Thread: Walmart find

Boolit Man

Walmart find

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170414_204556.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	193298

I found this at Walmart today in the camping section. It was listed as a new product and I purchased it for $9.88. It seemed to be a good deal. Just let everyone know.

Banned

now I'm hungry.
    I could just see that full of baking powder biscuits as the lid was being pulled off to the side to dump the coals off.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

That is a good deal but........ personally Ill buy American made lodge cast iron every time. I have so much black iron kitchen furniture it's ridiculous.

Next week I'm taking the scout troop to valley forge. It'll be dutch ovens all week.

Oh wait...... this was about casting equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    now I'm hungry.
    I could just see that full of baking powder biscuits as the lid was being pulled off to the side to dump the coals off.
    I'm glad I just finished supper. What you said would have set me off for sure.

Boolit Master

looks like a good candidate for smelting lead. The small handle 180 offset from the large handle looks like a good temp perch for a set of vice grips right before lifting and pouring into the 1lb molds.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    The original non-stick cookware.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of the 15 inch versions. Make a pile of bacon and eggs in a hurry

Boolit Buddy

WalMArt Cast Iron

I looked at those a few times, but , every time I am at my local Wally there seems to be broken parts on the shelf or cracked handles like this one. Also much thinner than the Lodge. They do run half the price of Lodge for the Ozark (Walmart) brand made in China.

I found the same one for less than 10

Boolit Master
    Wife bought a Lodge for $19.95 at Wal Mart for my Granddaughter's Pounding.
    Frank G.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys , I just found this thread and found it useful

Boolit Bub
    any chance they had the biscuit tin version?

Boolit Bub
    OH! or maybe the corn bread?

Boolit Master
    Former Scout leader, I would buy one just to make blackberry or blueberry dump cake. I know it is usually a Dutch oven cooking cake.
    I have to reference a Silver Beaver Archie Huggins from MI. He taught everybody to make great cheap meal. I never lost weight on a camp out. My son is an Eagle Scout and still uses the things he learned in scouting 15 yrs ago.
    Leadmelter.
    MI

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Great for cooking! Not so good for re-melting lead. Having large diameter will tend to tip and slop molten lead! Not good. Having the opposite side handle can be of some help with vice-grips, but still can be extremely wobbly with 60-100# of lead in there.

A dutch oven is far better....deeper, heavier, more stable. Ladle the melt out...do not pour it. I use a ladle that holds enough to fill 3 Lee/SAECO/RCBS mold cavities in one pour.

Good luck - be safe!

Boolit Buddy
    Took a chance on a Walmart Ozark Trails Dutch Oven. lasted about 10 batches of range scrap before I noticed a crack thru the bottom of the oven. Time to return it and get a Lodge as I should have in the first place.

Boolit Mold
    I actually just grabbed one of the 15" skillets the other day to start processing wheel weights; will be sure to keep an eye out for cracking and other things of the like.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Wife bought a Lodge for $19.95 at Wal Mart for my Granddaughter's Pounding.
    Using a cast iron pot to pound on a kid? That's child abuse these days, isn't it? Even back in my day, we never got pounded with anything heavier than a wooden cutting board.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Great for cooking! Not so good for re-melting lead. Having large diameter will tend to tip and slop molten lead! Not good. Having the opposite side handle can be of some help with vice-grips, but still can be extremely wobbly with 60-100# of lead in there.

A dutch oven is far better....deeper, heavier, more stable. Ladle the melt out...do not pour it. I use a ladle that holds enough to fill 3 Lee/SAECO/RCBS mold cavities in one pour.

Good luck - be safe!
    Banger is absolutely right a skillet is good for cooking, but not melting or smelting lead. Trying to lift a big heavy pan with the added weight of molten lead is down right dangerous. It would be easy for it to get off balance and once it tips, possible disaster. If you want to smelt range lead then cut the top off an out of date propane tank. Weld a skirt around the tank to hold in the heat and you will have a first class and reasonably safe setup.

Harbor Freight has a perfectly good cast iron Dutch oven for a very good price. Don't forget to print or load a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon on your phone. Easily handles 100# plus batches of lead on a turkey fryer.

Only thing I would note is while the bail handle will support the pot with some lead still in the pot DO NOT try to pick it up by that wire handle to dump the last little bit of lead. Pulling hard against gloves the heat comes through fast and it is really hot. Let us not discuss how I know this fact and just go with trust me on this. I tip the pot, slip a piece of angle iron under one side to keep it tipped a little bit and let the small "half-moon" of lead harden.... or at least I do now.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast