Not happy with Savage, but turned out sorta OK

take one of these
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...KANBRUSHHUNTER

add one of these
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1433170.htm#1433170B

with a little dremel work to make this fit
    http://store.accurate-mag.com/savage...mmetalkit.aspx

and Robert's yer mother's brother.

It really was my own fault for not doing enough research in advance, but I was very upset when I got the Savage to find that it would only hold 3 rounds total. Who decided a "dangerous game" rifle should only hold 2 in the mag and one in the chamber? And dang near impossible to load more into the center feed mag. So, half the price of the rifle later, it holds six and five more in a spare mag.

Still not sure if I'm gonna keep it, or if someone is gonna get a heck of a deal on a lion/bear rifle in 375 Ruger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170408_170845.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	193336

Perma-Banned
    I want to meet the guy who can get off more than three shots from a 375 Ruger/H&H at any charging dangerous game. You might recall the most expensive dangerous game rifle only have 2 shots available.........

I remember an old African safari movie clip of a lion charging a professional hunter/guide(probably 50 or more years ago). The guide was using a bolt action rifle and missed his first 2 shots. He killed the lion with the third shot. By the time he got the third shot off, he put the rifle barrel in the lion's mouth.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richmanpoorman View Post
    I want to meet the guy who can get off more than three shots from a 375 Ruger/H&H at any charging dangerous game. You might recall the most expensive dangerous game rifle only have 2 shots available.........
    I never said I was man enough to shoot it three times in a week, much less stand before a charge. But, nobody NEEDS a car that goes over 70 mph either, and they sell 'em every day. Nobody NEEDS to cast their own boolits, you can just buy them at the store, yet here we are on a website devoted to just that. I might need to loan it to someone who saw 4 hogs at once one time, so I wanted it to hold more than 3. If this was the stupidest thing I had done in my life to waste time, I'd be way ahead of where I am now.
    (or "this is 'Merica, so I built it how I wanted")

Perma-Banned
    375 Ruger for Hogs ? Have you ever hunted them ? If so ever seen the other 3 hang around after the first is shot ? Me neither. Now, splain to us why the double rifle is still the choice among those who can afford one, for dealing with nasties close up ?

Boolit Buddy
    The title confuses me a little bit. Why are you unhappy with Savage? The link that you gave shows a total capacity of 3 rounds.

Banned
    So you would be interested in the belt feed upgrade for an extra $40? That way you can attach an ammo can full of rounds (if you like).

Banned
    Actually after watching the video's of this gun, If I ever have the opportunity (and the money) to get one in 45-70, I might just pop.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    The title confuses me a little bit. Why are you unhappy with Savage? The link that you gave shows a total capacity of 3 rounds.
    Because I didn't do my research. 3 meant 3 in mag and one in chamber to my erroneous thinking. And it never occurred to me that the center feed would be such a pain to reload, I'm used to Remington, Springfield, and Mauser, drop rounds near the port and push.

Never said I or anyone else would need more than 3, but what I want ain't always what I need, and I didn't know about the belt fed option or I would have gotten it.......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richmanpoorman View Post
    ............Now, splain to us why the double rifle is still the choice among those who can afford one, for dealing with nasties close up ?
    Gun bearers?

Boolit Buddy
    What do you have mounted on it for an optic? Looks like a good low power variable who made it? How do you like it?

Boolit Buddy
    Now, splain to us why the double rifle is still the choice among those who can afford one, for dealing with nasties close up ?[/QUOTE]
    Because you have two triggers, two firing pins and two rounds in two barrels, if one malfunctions you still have another chance

Boolit Master
    And the howdah on the hip has two more.

Boolit Master
    Do you know how the howdah pistol got it`s name?Well,the first guy that saw one said"Howdah he!! do ya hold onto it when ya pulls the trigger".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    Because I didn't do my research. 3 meant 3 in mag and one in chamber to my erroneous thinking. And it never occurred to me that the center feed would be such a pain to reload, I'm used to Remington, Springfield, and Mauser, drop rounds near the port and push.

Never said I or anyone else would need more than 3, but what I want ain't always what I need, and I didn't know about the belt fed option or I would have gotten it.......
    Sorry I was joking about the belt feed. They are illegal even if you could set one up.

Boolit Buddy
    COOL RIFLE......It looks like a keeper to me! I'll be it will get your attention when you let one fly!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    What do you have mounted on it for an optic? Looks like a good low power variable who made it? How do you like it?
    Actually, that is a Chinese cheapy 2.5 fixed. The Leopold 2.5 ultralight compact works great, or the 1.25x4 Patrol with SPR fire dot reticle does even better. But they are on CZ 550 FS in 9.3 x 62 and Weatherby 375 H&H right now.....
    If I had to do it again, I'd just whack 4" off the Weatherby and add open sights.
    Or get ER Shaw to 375 Ruger one of the Springfields

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Sorry I was joking about the belt feed. They are illegal even if you could set one up.
    Why illegal? It's a bolt action. I knew you were joking, but when I first got it, I woulda gone for belt fed if available........
    Last edited by aephilli822; 04-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    sure they are, NOT

how are you liking that 9.3 550FS? have you killed anything with it?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast