WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walmart find

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Harbor Freight has a perfectly good cast iron Dutch oven for a very good price. Don't forget to print or load a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon on your phone. Easily handles 100# plus batches of lead on a turkey fryer.
    dont the legs get in the way of the HF dutch oven?

Boolit Master
    I never try to get the last of the lead out of my pot, in fact I leave about an inch and a half of lead to harden in the bottom of my propane tank pot. The reason is when I process another batch of range lead, the lead in the bottom of the pot melts much faster and in turn transfers the heat to the range lead which is a mixture of many things. By adding smaller amounts and stirring in the scrap floats to the top and is removed as the molten lead increases.

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    dont the legs get in the way of the HF dutch oven?
    Burner has gaps in the frame that supports the pot, just have to turn it so all the legs fall into a gap. My Wal-Mart fish fryer has a >< shaped frame with a circle piece below and around the burner so plenty of gaps. Wouldn't work as well on a flat burner I suspect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-03 10.08.46.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	197413

The rusty cross pieces holding up the small pot are just angle iron I drop in across the main >< burner frame for doing smaller pots, remove those for dutch oven. I also stick one of them under one side to let lead cool and solidify when I'm done. Not quite covering the pot makes them easier to flip disk out of the bottom. So I tend to have half moon disks with Pb, or L2 or COWW written on them for use next time.

I do Dragonhearts approach, dropping the wedge shaped disk back into the pot flat on the bottom next time I do that type of lead. Having full contact with pot it melts faster and the molten lead transfers heat much better to the stuff sitting on (in) it. Really speeds things up. Especially clip on wheel weights which only touch at small points.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Got a LODGE corn bread pan (the triangle type )at my local RALPH'S ( Kroger) for $15 w/tax last week. Seems they were blowing out the "fancy" cooking section.

I picked up a couple of the lodge corn bread pans, pie shape, and my ingots stick pretty bad, pretty stubborn to come out. Any suggestions?

Boolit Buddy
    I started with cheap muffin pans from Walmart. First pour and they were glued to the pans. Sprayed them with some pb blaster graphite dry lube from Lowe's. Label says it's good to 850 degrees. Have powered over 400 lbs of muffin ingots and they just fall out. But, cast iron shouldn't stick. You might have to clean any seasoning to get the graphite to stick....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep749 View Post
    I picked up a couple of the lodge corn bread pans, pie shape, and my ingots stick pretty bad, pretty stubborn to come out. Any suggestions?
    Let it get a coat of rust on it. It will dump easier.

Boolit Master
    I saw a banner at our local HF that said everything must go.... the store may be two years old. I gotta go and Snoop......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

rusty molds

Got a muffin pan at thrift store. Bit rustyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	200288

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12