MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPP in 7.62 LC 87 brass

Boolit Master

I'm telling you guys, if you make a little tool of the right shape and hardness, popping these little rings out is simple, only takes a second and doesn't damage the brass. I've done dozens over the years.

Here's the tool I made out of a broken .22 firing pin. It fits perfectly inside the ring and pries it out easily.
    Attachment 193921

Boolit Master

For curiosity's sake, I went out to the garage and dug out a couple pieces of scrap brass, drilled though the top of the primers to leave the ring, and took a couple photos. I need to revise my statements a little; it takes more than a couple seconds each, up to 15 or 20 seconds on a stubborn one. It also leaves a couple little dings on the outside of the primer pocket, but it's cosmetic only. Please excuse the really grungy brass. It was in the scrap bucket.

Attachment 193923Attachment 193924

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll try to remember to make one of those tools the next time I am messing with some of that lot of brass. No guarantees, but thanks for the picture anyway.

Robert

Boolit Master

Sorry, didn't mean that to come across pushy as it might have seemed; just wanted to share a little trick I figured out.

As to practicality, the value of all the brass I've saved with it over the last decade or so probably wouldn't come close to the value of the time it would take to make the tool. Then again I think that a lot of the tinkering that many of us do with this kind of think isn't very cost-effective.

Boolit Grand Master
    Practicality? This is a hobby for me, it doesn't have to be practical. As far as cost effectiveness goes-- if we were to do that, we would all be shooting generic 9mm and 5.56mm ball.

I kind of look at it like this: if the fishing rod or gun puts meat on the table, it is paid for. A 6.5-06 98 Mauser once paid for itself with a grey squirrel; a bit off the wall, but he was being annoying all afternoon while I was sitting on a coal dump waiting for a deer to walk by.

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12