Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 40x bore cleaner...WOW!

Remington 40x bore cleaner...WOW!

Decided to deep clean my rifle tonight.

Brass brush, tight patch, saturated in 40x

20 passes per patch of 40x

Use an oiled patch after each 20 passes for 10 passes

After 4 bore cleaner patches they were coming out the color of the 40x and the red oil i was using.

This is all after 40 brush/patch passes 3 weeks ago with #9.

Really impressed, certainly wont use it every time but im amazed how different my crown and barrel looks.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Moderator Emeritus

More guns are ruined by improper cleaning than are or will ever be "shot out." We have some really awesome cleaners out there now. I recently cleaned my preacher's 7 mag and it was so coppered up, it was affecting its accuracy. After cleaning, it shot like it did when new.

This is also a good thing to know when buying used guns. First thing I do is run a few cycles of a good bore cleaner through any I get, and usually, there's significant copper in the bore. Getting that out is the first step to getting them to shoot well and consistently. And I've come to just follow the directions on each bottle, because they are NOT "all the same," and what works with one may not be the best way to use another. It's taken me a VERY long time to learn to "read the instructions," but it's finally paying off very well. What can I say? I never claimed to be all that bright!

+1 on what he said^^^^

I read my instructions on my bottle. It was obvious the cleaner was abrasive and not chemical.

The only thing i did ( different) was run an oil patch through it instead of oil patch/ brush.

Once the patches were coming out gray ( color of The cleaner ) i knew the bore was clean

I don't believe Blackwater was suggesting you failed to read the instructions on the bottle or doing it improperly and I know I wasn't.
    I think he was talking about his own possible mistakes when making assumptions about bore cleaners without reading the instructions.
    Also, I have purchased a used rifle or two that wouldn't shoot until I gave it a thorough cleaning.

If i came off defensive i didn't mean to.

I had The 40x in my stash of stuff and never used it before.

I can't believe how much black **** came out. I wasn't expecting 4/5 patches to be black. I just scrubbed it a week or 2 before

I get that kind of dirt when I use ball powder (which is most of the time). It seems to run a bit dirtier than some but it does shoot well.

Boolit Master
    I was giving a .222 that was left in a garage and had mud dobbers build a nest in the barrel. I cleaned it with 40x (you can still see a dark spot a few inches down the bore) first time out the worst group was 5/8".

i like it for rare deep cleaning.

I did 1 more run with the bore cleaner after letting oil sit in it for a couple days.

Patch comes out lite gray.

Oil patches come out the color they went it.

I'm really excited to hit the range.

I have everything from mouse fart loads to try to 2k fps ranchdog bullets

Always good to hear how a product works, might have to get me a bottle of that and try it.

Moderator Emeritus

Amen! As an old-timer these days, I remember back when all these new "wonder products" weren't even dreamt of, and I'm VERY glad that we have all this new stuff today. So many, many products out there. Nobody, I don't believe, can try them all. I made a stab at it, but when you get more cleaning stuff than you'll use in a lifetime, it's time to stop buying and go shooting so you can test them all out better!

One thing I've come to like is the newer synthetic oils that don't ever gum up. Petrochemicals inevitably dry out and form a gummy/hard to remove or dissolve sludge that can do bad things to triggers and the like. Cleaning products have come a VERY long way in the last 40 years or so! And we never seem to really appreciate that.

Boolit Buddy
    In the mid-80's I had two Rem. 700 rifles barreled by Hart Rifle Barrels, one in .223 the other in 22-250. I called them about cleaning and talked with P.J. Hart.

The upshot is that I was not supposed to clean the barrels after shooting. I was told to run a patch with Hoppe's #9 through the barrel and store the gun until the next shooting session then Run another saturated patch through it then dry as normal (I use the bench-rest version now). The copper deposits just dissolve.

I have followed this every since and there has never been copper buildup or any damage weather with the stainless barrels or my other rifles/pistols of carbon steel. They are generally so bright they blind me with a good bore lite.

FYI for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by youngmman View Post
    In the mid-80's I had two Rem. 700 rifles barreled by Hart Rifle Barrels, one in .223 the other in 22-250. I called them about cleaning and talked with P.J. Hart.

The upshot is that I was not supposed to clean the barrels after shooting. I was told to run a patch with Hoppe's #9 through the barrel and store the gun until the next shooting session then Run another saturated patch through it then dry as normal (I use the bench-rest version now). The copper deposits just dissolve.

I have followed this every since and there has never been copper buildup or any damage weather with the stainless barrels or my other rifles/pistols of carbon steel. They are generally so bright they blind me with a good bore lite.

FYI for what it's worth.
    I might try doing this, i have a ( clean slate) to start with...

I really don't wanna brush my bore every outing....

Interesting.

Banned

I use Hoppes #9 solvent. But on rifled barrels I mop the bore with Hoppes #9 and let it soak over night. The next day I'll mop it again with the Hoppes, then I clean the rest of the parts of the gun. Then finally I will bronze brush the bore several times, then I start with the patches. It takes several patches to get to clean, and sometimes if I fired many rounds I'll soak it again with hoppes and wait a bit before I run the patches through. I haven't had any problems with fouling yet, but I will be buying a bottle of Remington 40X tomorrow so I can check it out. Thanks LAKEMASTER and everyone else.

Just in my opinion, one of the major failures of fathers and grandfathers is to teach their family's shooting youngsters how to truly clean a firearm of any kind, rifle, handgun or shotgun. Over the years I have bought a ton of "shot out" guns and simply took them home and cleaned them. The bores cleaned back to bright steel, in 99% of the cases, will bring them back to perfect accuracy.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Quote Originally Posted by Sur-shot View Post
    Just in my opinion, one of the major failures of fathers and grandfathers is to teach their family's shooting youngsters how to truly clean a firearm of any kind, rifle, handgun or shotgun. Over the years I have bought a ton of "shot out" guns and simply took them home and cleaned them. The bores cleaned back to bright steel, in 99% of the cases, will bring them back to perfect accuracy.
    Ed

True and matches my experience.

Im slowly converting all guns to cast. So I've been using a lot of 40x.

I've personally found a fully oiled barrel is the key to this abrasive scrubber.

And shake the **** out of the bottle! you want that ball bearing to sound like a spray paint can

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like JB bore paste with the abrasives and all....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    its not JB bore paste, its something "else" that Remington was selling for years with a different name?
    Formerly known as "RemClean".

It is fine abrasives (simliar to JB) in an oil suspension rather than grease. I use both, usually RemClean for lighter build up and JB when I know I have a pile of crud to get through. Wrap a patch around an undersized nylon bore brush, apply to the patch and go to town. Reverse before fully exiting the muzzle, short stroke the throat. Will also work on a jag, but the brush gives you a longer surface of engagement and gets the job done quicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast