RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Mother Of All Drill Presses!

Boolit Master
    Chris,

Yes we have air and I figured we would run a line over to the structure I am envisioning we need to construct for the press.

I think the larger bore jobs would run to about 4 to 5 inches.

There is a little bit of hay going down in our area but not much yet and none on our place yet. I have some junk were toying with whacking and using it as a rain draw. LOL!

You cut it so Mother Nature vents on the junk and runs out of steam in time for the good stuff to be harvested free of rain. (I always lose that "bet" and you'd think I would learn that you "can't fool her")

Best regards and thank you

Mark

Boolit Master
    Funny how that rain thing goes, 3 cuts a year here, almost always during one of the cuts we get rain, usually thunder storms. Sure see the farmers scramble to save it, the rakes come out. Not to be joked about though, serious business, that's what puts the food on their table, always wish them the best. Farming is very hard work and a little bit of luck. 4-5" bore jobs should go well on your new radial, you must have some big stuff.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

The larger pins would be on the excavators on the main booms, but the press may not have enough elevation travel for the base of the boom on the largest ones. It's ok though, for the price I paid for it, I can't complain.

Farmers joke plenty about the rain on their hay, don't worry about it. If you are a hay grower and don't have a thick skin you are either a rank newbie or in need of finding a new profession!

My wife generally gives me the "business" when we get rained on by asking if it got a good wash and rinsing? Quite a bit of our hay goes to our beef cows and we hand out green tinted glasses to the bossies that complain.

Also there is a lot of degrees of damage and a slight discount is just often just par for the course. When your crop comes off black from two weeks straight of storms that's when the joking gets pretty unappreciated. You know when that's happening when many growers are raking practically in "the rain" since the hay contacting the ground is threatening to rot and air must be gotten to it no matter the forecast. If the hay gets rain when it's freshly cut that is no problem at all but if it's on the verge of being baled that is not good.

The other crop that's quite susceptible are cherries. Don't tease a cherry grower about rain if it's close to picking. It is said that they can stay in business with a good quality crop with good prices if the hit that combination 2 out of 10 years. Don't know if I could maintain my sanity living like that.

Best regards

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-18-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    Beginning to see why you need the larger lathe to go with that radial having equipment that big. I rebuilt the backhoe ( JD #8 ) on my little JD 970 TLB when I first got it well used, the largest pin was 1 1/2" on that little guy, small enough to fit on my milling machine for boring job. Those excavators must be quite large with pins that big. Our hay is mostly exported to California, some stays here for the new local dairy with 3000 or so cows, some stays for the feed lots. It's almost the only crop grown here. Farming, with a few of us retirees mixed in makes this a nice peaceful place to live, almost crime free.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

There are three excavators that my brother has that are fair size ..... two JD 892's and a recently added Cat 330 and a Cat backhoe. He also has a couple "200" class excavators as well. We at the farm have a Komatsu 200 and a Case backhoe.

We also have some dozers at the farm, a couple vintage D7's and our big cat, a D9G. I am thinking about some of our past wrecks with front idlers and can see some possibilities with the press.

It looks like once one gets a project under the belt or two, the old imagination will probably start to roll. I sure wish my late uncle was still with us. He trained at a local trade school prior to WWII and worked at the Bremerton Shipyard during the war. At the end of the conflict he bought the lathe he ran there, it swings 30" and has a bed 22' long with a taper attachment. He brought it home to a neighboring community to a farm he bought there.

Anyway he would have really ate up this project and would certainly gave me a hand getting at it. You see his son and grand son were always too busy to really get some time with him to get schooled on his tools, that lathe and a mill he also acquired along the way. The equipment just sits there, now 21 years since his passing. We warned them repeatedly that they would lose him someday and they'd better get on the stick but to no avail.

On our farm, my father never had the formal training that his older brother acquired but he bought two lathes, both three phase, one swings 22" but a really short bed of 6' and the second lathe bought because it was a heck of a bargain swings 16" perhaps and a bed around six feet.

We are not "machinists" by any stretch of the imagination, we are farmers with a couple of lathes and perform some rudimentary stuff with them.

It's getting dark over the mountains from where the storms generally approach ....... we ran the swather around to "antagonize" Mother Nature a little today. Rain soon?

My theory is that drugs is and will bring crime into just about square inch of God's green earth given enough time. Norman Rockwell's America is just about non-existent , sadly.

Best regards and thanks!

Mark

Moderator Emeritus

Memories, Grandpa had a D9 that he used when he was hired to make roads into new areas for houses. I learned to drive it when I was 12! Not much stopped it except the really big granite boulders frost pushed up. Hit one of those and dead stop... one we dug out the top half was as big as a house on the part we exposed. Got to watch that get drilled and blasted...

Boolit Master
    Well Mark, no need to be a machinist to make good parts and repairs. Sometimes you might need to talk to different folks, sometimes look it up, but if your patent and thoughtful, you will get it done and save a ton of money. Always a learning process. We are going to have the same problem in my family when I pass on. Three generations of machinists ends with me. Bet they will have fun trying to figure out what stuff is just in the tool boxes, some hand made stuff back to the early 1900's. Time passes on I guess, and things change. Another 5 acres brush hogged today, beautiful day to be outside doing it.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Mary,

A great big Cat is a great piece of equipment to operate unless you get them stuck. They always say you have not really ran one until you have gotten one hung up or buried. But when you "lose" the biggest one you've got you are in a real pickle .... nothing man enough to pull you out!

The lucky thing about ours is that it has a hydraulic blade and a four barrel parralellagram ripper. Our main operator for several years was real experienced around mud with big cats because he spent more than half his adult life in Alaska running them in some pretty interesting terra not so firma.

He would use the blade and ripper frame to break the suction around the cat, set it back onto the tracks and inch it, repeat, repeat over and over. I don't think he ever had to have assistance, but he knew the limitations and when to bring in dry dirt to mix in. This was usually in push loading our scrapers for some bodies frost pond construct. We usually refrained from working in muck when ever possible though as it is hard on equipment. If we could time it we'd wait till ground was dried out.

I have always enjoyed running the crawlers but if we are push loading, I much prefer to run scrapper as they are much more challenging and interesting .... every load is different and if you are running in a pack the fill area is going to be a surprise because one or more of your "pack" have changed things since you were there a few minutes ago. Think in terms of dump truck loads .... our cycle time has been as short as six and half minutes ..... two of the "cans" haul 30 yds heaped and one moves 40 yds. One cycle ... equals ten full sized dump trucks ... 100 yds. Never in the mud with that 40 yard can as it would be like a wet noodle since it steers by way of a separate steer axle instead of big hydraulic cylinders.

Even in a part of a day you feel pretty good about what you've accomplished.

Best regards

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-19-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Chris,

Our lathe that swings 22" has a four jaw chuck and we have a dial indicator so it's a matter of what we want to tackle. A lot of times it's a question whether it's more prudent to take it to town or do it ourselves versus doing our other work.

Our other lathe is a three jaw. We do quick and fast stuff on it.

Both lathes need a bunch of work to tighten them up. We find there are fewer and fewer people to talk to though about old school equipment.

Sounds like maybe you'll have your bush hogging done pretty soon! Congrats!

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-20-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've always preferred a 4 jaw chuck for one of a kind work. Most old 3 jaw chucks will hold round work, but are sprung to some degree, run out of round. Rather dial it in if I can. Guess that's why I've got such a pile of dial indicators and different bases built up from over the years. Most of those old lathes can be rebuilt, and most likely have been already. Nice winter maintenance job if you choose to do it. Chunks are easy enough to come by, lots of them being sold for scrap prices. You will need some larger ones, but they are out there and cheap. Ebay is a poor choice for chucks, shipping will be more than the chuck. We were offered stuff like that all the time. Close to done with the brush hog, one more day to ride and cut. Mid summer, get to do it again. Brake is over, back to work,
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

The stuff we do on our old three jaw you could by an angle grinder and a die grinder, it is pretty rough house stuff.

Glad you have about wrapped up your first round of mowing. Have you ever thought about renting it out to a bunch of Combination Swather/Balers?

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    Our irrigation ditch runs across the property. Neighbors swather would sure get through the front half it could access, very fast, but it wouldn't cross the ditch ( no bridges ) and get the other side. I'd have to brush hog the other sides of the ditch with the tractor regardless because of access. Throw the tractor into 4wd and climb right across. Mowing is for wildfire defensible space on old alfalfa fields that have been subdivided. Aside from the sore back from bouncing on the tractor with a 5' brush hog on 15 acres cutting it, it's almost a pleasant job. Done now, later in midsummer do it again.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

I was referring to livestock

No sections or shear pins to replace

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    Livestock would take care of the problem for sure, at least it did when we had them. We got rid of the horses and goats 5 years back. It served as a anchor for us keeping us here and not traveling out for to long. Wanted to be able to lock the house and gate, drive away for a week or two, that doesn't go over well with critters. Brushhog is the price paid for not having the critters to feed, so far, it's been a fair trade off so far. A gallon of diesel per acre is much cheaper than a squeeze of hay a few times a year.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

Yes, I know how livestock ties a person down .......... LOL!

Do you suppose they will come up with a robotic bush hog that runs like the robotic vacuums? Run off solar power perhaps?

But then if they linked artificial smarts to the robotic mower things could get scarry ..........

The night of the bush hog rampage?

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    Robotic brush hogs ?? I sure wouldn't want to be around one, I see a rock, I stop, move it and mow on. Don't see the rock, you know what happens. Some things like this, and that radial drill are better served with a operator running them.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Yes indeed!

Mark

Boolit Master
    Chris,

I sent you a pm, did you get it!

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    Hi Mark,
    Sorry for the delay, I got wrapped up in other things away from the computer. ( installing irrigation head gates with a neighbor ) I sent a reply, be nice to see pics of the new/old iron.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Thanks again Chris!

I might start a new thread for that one ... but so many possible names?

I could run with: This Old Iron Pile ....?

A long time neighbor came for hay one day and we had "resurrected" an International 6x6 of WWII vintage that has our old silage box on it.

He asked when did we get that? I informed him we'd had that since the late 40's or very early fifties!

He asked where it had been parked? I answered ... " Oh, out back!"

With a chuckle he said, "Oh, I bet you have a lot of "treasures" back there!

I held my laughter long enough to reply in the affirmative!

So back to a title .... I might be opening a "pandora's box" with that one .... lol!!

Best regards

Mark

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast