RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TICKS... are here in S.E. Minnesota(2017).

Boolit Master
    Dawn dish soap on a cotton ball or Q tip and rotate on the tick counterclockwise to remove them.

Boolit Mold
    Strange. Same thing in Europe - when we were kids, none catched a tick, as far as I can remember. Only out dogs did. Now, the ticks are literally crawling on us if we forget permethrin and DEET(which got its own side effects).

Boolit Master
    That map shown, By Dragon813gt, will kind of show ya one of the reasons I posted the topic.

Here in this area of Minnesota, we are in a pretty infested area. I live pretty much in that "blob" in the TC(Mnpls/St.Paul) area. Just on the SE edge of that "Blob". in the East Central part of the state...
    I have had those "bullseyes" before, but keep coming up "negative" for Lymes when tested... I already have some arthritis & don't need more issues. I keep having them test since the "arthritis" symptoms are similar to the Lymes in some ways...

Anyway, regardless of your area...

Keep a good eye out for them, particularly on your pets & children. Ya don't want them to have the issues & they are less likely to know if they have the tick on them, before the lil buggers get attached.

Be safe folks.

Boolit Master
    They have showed up in western North Dakota .

I had one up in ely on easter. Its going to be a bad year for them. Wish i could take the chewables the dog gets.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    That map shown, By Dragon813gt, will kind of show ya one of the reasons I posted the topic.

Here in this area of Minnesota, we are in a pretty infested area. I live pretty much in that "blob" in the TC(Mnpls/St.Paul) area. Just on the SE edge of that "Blob". in the East Central part of the state...
    I have had those "bullseyes" before, but keep coming up "negative" for Lymes when tested... I already have some arthritis & don't need more issues. I keep having them test since the "arthritis" symptoms are similar to the Lymes in some ways...

Anyway, regardless of your area...

Keep a good eye out for them, particularly on your pets & children. Ya don't want them to have the issues & they are less likely to know if they have the tick on them, before the lil buggers get attached.

Be safe folks.
    We've seen an uptick in Lyme disease in Florida for sure. It's scary because it's for life (if I remember correctly it only goes into remission). Not fun at all!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

The year has already started with the ticks and snakes in NW FL. We have the normal nasty ticks, I use dog or/and cat flea and tick spray on my pants legs and my boots, keeps the crawling critters down pretty well and is easy to use. Here soon, we will have the yellow flies out in droves, real nasty if you are allergic to their anticoagulant enzyme, can leave a large blister and enough bites will put a person into anaphylactic shock, similar to multiple bee stings. Deep Woods Off seems to do the job to keep them away. We have eastern diamondbacks that do not rattle (wild hogs eat the ones that rattle) and copperheads that are gray and black (they look like a pecan limb laying on the ground). So right now it is good to take precautions and watch where you walk on the FL, AL and FL, GA border areas.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Moderator Emeritus

Had a couple on me after pulling the irrigation out of the garden so I can till it. The big dog ticks though, deer ticks are pretty rare out on the prairie. They don't like my blood and just crawl around on me and creep me out. I spend the rest of the night with the creepy crawlies... hate them things!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend that worries a lot about ticks. I was visiting their farm for Easter, we went for a hike into the woods as well as his veggie fields, he found a tick, and just about had a panic attack, and ran back to the house to change and check 'everywhere'. I just laughed, the ticks don't bother me too much...I rarely find one on me? if I feel one, I pick it off and move on...maybe it's all the garlic I eat?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Ticks have been a problem here in southcentral Pennsylvania for my whole life, or at least back into the mid-1960s.
    FWIW, my dogs have had ticks on them even in the depths of very cold winters (despite getting regular treatments for fleas and ticks).
    Our vets says that is not unusual for this area.

I have killed deer in rifle season(starts the Monday after Thanksgiving) that were covered in ticks.

Moderator Emeritus

I went with my dad to scout campsites along the river for my brothers boy scout troop and the girl scouts who were doing a combined canoe trip. We found a great spot we thought, walked through a strip f 4' tall grass near the river but a great flat spot up past that. We got back to the truck and I noticed 8 ticks on my leg, then more on my arm, then more IN my pants... dad was just as covered. We stripped to our underwear right there on the road and removed over 100 ticks each. Wrote off camping in that spot! Found a nice sand bar 5 miles further downriver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12