Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2PBcastco
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22LR @ Walmart

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Not sure what it was way back in the 80's but I remember dad and I getting bricks for $7-$8 each in the late 90's......sigh
    So what? I remember when pop cycles were a nickel
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I can remember when gas was 24.9cents and premium was 34.9 cents (1970) but those days are long gone. I remember buying .22lr for .50 cents a box of hundred and yes those days are long gone also. What will the new price level out to be that remains to be seen. I am thinking maybe we will see .22lr for $15-20 a brick one day but then I am not sure as the cost of manufacture, shipping, storing, handling, selling just keep going up and so will the product.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Worked at a Two Guys department store in the 70's. My boss and another associate handed me a large heavy box on my birthday -- a case of CCI .22's. 5,000 rounds in 100 round plastic boxes. I moved to Florida soon after (1974), bought my first handgun, a Ruger Super Single Six .22/.22 mag for $98 at Bill Jackson's on 4th Street St. Petersburg, and that ammo lasted a looong while . I still have and love that revolver...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Worked at a Two Guys department store in the 70's. My boss and another associate handed me a large heavy box on my birthday -- a case of CCI .22's. 5,000 rounds in 100 round plastic boxes. I moved to Florida soon after (1974), bought my first handgun, a Ruger Super Single Six .22/.22 mag for $98 at Bill Jackson's on 4th Street St. Petersburg, and that ammo lasted a looong while . I still have and love that revolver...
    Imagine if all the guys with the tricked out .22's went to single shots and we all traded out MkII's in for single six's ....probably wouldn't have been such a run on the ammo heh
    My firearms project blog

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Imagine if all the guys with the tricked out .22's went to single shots and we all traded out MkII's in for single six's ....probably wouldn't have been such a run on the ammo heh
    You may have a point there. I was at the rifle range yesterday getting a new rifle sighted in. On the next bench was a man with a Ruger 10-22(tricked out of course).
    During the time I was there, he never fired less than 5 shots at what I would consider to be a rapid fire pace and often ran out the magazine. He went through a minimum of 250 rounds while I was there.
    He said he was getting ready for a silhouette shoot.

Vendor Sponsor

torso silhouette ?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Guess he wasn't at the range I belong to, no fast dumping of a mag. allowed.

Shots are to be 5 seconds apart.

No idea why, but they will ask for your card if caught.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Because it is run by FUDDS

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer in nh View Post
    because it is run by fudds
    agreed !!!!!

Boolit Master
    Loved my single six .always got through a couple of hundred rounds if I take my 1022 to the range but 500 rounds cost £ 50 here wish it was £26 here let alone $26 .

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Because it is run by FUDDS
    May well be, but it is one of the largest clubs in southern Michigan!

Has a large Trap range, archery, has sanctioned Benchrest matches both Smallbore and High power, active Blackpowder matches, covered pistol range for 50 shooters, actively supports youth training.

If this is FUDDS, so be it.

One thing is missing out on is Air Gun matches.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    I shoot cast boolits in my 22 Hornet cheaper than I can buy 22 LR's

Larry
    I want a .22 Hornet so bad I can taste it. I just download my .223 bolt action for now.

My dream gun would be a nice single shot .22 Hornet.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I want a .22 Hornet so bad I can taste it. I just download my .223 bolt action for now.

Savage still makes a bolt action .22 hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post

No. 3 Ruger? eh?
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    No. 3 Ruger? eh?
    I'd love one. But it seems that everyone selling one thinks they are made of gold.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Nothing wrong with a downloaded .223 IMO. Mine is in a Handi rifle.
    I have 3 loads, a 4.6 grains of Red Dot below the 55 gr bator no gas check that is a pretty good replacement for .22lr.

A slighly hotter version with gas check that is more accurate at longer distances but still is significantly quieter than factory loads.

And a Jword bullet load that I have loaded but tend not to shoot often.

Boolit Master

I'm never concerned about the lowest price per brick/sack/carton, as 3-5 duds per 100 hasn't interested me in over 2 decades, even if there are 500, 525, or 1000 in there.

Wal-mart is the only retail chain left that sells .22LR with a modest markup, that's why it's always out of stock there. Last month 22 was in stock at my local store, I passed on buying it- because, it was Remington Thunderbolts. You see, 5-10 duds/100 and 500fps extreme spread REALLY doesn't interest me.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    I'm never concerned about the lowest price per brick/sack/carton, as 3-5 duds per 100 hasn't interested me in over 2 decades, even if there are 500, 525, or 1000 in there.

Wal-mart is the only retail chain left that sells .22LR with a modest markup, that's why it's always out of stock there. Last month 22 was in stock at my local store, I passed on buying it- because, it was Remington Thunderbolts. You see, 5-10 duds/100 and 500fps extreme spread REALLY doesn't interest me.
    5-10 per 100? that seems excessive to what we've experienced with thunderbolts we've been using for JR steel matches, the kids go through 1,500 rounds easy in a meet and we get maybe 2 or 3 lost rounds in that time...mostly towards the end when guns get dirty. And that is my complaint is that the thunderbolts are dirty as sin.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That's $6 above the previous normal price. I see people mentioning prices below $15 all the time. It hasn't been that price in well over a decade. $20 was the norm before it disappeared. Not the greatest price. But when you have children that shoot cases of it that price is tolerable.
    That is what I found as well, pre '08 I recall buying federal bulk packs for 19.99 to take my gf to the range. Growing up I think they were 9.99 but I expect a bit of inflation over 20 years. Academy has had the remington buckets for 1400 @ 69.99 in stock off and on over the past year and other brands around similar price per round.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Just bought a case of Federal Champion auto target, 3250 rounds for 195$ total including shipping. SG ammo. That is as close to 6 cents ea even as I have seen in 4 years. Am I a happy camper, heck ya. But it did not double my stash, maybe increased it a third. And if that means my wife is not afraid of burning up all my ammo and shoots more. Well that is never a bad thing. And considering she paid for half of it, well does it get any better than that? Be here tommorow or tue at the latest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast