Load DataWidenersPBcastcoReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Mother Of All Drill Presses!

Boolit Master

What score. WTG.

Boolit Master
    Now that 10-X mentioned it, seams our American Hole-Wizard did have a manual lowering device located next to the drive. As I remember, it took a 3/4" square drive to lower it, slow, but can be done. Be well worth looking for and doing before you transport it. Just bring a couple of people to turn the crank, it's going to take awhile.

Chris

Boolit Master
    Fellow members,

Yes, it has a tombstone and a vise on top of it but it's not much of a vise. The tombstone looks up to the task however.

The idea of hand operating the press into a better position for transport is great! I'll look into that!

I spoke with someone from the County shop where this press came from who knows it and he told me about the only thing really wrong with the drill is that clamp on the column is worn. I asked him if it was external and likely someone could build it up? He thought one could give it a new lease on life. He said they would drill a pilot hole, put in the large bit and run it backwards to assure it was centered and then run it forwards. I have read that's a good way to damage some body parts.

I am not suddenly ignoring you all, I really appreciate the great help here. My wife plays in a band and tonight is their concert so duty calls!

I'll be back as soon as I can.

Best regards

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-17-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwheel View Post
    I've never run into that brand of radial drill. But one of the ways you can tell something about capacity it has is the size of the taper in the spindle. #5 a is respectable size, you can go to the standard taper size chart and tell something about it's capacity by the drill sizes listed for that taper. Also, a neat thing is you do have a lathe and can make single point ( or boring tools ) to fit your own needs. Depending on the feeds and speeds available on the machine, think you should be able to bore up to 6" in steel with the right setup, and some will cut threads as well. You most likely know clamping stuff down is a big deal, anything that gets that much power from large tooling can be turned to junk in a heartbeat. You have not said if it has the tombstone or a vise. Typically we would get a nice vise off a old 20" shaper ( or larger ) and mount to the tombstone. That 2 7/8" drill is a nice size and be used as a pilot hole for boring jobs. If you can't lower the arm, at least crank the head all the way into the column clamp it down. Also might want a chain on the end of the arm so it can't swing in transport. I've move much bigger stuff, but always had the right equipment available, guess I'm spoiled by that. Can see how moving it could cause some stress !!
    Chris
    Chris,

The Archdale was made in England, with the town it was made in named after it. The company was founded way back and in the 60's or there abouts bought up by another and perhaps another still later.

The tombstone that comes with our drill is two sided (top and a side) but it has a fairly lame vise mounted on it. I'll be on the lookout for a better one.

You are getting me pretty stoked up about how versatile a radial arm drill can be .........

We are looking at all of our options to haul the drill and the one that's jumping out at us is a heavy duty dual wheeled tandem axle goose neck trailer. It would give us plenty of capacity, a fairly low hauling and loading height and probably the softest ride of the options we are exploring. Over the trailer axles there is a steel diamond deck on top of 2 by planking and to facilitate getting forks out from under and back under the base we will need to use some wood and that will reduce the chance for the drill trying to skid on the steel deck.

We might do a second recon on the drill prior to whatever day we intend to haul it so as to try screwing the arm down and retracting the spindle unit in close to the column.

Thanks again

Mark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    This forum is such a great source of knowledge. I will never need such a machine, but so many of the comments give insight into other areas of useful information. This one has helped me to learn about moving heavy machinery, capabilities of large machines, general understandings of size variations in machine tapers, practical use of three phase power, the relative worth of some old iron, tips on auctions, and more. That is just this thread. CB has given me quite an education in the past couple of years. My thanks to all of you who share your valuable hard earned knowledge.
    Sincerely
    Traffer
    +10!!

Mark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A good drill press is as accurate as the lay out and set up work. We did hole patterns and laid them out with a height gage on surface plate then prick punched and checked with magnifying glass then center punched and drilled in the drill press. A piece can be indicated in and bored in the drill press with a little work. At work we had a few extra drill presses for those times when a part needed modified or changed a little. Set it up and a fixture then run the parts needing to be modified thru. The drill press is a versatile piece of equipment. A nice addition to them is a tapping head for multiple holes makes tapping much easier and faster.
    Wow, I can see I have a long ways to go to change up my game!! With my eyes, now ......... I don't know if the Hubble telescope would help me??? But I would not have of thought of using a magnifying glass .......... that's GOOD! Thank you!

Pretty versatile? I will say after all you kind folks's help, I am gaining an appreciation for the drill I lumbered into the likes of which I never imagined!!

The idea of tapping with a drill is also intriguing!

Can't wait to get that BABY fired up!!!

Thanks

Mark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Three44s, check the drive for both axis, unless really strange there should be a means to manually turn the head down the collum as well as move it toward the collum. Interested how it goes, almost makes me want to back to work,LOL.
    You'd be most welcome here!! But it is a fer piece ....... I am in S. Central WA! LOL!!

The motor at the top of the column has the motor coupler exposed so dropping the arm might be a slow but doable proposition. The spindle travel has a screw that runs out two the end of the arm ........... you and Chris are likely onto something there.

Thanks

Mark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    What score. WTG.
    Thank you sir!

Mark

Boolit Master

Mark, there may be an electric lock( clutch) attached to the axis drive, IIRC they are DC volts. Electrician made up a litle transformer from 120VAC to adjustable VDC, cant remember the voltage but a few batteries rigged up would work. Had a large Giddings and Lewis horizontal boring machine run over the end stops of the table. Jack leg tried to push table with forklift!!! Bent ball screw, broke drive housing off bed. Simple 1 hour job turned into several months waiting for parts and recoating way surfaces. Machine was a 50's model, well built with mechanical feeds but could not deal with " cannibals" working on it.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    10-x,

Thanks, something else to keep an eye out for!

Here's some eye candy ............ kind of a small drill ........ LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhd_SYUEp6E

Enjoy!

cwheel asked me if I got a tombstone with our press and we did but I see they are even more versatile than I realized by watching the above video. The crappy vise mounted on it does not concern me as much now.

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-18-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Boolit Master

Mark, brings back a few memories. Most places would not allow one to take pics and did not take lots of notes, sure worked on one of those.
    Good luck and keep us informed.
    Dave, 10-x
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Rancher1913, I have my grandfathers hand crack drill press and now that we moved into a larger place I will be mounting it to a wall. I even have a number of bits and have fond memories using it in his barn.

Boolit Master
    Well Mark, sounds like you have the right trailer for the job. If it will transport a full sized backhoe, it should move that drill just fine. Also sounds like you have the tombstone and vise as well, good start. Half of the larger stuff you might do will be clamped with hold downs to that tombstone. Vise can be replaced at some point for something better. As a suggestion, we went looking for a damaged shaper ( and found one, a Cincinnati heavy duty 20" ) with a nice factory swivel vise to use on our American Hole Wizard, it worked out great. The dealer was going to scrap that old shaper, it only had scrap value, most folks don't run shapers anymore. That vise cost us $300 and was almost new. The vise we got weighed at least 400 lbs. with the swivel base and had heavy duty jaws that were at least 14" long. Don't know if you got a chuck for the spindle with the purchase, but it's one of the first things you'll need. Think about looking for a Jacobs ball bearing #20N. This chuck has a range of 3/8 - 1" very useful with a radial. Get the right size #5 mt. shank with it, or change it out to the right size before using, these radial drills have plenty of power to bend or break the smaller shanks. Mine came from a swap meet where someone was selling a machinist's tools, but it's very common to find one with a radial drill already. Because of the size of that chuck, hard to miss at a pawn shop or swap meet. If your pockets are deep, MSC has them as well. On a side note, someone her talks about running a larger drill in reverse over a smaller pilot hole to center the larger drill. Common practice, I did it all the time, very slowly. I also witnessed someone doing this at high speed in reverse without clamping the column or drill head. The 2" + drill tossed the arm, broke the drill, and the operator needed stiches when the drill shattered sending shrapnel into his arm. Could have killed him. Center over a smaller hole in reverse VERY SLOWLY, then clamp everything down and drill. With these higher powered drills, when something lets go, things get dangerous very fast. Sounds like you have the transport handled, have fun with it.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

One of the most common "mistakes" people make is drilling to big of a pilot hole. This allows the drill to want to grab and bind. Dosnt allow the properly sharpened drill bit to center as well. It also cause heavier wear on the lands of the drill. A quick idea is look at the web on the big drill ( flat where the 2 cutting edges come together) and drill the pilot slightly bigger. This will cut down a lot on chatter and grabbing, drills last a lot longer.

Vendor Sponsor

3 44's so where's the pictures of this new device? I have been waiting since the beginning of this thread.

If you don't post pics of the machine, you didn't really get it now did you?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Yes, I'd like to see pics as well, but lets give him enough time to get it home from the auction yard and off the trailer. For most of us privately, that's going to be a major undertaking.
    Chris

Boolit Master

Mark, you can hire some Egyptians to move it in your shop! LOL
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JMax View Post
    Rancher1913, I have my grandfathers hand crack drill press and now that we moved into a larger place I will be mounting it to a wall. I even have a number of bits and have fond memories using it in his barn.
    JMax,

When you make a hole with that setup, you really earned it well!

Best regards

Mark

Boolit Master
    Pics? Especially the nameplate on the motor, might be multivolt?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Everybody,

We actually are pursuing borrowing the trailer I posted about. It used to belong to a guy that works for us and we are pretty sure that we are still in the current owners good graces.

Today we loaded up a tall step ladder and a bunch of tools, went to visit the press. We hit pay dirt! We got the arm fully lowered and brought the spindle to the column. I like Kriol and had a full can along which came in real handy. We found there is a direct hand control to run the spindle anywhere you want it on the arm. To lower the arm we first relocated the tombstone out to the end of the base. Next we started turning the coupler between the column motor and the press. After the kroil had a chance to soak in we took the fan cover off it and used the motor's fan to turn the column drive.

While we were at it we stopped by the county's shop and found the guy that used to run it. He gave us the paper work on it including a consistent but useful operation and maintainence book for that machine. Talk about hitting pay dirt!

Also the decision to unload this press came from higher up! That speaks well of the press in my opinion.

So now we are ready to haul and we saved what documentation the county shop had from future destruction, a pretty good lick!

Chris,

Thanks for the added suggestions, they are very pertinent! People have a hard time understanding just how much damage power equipment can do to a human body or to other things around it!

Dave,

There is some sort of brake on the column drive but it did not bother us.

More later!

Mark
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast