RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxPBcastco
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Mother Of All Drill Presses!

Boolit Bub
    Interesting thread and what a project! Look forward to hearing about your progress. Watching that video of the operator reminded me right away of the Wizard of Oz behind his curtain twiddling and turnings controls! Looks like incredible fun.

Boolit Master
    Great score.Sounds like some fun times ahead.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Most of that big equipment is still moved on rollers made of pipe have 6-8 of them and as one rolls out move it to the front again.We had some roller pads at work but they were very susecptable to rough surfaces. On some equipment picking it up wrong will do more damage than can be repaired

Boolit Master

Country Gent , Mark and all, thus my egyptian post. Many wont believe how many machine tools have been moved on pipe rollers. Many old shops did not have clearance for even the low shop mobile cranes, pipe rollers worked fine. Sweep the floor of everything, better yet couple of big shop vacs to remove whatever. Another trick is to mark floor with chalk in the event one can not see around the machine as to where you are, just look at chalk marks or line. Now the shops with the tarred wooden block floors were a PITA. Thay are nice when one drops a big $$$ part or new tool. By chance, post pic once you get that beast set up. Have RV, tempted, really tempted.LOL
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

At Campbells we moved a lot of very heavy equipment with pipe rollers and rail road jacks. The slickest I seen was a crew that used an set of air pads for it over an epoxy coated floor. That big cup press could be pushed by one hand and one man if needed. It just floated on compressed air cushion.

Boolit Master
    Country gent,

Thank for the tip about using pipe rollers, I have used them before to good effect on other projects and would not hesitate here if the circumstances warrant it.

I don't for sure right now but I am leaning towards a new separate building for it.

We are studying all the uses we may find for this tool and the input put forth by members in this thread is also driving our thinking.

The prospect of line boring opens a huge opportunity of repairing sticks on our excavators and backhoes. As such we need to determine how viable an option is and if so, how to remedy the access issue .... I.e. How do we make a number of the walls removable so we can get the work to the press?

Mark

Boolit Grand Master

While some call it wasted space After 35 years running various shop equipment as a tool and die / gage maker I can say there is never to much room around a machine. On big machines it sometimes easier to load or set up from 2 or 3 different sides. I found on lathes chucking big long parts from the back side was easier since I didn't have to lean over the compound and controls. A big drill press needs some room around it to. long parts a floor support is real handy for the outside end at times. Depending on the size of work your planning on a crane over the machine may be helpful also.

Some of the big ones go for peanuts because of the cost to move them and the room they take up. I have seen some go at auction for prices that were less than the fuel it took to drive them to the scrap yard. Being a sort of machine junky myself always makes me cringe.

speaking of deals on drill presses though I did score this burgmaster on eBay for $46 awhile back.

Boolit Master

Jmorris, you stole that!!!!! Nice machine.
    Mark, might consider roll up doors for transporting large parts to drill.
    + 1000 Conutry gent, one never has enough space around such drills, in fact no guys shop that Ive seen is large enough.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    jmorris,

That's one sweet outfit! Good score.

I figure whatever a guy pays is immaterial as long as it's mutual consent, the main thing is that fine equipment is kept from ending up in a dump or a smelter!

I found out yesterday that the big radial drill we bought was bought by our local county shop for $1900 back in 1990 so it was not gov. surplus like I originally thought.

The sad part was that shortly after the county bought it, someone there in the chain of command took the tooling for working on engines to the scrap yard that came with the press ........... I don't recall just what it was but I am sure of one thing: Whether I could of run that gear or not (I am no machinist) nothing that belonged to our press would ever end up being separated while under my watch!

I can't help what was done before my time but I sure can under my watch.

Best regards and enjoy that Burgmaster!

Mark

Boolit Master
    country gent and 10-x,

I am very congnisent of the fact we need to move carefully on design and construction around this press.

My father whose just turned 89 has not even seen it yet is pretty pumped about our newest addition. I was impressed as I described the unit over the phone, he really got attentive when I mentioned "radial arm drill" ......... LOL!

You see besides farming and ranching he has a great interest in drill water wells with cable tool drills. He was never a driller for hire but rather for his own use and has drilled about 4000' of basalt rock ....... in his "spare time" over his life.

It's in his molecular make up!

Now in the course of that much "pounding" ........ he had occasion to stroll through some mighty fine machine shops waiting for tapered tool joints being cut on his many drill tools. He did not specify just where or what he witnessed to make him so animated .......... but short memory and all ....... he knew very decisively what I meant when I uttered those words ............ radial arm drill .......

............ the 8000 pounds ....... sort of got his attention also ......... LOL!

He like myself are really pondering the location relative to our existing shop, what the potential of the drill is and just how to make it accessible to whatever we may be able accomplish with it ....... I'd say right now ....... we are the weak link in our endeavors ........ but with a little homework I'd say we will likely reach out to people who know what they are doing, this forum being a great place to start but also people actually doing the work on special projects ........ I am mainly refering to line boring .........

......... all the while protecting the drill from damage from the elements as well as mishandling.

Undoubtably either big doors or removable wall sections or some sort of hybrid of those two are in order.

On our ranch we have a back hoe and an excavator and my brother runs our family's rock quarry, he's got excavators I don't even know about ...... LOL! Between us I can see a stick or two or other big pieces needing a line bore .......... somewhere along the line.

I think yesterday getting the arm down and spindle ran back to the column ...... and getting the documentation we did from the previous owner was a pretty good lick!

One more item: I'd cast dispersions about the voltage at our shop ....... I have no more worries .......... I had a fellow working on a pickup yesterday and when he whipped out his Fluke VOM ....... I snagged it and checked our 3 ph .......

No worries ............ it's upper 230's ....... hot dog .......!

There has been a question about the motors on this drill. It has a 5 hp 220/440 on the spindle and a 3 hp 220/440 on the top of the column.

The shank that the spindle can handle is big ..... I don't know for a fact that it's a Morris #5, a machinist that was early on my competitor for this drill (he just wanted the tombstone for a friend) told me it's a "5" ......... but I tried a bit around our old drill and then our lathe and the shank from the radial drill dwarfs our stuff hands down. Our lathe is not a dink ....... it swings 22" and the taper in the tail stock is no dink either but the radial drill shank is substantially larger.

We will know soon enough ....... I got a good friend whose over 90 years old self taught machinist, worked for ever for FMC and he's either going to skin me or see this drill when we get it home and he will know for sure at a glance!

We'll get some cool pictures soon! I promise ...... we want them for posteriety ourselves ......... and sharing them with all of you is only fair ........ and with all the help many of you have given as well!

Best regards

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-19-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    If line boring on this drill could be your first intent, your lucky, you can make your own tooling for that job easy enough, we did and it worked just fine. Dia. of the bar will end up being half, or up to 60% of your bushing Dia. Spindle taper would be machined into one end and fitted to the spindle after cutting the tang. The spindle taper on a drill that small should be a #5, but some older ones that weren't standardized might even run a #6, both tapers are still .625 taper per foot. A support bracket needs to be made to fit the tombstone with a bronze bushing to support the end of the boring bar with about .006 clearance for the bar to pass through. We used a short chunk of 6" angle iron drilled on one side for a clamp bolt ( to the side of the tombstone ) and drilled on top and fitted with the boring bar support bushing. It was a very routine job boring log loader arms, backhoe sticks, etc. Limiting factors were the height available on the radial drill, and the spindle travel. Bigger stuff had to go to a boring mill, but most stuff could be set up and done easier on that radial drill. Depending on the size of the sticks on those excavators, this radial could end up having a limit capacity line boring, hard to guess at not standing next to it. One thing that sure helps is a davit hoist next to the tombstone to move the heavy stuff and make adjustments to the setups. Having enough space next to it to drive a lift truck into it to load and unload sure helps. Fun days ahead for you,
    Chris

I want to see pics of this beast too. Sounds like a nice little project.
    "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"
    Phil. 4:13

MY 'Staight shooter' FEEDBACK LINK .
    Thank you for utilizing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Boolit Grand Master

The machinists handbook will give the sizes and tapers for the different morse tapers. You can simply measure it then

Boolit Master
    Chris,

Actually it was your reference to line boring that caused me to google it and the very first You Tube video that came out of the search had me doing hand springs!

I came to the realization of just how much one can do with a sufficient radial arm drill .............

We had a set back this AM when we found out that the 5 th wheel flat deck trailer that we had our eye on is broken down ...... We thought about our 2 ton truck for a bit but we did not like the added height in loading, hauling and unloading. We also were going to have to travel back to where the drill was located and get a precise height measurement because we might have been illegal.

We took a different path. We used my brother's low boy .......... yes, overkill but a better (lower) deck height, better suspension etc than the truck.

Bottom line, this evening our new to us baby resides in our hay shed on a pair of railroad ties .......... the baby is home!

We also got a weight .......... right at 8800# ......... while we were at it.

Now we can start the process of chosing where it's new home will be with respect to our existing shop.

Skinny,

We are working on pictures and I'll get some more tomorrow. While we were unloading we were experiencing difficulty as our forklifts were not upto the task of sitting on either side of the trailer and picking the drill as we had to keep them back to allow the low boy to pull away without scraping the lift trucks. The smaller of the forks was a 5000# and it could not begin to lift much less hold it's share of the weight ........ the Clark 7000# did fine on a split.

So we had to chain the drill to the Clark and pull it to it's side of the trailer. From there, I lifted it but only barely.

We needed a strategy and quick!

What we found that one could nose the forks down, then lift the forks as high as they'd go ......... and pull back on the mast and run the forks up hill ............

That's how I got off the trailer and also re-raise it to place it on the ties in our hay shed.

It sure feels good now!

Mark

Boolit Master
    country gent,

Thanks for another great tip ......... I thought about for moment and did a google search ................. WA LA!

Morse Taper charts on line ................

I'll measure our shanks etc. tomorrow and report back .........

Probably be some pictures then also!

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    Dad went along today ...... when we went after the press ....... his first time to lay eyes on it ..... after the (descriptive) explicatives ...... he had some good thoughts on it! LOL!

Mark

Boolit Master
    A machine weight of less than 9000 lbs. puts it in a range where you can still mount this on the adjustable rubber machinery mounts. It would be something to think about. You don't need to anchor to a large slab of high strength concrete ( would still be good to have it on a 6" thick slab of 5 sac cement, not dirt ) and no machine base grouting is then required. These mounts often go on sale at Enco or MSC. Main advantage is they dampen the machines natural resonance and greatly improve machine cutting finishes. These mounts just slightly elevate the machine and have a screw built in for leveling. The cheaper Mason brand in the size MLS-4000 gives you a 4000 lb. weight limit per pad and are about $62 each. Royal makes the best ones, but they cost over $200 ea. and aren't necessary. 4 give you a weight limit of 16,000 lbs. twice what your machine weighs. Used these on our mid to smaller sized machines and it made installation and moving at a later time easier. When mounted to these, it just gives room for a set of fork lift forks to slip under the base. Biggest advantage was eliminating more than 60% of tool chatter in heavy cuts. The rubber ( or neoprene ) stops the machine using the resonance that happens with the normal ground anchor mounts. Larger machines can't use these mounts due to weight, things weighing in at 14,000 lbs. and above, but weight of your drill makes it just right for these. Just a suggestion. Might also save you a bunch of time on the install.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Chris,

I googled the mounts you referenced and they certainly look viable.

So I assume that would preclude a solid tie down of the press? Is it viable to drill or line bore with the drill when it's not directly over the base when the work pieces are so tall or thick that you can't place them on the base and would not bolting the press down eliminate that option?

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-23-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    That's why the pads that are so oversized for the actual weight. ( twice what's required for the weight ) Worse position for weight distribution would be during a setup where you would swing the arm to the rear 90 degrees clearing the table for setups. Some setups require the table to be removed and the project bolted directly to the base. Boring bar end support becomes a problem with projects off the tombstone or table, much easier on. Further away from the column you get, or off the footprint of the base you get, the lighter a cuts you have to take due to tool chatter, setup being outside the machines design specs, still can be done though. You mentioned " hay barn " and I have on as well, mine has a dirt floor, if yours does to, and you are thinking about running it out there, you are going to need to something else for a mount because of the dirt floor. Lag bolt it to a couple of RR ties ?? ( cross wise for a bigger footprint ) These rubber mounts will only work well on a decent slab of concrete, off a slab, going to take something else. Post some pics, let's see what you got.
    Chris

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast