Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPP in 7.62 LC 87 brass

SPP in 7.62 LC 87 brass

Why? During reforming LC 87 7.62 NATO I found 3 out of 150 cases have small primer pockets. Obviously mixed lots but why use spp for military ammo?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    Are you certain that you don't have "ringers"? Sometimes when decapping crimped primers, the decapping pin will push out the bottom of the old primer leaving the walls of the primer cup in the pocket. These can be mistaken for small primers at a casual glance.

PB
    I'd have to agree. Although with the "lead free" ammo that some companies are making these days, it's not impossible to happen I suppose. They make .45acp with small primers because of this. The case heads are pretty similar between .45 and .308, so it wouldn't be that hard of a changeover at the plant.

I'd like to see some pictures.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Several have tested 308,243, and 22-250 with primer pockets sleeved down to Small rifle size. I have some 243 long range brass that's sleeved to SR size for 1000 yds. It gave better SDs and ESs.

Boolit Master

Ps, I've seen faked LC headstamps too.

Would love to see pics of these srp LC.

Banned

I'd be more inclined to go with the primer left the ring behind thing too.
    I have seen both 7.62's and 5.56 stuff do it before.

now there has been some SR cases made in the past on the 308 family.
    but I don't recall ever hearing of any military type brass having it.

Thanks guys. One primer did pop a top and left the sidewalls in the case. That was the clue I missed. Better light and readers will probably solve this. I thought it weird being they were military. I'm reforming them to .358 Win.

Boolit Grand Master
    Soak the rest of that lot of brass with the penetrating oil of your choice for a day or two before decapping the rest, it really will help.

I had a bunch of 7.62 that had gotten wet and sat for a few years before I got around to working with it and I had some of the primers separate like yours. Even the ones that came out whole were kind of tough to do with a Lee decapping die in the old Rockchucker; after soaking in PB Blaster a while it was easy enough to push the primers out with a Lyman 310 tong tool. Big difference in effort required, I did run the cases through the tumbler with walnut media to remove the oil.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I recently processed 1.5K 556x45 with the LC HS and over 1% were lost to the "pop a top" primers.
    They were really frozen in place. I know that isn't a big deal but any suggestion to reclaim them would be appreciated. These were probably range pickups I bought.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Thanks mk42- will do. I've only processed 5.56 LC before and had no problem. Of course they weren't 30 years old either. For giggles I'll try to pry the three "ringers" out with a jewelers screwdriver.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can find a appropriate sized bottom tap you might be able to pull the rings with it. Tap down thru and use the tsp to push it out as you turn it

Banned
    ??? I've processed untold thousands of 7.62/5.56 LC & can't hardly remember leaving the ring in the pocket, I mean a small handfull, at most.

I'll soak the remainder of the brass in PB blast. Of the three it happened to, I tried unsucessfully for 10 min. to remove the ring on one. Then I scrapped them.

The only time I've had this happen was with PMJ 7.62 brass, and it was probably because I wet cleaned it without depriming first. Lesson learned for me.

Boolit Master

I generally have a few "ringers" (nice descriptive term) in every lot of US military 7.62 brass I get. I figure its a combination of corrosion from getting wet while waiting to be picked up on the range and/or wet cleaning. To date I haven't been able to pry any rings out. I now toss mine in the scrap bucket, as I find the time spent unsuccessfully fiddling with them could better be used processing the cases that are cooperating.

Boolit Master

I've had those rings left in primer pockets off and on for decades. Somewhere along the line I made a little tool out of a broken firing pin that fits in the rings and pries them out quickly and easily, very slick and only takes a couple seconds. It worked so well I made another one for large primers. It has to be shaped just right, hardened and tempered or it will bend or break.

Boolit Grand Master

It's just hard for me to toss brass with such a minor defect and remember that I paid for them. It's not like a serious dent or a creased mouth.
    Dad taught me to salvage anything usable. He said todays plastic junk was built with disposal in mind.
    Old habits are hard to break.

Thanks to Phineas Buster for nailing it for me. I have upgraded my lighting and will wear those reading glasses when reloading from now on.
    Mold Maker- they are in my scrap brass container(not thrown away yet) I may salvage them later(unless you want them haha).
    Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    Thomas,

About the time I hit my late fifties, I started to notice that my arms weren't long enough to focus on the smaller items any longer. I have to keep a pair of readers on hand for more than a few chores.

PB
    Yes sir, I have them everywhere. I just forget to use them sometimes! I'm 58.

Boolit Grand Master

I've worn coke bottle bottoms since I was 5. Since having cataract surgery, I only really need them for close work.
    I first found the ringed brass when a primer only partly tore and I couldn't remove it from the SH. I found the rest while removing the PP crimp.
    The primer rim was really stuck, and nothing seems to loosen or remove them. I tried several penetrating oils and heat, to no avail. Drilling them with the next size smaller bit was futile.
    I decided they weren't worth the effort, but they're still not scrapped.
    Apparently they were in the weather for quite some time before being collected, and corroded in the mated surface. The seller had walnut tumbled them to improve the appearance.

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I've seen, it doesn't take much corrosion of the primer to cause problems removing them. I think the inside of the cup gets corroded between the anvil and cup, weakening it until it won't stay together while you are trying to push it out. I don't think I ever had a primer lose its top after it started moving, so I really don't think the crimp has much to do with it.

The lot of brass I was using (WRA 64 or 67 IIRC) had very tight primer pockets anyway, even running uniformer in didn't really help.

I have never been able to get the remaining ring out and still have a useable piece of brass. Since all they cost me was a bit of effort loading them into my truck I don't sweat loosing a few pieces.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast