend of mine has one , anyway thanks for the info
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Perma-Banned
    Yeah, just bought a creedmore myself. Was a Shot Show demo so I got $500 off list. Also will take my can!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adirondack2016_main.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	193383

Boolit Master
    Yes, it is better that you use a proper gauge to set headspace.
    If you used a once fired case, it would probably not been fired in your gun.
    It could be way too long from stertching out and that one in Tight would then be your Max Headspace.
    Or might be hanging up on the Neck and not going into your chamber all the way.
    Then if you do the tape thingy, then you just increases it even more.
    And using a soft unfired round , and a loaded one at that is not a safe practice.
    The brass can crush, and give you a false reading.
    Not to say it cant be done.
    But you spent the money on a new Barrel, set it up right from the Git Go
    This is not some place that you want to cut corners both for Safety, Function and Accuracy

Boolit Master

You can rent go and no go gauges for a reasonable price. If it were me, I'd just buy a go gauge and set the barrel up at go+0.002 (piece of scotch tape on base of gauge) and call it good.

Perma-Banned
    Complete sillyness. Heads of loaded rounded do not compress as the Savage bbls are only screwed in hand tight, then the lock nut is rung in hand tight. Then the cartridge and bolt are removed. Then the nut is tightened with the correct wrench. Nice to have a set of 3 headspace gauges, but not required for savage bbl changes.

I've yet to blow up a gun.

Boolit Buddy

Good advice , Im sure I can borrow one , and I will check it ageinst the poor mans way ,LOL im in no hurry my new stock is not here yet so Im gona tinker with it till it does .

Boolit Buddy
    If you reload and have more than one gun in the same caliber, a RCBS precision mike is a good investment especially if you are shooting Savage rifles. It measures the fired case to the nearest .001. It allows you to set head space on different guns the same.

Boolit Master

A proper job can be done with only a go gauge and a depth mike. If no depth mike add a no go gauge and there is no question that it is correct. A go gauge and tape will work just fine for someone that knows how to use it. Proper use is having the firing pin, extractor and mainspring removed from the bolt and use a light touch. The bolt handle should close just under it's own weight, never more than two OUNCES of force. Forcing the bolt closed can damage the gauge or the bolt.

Boolit Master
    I have used a go guage and tape and it works just fine. Do not use just a no-go guage as it is too long. Scotch tape is bout .002, so I used a double layer on the go-guage as a no-go guage. If you can't get a hold of a go guage, you may borrow mine. Let me know.

Boolit Buddy
    Savage shooters forum has tons of info on this. I use a fired case that has been resized with my own full length sizer. Screw the barrel in until slightly snug and tighten down. Add one to two pcs of tape. I like one pc to be snug but will close. I don't want two pcs to close the bolt without a lot of force. I let a tight chamber.

Boolit Master

When I set up barrels I like to feel a slight drag with a go gauge. All factory round should fit with the action set up this way. If using a case, use a new factory round and run the barrel up hand tight then tighten the nut. The nut will pull the barrel forward a small amount. Check with the same factory round and the bolt should close with no drag. Use one layer of masking tape (about .004") and the bolt should not close, this is your no-go gauge. Do not try to force it.