Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 40x bore cleaner...WOW!

Perma-Banned
    Barrels should never be cleaned to bare metal until groups fall off. Really good barrels can go 100s of rounds w/o cleaning. As was pointed out cleaning wrecks more barrels than shooting. Nothing with any abrasive ever goes near any of my good barrels. As long as they shoot well, I could care less how shiny they are inside. One of the most famous barrel makers would invalidate his warranty if any abrasive stuff was used in his barrels. Another maker loved those who believed in "barrel break in" as they needed a new barrel far sooner than those who did not break them in.

Perma-Banned
    I have never used this 40X, i have heard good about it. I started using Boretech eliminator many years ago and have been happy with it

I just ( cleaned ) my wife new to her handgun.

The 40 x came out clean. I figured it just made the switch to cast a little simpler..
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master
    Is this a spray or pour type liquid?
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Master
    The Hoppes from 3 weeks ago did all the work. It just takes more time than most people have patience for these days.
    I use Hoppes at the range between groups sometimes. I use Hoppes in every rifle before I leave the range and store them when I get home with no more immediate cleaning.
    The Hoppes is allowed to work on the bore for a few days to a week or so. Then the rifles are cleaned again removing the last of the crud before storing.
    The next time I go to the range I wipe out the old Hoppes and I NEVER find any more crud, fouling or residue. Then I shoot.
    The several days to a week dwell time is all the Hoppes needs to do most of its work.

Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    Decided to deep clean my rifle tonight.

Brass brush, tight patch, saturated in 40x

20 passes per patch of 40x

Use an oiled patch after each 20 passes for 10 passes

After 4 bore cleaner patches they were coming out the color of the 40x and the red oil i was using.

This is all after 40 brush/patch passes 3 weeks ago with #9.

Really impressed, certainly wont use it every time but im amazed how different my crown and barrel looks.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The Hoppes from 3 weeks ago did all the work. It just takes more time than most people have patience for these days.
    I use Hoppes at the range between groups sometimes. I use Hoppes in every rifle before I leave the range and store them when I get home with no more immediate cleaning.
    The Hoppes is allowed to work on the bore for a few days to a week or so. Then the rifles are cleaned again removing the last of the crud before storing.
    The next time I go to the range I wipe out the old Hoppes and I NEVER find any more crud, fouling or residue. Then I shoot.
    The several days to a week dwell time is all the Hoppes needs to do most of its work.

i would believe this if i wasnt using hoppes up until this point. but i have 6 little bottles of it ive been using for many years...

i have considered just bore snaking hoppes down the barrel @ the range and look at it the next time i shoot the gun ( after the 1 shot) i was curious if the soak would blow it out with the fouling shot.

good thing im going to the range this saturday
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Perma-Banned
    Good info I can use for my old military rough bores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12