Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Mother Of All Drill Presses!

Boolit Master
    Chris,

I did put the press in our hay barn but was not planning on running it there. First, there is no power so I'd have rig up our 3ph generator. Second, we'd have to rig up some sort of temporary base to mount it on and all of that would just be a distraction to getting it the way I would prefer the setup.

The floor in our hay shed is shale rock and crushed gravel.

What you describe about drilling etc. off of the base makes lots of sense ..... you can do it but it is not ideal yet doable just as I would have guessed.

At long last, I have pictures:

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Three-44s/slideshow/

Thanks for everyone's patience and best regards

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-23-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Mark, for $500 you sure did well. Most likely because most folks won't have a place to put it or the 3ph to wire it. Getting a look at it on the lowboy trailer, this one is most likely to big for the soft rubber feet. I like the table, good size, and the vise might end up being factory but is chewed up a bit. Might be able to fix that with a new steel insert on the base of the vise. Best mounting for that one might be conventional with bolts epoxied to the concrete, the size of holes in the base, nuts and washers for leveling, then a good grouting to the concrete. Looks like fun ahead for you, I'd be surprised if you couldn't line bore anything you might have on a farm, have fun,
    Chris

Moderator Emeritus

WOW! I have been following this, nice to see such a nice piece saved form the scrap man!

Boolit Master
    Chris,

Thanks for the kind words on the state of the purchase. I felt pretty good about it after the biding was over and very good as it sits on our "turf" safe and in one piece.

I have to confess, I took several pics on the trailer as it does puff it up even more, just for giggles but it is no small piece of iron either. The fellow who is up on the deck with it works for us and he's about 6' and just a bit over ..... maybe an inch ...... and I am standing on the ground so that hypes things a bit.

The weight however is accurate at 8800#, the scales are certified as my brother sells rock over them to local, state and government concerns besides the general public. I have not measured the arm precisely but my guess is that it is perhaps 4 1/2' of actual travel ...... maybe a little more?

There are six bolting points. The previous owner (county) did not use the two on the end and they were plugged and it took driving a punch through them to prove they existed.

I never really explained our operation fully. We are a farm and ranch for sure but my father, besides having a bent on well drilling for his own needs is also into heavy equipment. He's had one or another D7 cat since he was a mere pup and not always one at a time. We have self propelled scrapers, also Cat. Dad has a backhoe as well as a Komatsu excavator with a rubber tired (and tired) 4X loader thrown in.

My brother runs the rock pit and that entails a list of heavy equipment that would choke a horse, wheel loaders and many excavators ........

So when you mentioned line boring .............. I really flipped.

I believe some of our excavator's main boom stick base pivots won't fit under this drill in any case, the two JD 892s really come to mind there, but even Dad's Komatsu boom's base pivot may not fit either. Wheel loaders are not likely to have too much boom or bucket wise to work there as well. But the rest of the stick on most of the machines and even some drive train housing work might factor in?

The thing that got me thinking about housings are our old self propelled balers. New Holland has discountinued many parts on the drive train on them several years ago. Now I have a number of those old girls bought and figured on cannabalizing them down to a nub over time. Guys have taken the old vari drives off and replaced them with a hydrostat.

Just sitting here I have a hard time figuring out how a guy could get a worn bearing pocket relocated with enough precision but I suppose having a good one for a pattern to measure would give one a good jumping off point? Think of a clutch bell housing on a truck but it's industrial so a pulley on a sliding splined shaft inputs power through a bearing and into the dry clutch, a three speed transmission and axle with final drives all in one bolted together unit. It's a lot like the older belt drive combines but only as larger a smaller unit.

Any way, lots of fun like you say!

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-24-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    WOW! I have been following this, nice to see such a nice piece saved form the scrap man!
    Mary,

Thanks for the kind words!

The poor guy that ran it for the county is not happy it's gone, his boss made it go away but he was very helpful and got me what documentation they had and gave some advice along with it. Turns out he is the nephew of a great retired diesel mechanic who's a good friend and neighbor.

Small world!

I also invited him to come and use it once we get it set up if he ever had a personal project in need of it's capabilities.

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    So I guess I am a whipped pup now?

When I started this thread, I borrowed on our recent military exercise in the fight against ISIS ........ The Mother Of All Bombs and began with The Mother Of All Drill Presses.

A bit of bragging but I was so awestruck on the press I bought ..... I appologize for assuming so much .......... in google searches I was seeing bigger and BIGGER presses .......... and our press is certainly substantial ........

........... Truthfully, it's not the mother ........ not a big brother ............

................... maybe, just maybe the baby brother of all drill presses .........

And don't know if this is truly the "Mother of ............" or not but here goes:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-drill-145218/

Scroll down to post #5 and enjoy!

Mark

Boolit Master
    How's your German?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8UBUx5yJ4

......... a baby, but notice the threading operation towards the end of the vid

A bigger brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHdUX777uw8

A nice little shop lathe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBQ95a4UvI

I suppose the shop rate on this feller is about $15 .... ? LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_50k2AHCzY

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-24-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Looking at the pics again and you should be able to drill with a high speed drill up to 3" in steel, bigger with a spade drill under coolant. Boring, 6" with a heavy cut, and much bigger if you want. You have a honest mid sized radial there. Still don't see how they got away with a 5hp. main motor, but the gear ratio will sure help with the power factor when running low rpm. Locating the center of a worn bearing bore, or arm bushing location isn't to hard, just need patents and a pile of different dial indicators, lots of clamps. Between lathe and mill work, working a old 12' plainer, the radials, I still have over 20 old dial indicators left over gathering dust here in retirement. Get to use my stuff occasionally doing my own work as a tractor repair comes up or something else. I retired early after 40 year as a machinist, and 30 of them as a maintenance machinist, so I've always liked running the older equipment, think it required more skill and thought, much more of a challenge. We have self propelled balers still running here in the little valley I moved to after retiring, see them running around here, or towed with a pickup about 4 times a year when they cut the alfalfa fields. And, like Mary said, I always feel good when serviceable good old iron is saved from the scrap yard. Most of that stuff was built to last generations if taken care of. You are going to have a great time with that one, have fun,
    Chris

Banned
    Can you imagine making a mistake with one of those machines? Scrap a 3 or 4 ton precision part? Ugh.
    Great thread. Been very educating and fun to read.

Boolit Master
    Don't have to imagine it, I've done it, and been lucky. First thing you learn, and learn fast, it to stand out of harms way. Safety glasses, protective clothing and steel tow boots. Sometimes that just isn't enough. When something breaks, or lets go of the clamping, all hell breaks loose in a fraction of a second. Do it long enough, there isn't one of us that did it and can say it hadn't happened to them a few times. You learn to clamp it down, and then clamp it down some more. When your part becomes a bolted on part of the machine, you have done your best and go for it.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

You are likely right on bit size ......... the largest size twist drill in the cut down apple bin of bits was 2 7/8" and the scale on the run of the machine ends at 3". I also understand the reality of boring larger holes and needing to take lighter cuts, especially with the restriction of having a five horse motor on the saddle. Maybe our "wrecks" will be smaller with that 5 horse there?

In our opperation, a slower cut is not a real negative ........ we are not working for someone else. If we can pull off a repair and it takes a little longer, we are not paying for expensive shop time and likely we are saving a piece we would have scrapped and bought another one elsewhere or perhaps even scrapped the machine ..... some of this stuff is no longer manufactured (as parts) and is also often hard to find used.

And like you, we like good well built heavy machinery ......... often lasts a lifetime if you take care of it ....... yes indeed!

Traffer,

You point is well taken but I agree with Chris ........ and ........ My father has a saying that applies here ........... "They are making more iron every day .......... there is only one YOU!"

I guess I'd modify your point about ruining a 3-4 ton precision part:

I'd say that if you are careful, most mistakes with big iron is not fatal sans getting hurt in the process or damaging the drill itself. Big crashes aside like Chris later referred to ........ boring a hole off center, particularily if you are building up and cutting it back out ........ if you are misalinged, you have all the tools to correct the mistake ..... it just takes more time.

An example would be a dip stick on a back hoe or excavator ...... if the pin won't reinstall to one's expectations, you go back to the drill and welder. The very tools that you used in making your mistake are likely to be the ones you correct the mistake with.

A part that one could not build back up would be a pretty tuff one, but a bushing could be made and installed unless the mistake was off center, though I suppose one could make a thicker bushing and cut it off center but centered in the part once finished.

Best regards and thanks

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-24-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Mark, Nice press, medium to small but a steal @ what you paid. Yes, yes on the dampening mounts, should be an easy install. Give a kid a Norton stone and oil can to clean ways, good job and they will learn something and might get interested in running it. Have seen large parts mounted to the floor next to a press using Hilti type anchors. Hopefully it will work out just fine. Good luck.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Our train wrecks had higher consequences. I'm attaching some pics to this post. In retirement working in my small home shop, most things can be handled by hand, and if it doesn't go right, you just start a new part. Don't know the order these pics will post in, but pic #1 shows my small 14" lathe, and pic #2 shows my small Bridgeport style mill. Notice the mounting feet on the mill, what I was talking about in the other post, mill weighs about 3000 lbs. Pic # 3 shows the mounting pads better. Pic #4 shows a one of us turning a rotor in our 84" American Pacemaker lathe. That rotor made in the mid 1920's ( 1000 hp. 2400 volts, common in the time, very uncommon now ) is in the lathe for a minor fix, but if that rotor is ruined, it would require replacing the machine it drives ( a very large flood control pump, 36 million gallons per min ) at over a million dollars. Common repair in this shop. The consequences of errors was felt by all machinists doing these high value repairs. Some old iron you just can't by parts for, have to replace with new if ruined, or beyond repair. That lathe has a 50hp main drive motor. If you can see the detail in the pic, the tool post is a Aloris EA, the biggest they make and is still small using 1" tool bits. What Mark is talking about having his shop doing the work will save them big money. When I retired 11 years ago, local machine shop time was $225 per hour plus material, sure it's much more than that now. Mark now has the potential to save his business tens of thousand of dollars in repairs, way to go Mark. Also note about the 5hp main motor, although smaller than most, it has way more hp to the tool than most thing. That 5 hp main motor ( 1725 rpm ) going through a gear box down to 45 rpm at the tool, generates about 190 hp worth of power and down pressure on the spindle. That's very respectable anyway you look at it. Drive that 3" drill, you bet.
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01429.jpg   DSC01428.jpg   DSC01430.jpg   Scan0001 (2).jpg  

Boolit Master
    Chris,

Thanks again and for the pics!

Your point is well taken about even a 5 hp motor geared down and the devastating results if things go wrong.

My order of priority will be people, the press and tooling ......... and in our line of work the piece being worked on third due to the nature of it. I certainly can see where the consequences of damaging a large armature would be disastrous. Our work won't be anywhere nearly that technical.

Last year at the same auction yard that I bought the drill press at, they sold a large heavy mill and tooling. I don't remember if the tooling when with it but the mill only brought a bit over $300 ........ I did not go ....... I did not know about the mill even being in the sale .......... so when I found out about this drill press I made it a point to be there when it sold because I was not going to let history repeat itself. I really would have liked to have taken a crack at that mill.

I also wish my uncle was still with us. He graduated from a highly rated local trade school and landed a job over at in Seattle during WWII as a machinist. After the war, he bought the lathe he ran over there ......... it swings 30" and has a 22' bed.

We urged his son and grandson to take lessons from him but they did not listen. Now all his machine tools including a mill sit and collect dust .......

Mark

Banned
    I know this is introducing another topic but it is really sad that so many young folks are oblivious to the great machines of our youth and before. It is so hard to find kids who want to learn how to use their hands these days. Very sad indeed.

Boolit Master
    Traffer,

I saw a wreck coming when our so called leaders began expousing that the United States was transforming from a manufacturing base to that of a "service economy"!

We have been sold out! A service economy is dead end!

What manufacturing that remains is largely if not totally based on CNC equipment. I don't rail against CNC but that equipment and people trained with it are not geared towards repair work.

Now we are not only a "service economy" but one that throws everything away.

Mark

Boolit Master
    Avoiding the train wrecks isn't much of a problem. Most are caused not getting a part centered, clamped down right, or improperly ground cutting tools. Most of us can avoid these with just a little bit of caution. Regrinding, or sharpening the drills properly is easy to with some practice. A Starrett #604R drill gage is good for hand grinding up to about 1 1/4" drills, after that using the angle head on a combination set work for all of the larger ones up to about 4". Drills blowing up most often are caused by improper grinding. On another note, sure agree with you on the service economy thing. The only thing that is happening in the USA is we are allowing our economy, and standard of living to be exported to other countries. A service economy will never replace manufacturing in our economy without us becoming a third world country. This is the big issue to me, not immigration. GM announced at a shareholders meeting after the taxpayers bailed them out, that 80% of their manufacturing has been moved to China. That means 80% of there American jobs went there as well so they could add the labor costs saved to their bottom line, shameful conduct on their part. Even more shameful that our elected officials allowed it, that is just one example, there are thousands more. Most of those everyday workers now don't have a job, or are working at a much lesser job and can't buy that car they used to make with their own hands or support a decent lifestyle. Saving that drill from the scrap yard and putting it back to work would have been a honor in my working days, sometime we got to do some times as well. My hat is off to the small businessmen that struggle making a living and keeping our economy alive in these tough times.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

Good advice as always .......... thank you!

The old school machinist power equipment is as foreign to a newly minted machinist trained on CNC as paper and pencil is to a newly minted mathematician trained on hand calculator and computer.

Neither of these folks in the above example are "using their head" the way the good lord intended them to. You take their special equipment away from them and they are as helpless as a grounded owl.

They say that money is at the root of all evil ......... I say, there must have a lot of evil spread around our politicians both on the right and left to coax them into supporting globalism. I remember the chorus of pols harping on the US transforming in a service economy.

It was obvious from the begining it would lead to an economic disaster and it has.

A service economy is a nation eating it's financial self, our imports far outstrip our exports but that is only the half of it. If we were building our own durable goods, we expand money, the impact is huge. When we import we are merely consuming.

I hope we can reverse this because there is an even greater immediate danger.

If we were thrust into a major widespread war we would be hard pressed to revitalize ourselves in time. Being beholding to foreign sources for our inputs to continue fighting is one thing but even if those sources continue to be allies, the very supply lines would surely become perilous and broken.

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    20 some odd years ago Long Island New York was home to both Republic and Grumman aircraft companies. Remember driving by and parking lots were full of cars. Last time I went by was all and buildings and all the machinery had been sold through auctions. And if you factor in all the suppliers of tools, parts, machinery as well as taxes paid adds up to a considerable sum. Frank

Boolit Master
    Mark, in the beginning of WW2 we were in just that situation. The planners after the war ended set up what they called the machinery reserve branch to hold machinery in reserve for the event of war. In my last job ( the one I retired from ) I was lucky enough to be one of the three people ( federal property screeners ) in our local government that could go into these, draw equipment, and sign for it. It was free, we just had to haul it to our shop. We had a lowboy and a road crew for that job. That large lathe pictured in the post above was one of these, it weighed 60,000 lbs. Paid for with tax dollars, it has to stay government property. Rough and Ready Island in Stockton, CA was one of those places. ( now closed down ) A dozen or so buildings 3 stories high, and one full city block square filled with machinery with a RR spur going through the buildings to move things in and out. Mostly old school manual stuff with some early CNC and NC mixed in. Only one of these nation wide now, Mechanicsburg, PA. I've never been there, don't know what they still have 30 years later. It would be less time transporting this stuff and setting it up to do the job than training a workforce to do the work. That problem has been thought of for war time production needs, just not sure how well it's inventory is maintained now.
    Chris

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast