Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Tayor & Company levergun quality?

Tayor & Company levergun quality?

Really curious from owners of these leverguns what their experiences have been. They seem little pricey and appear to be nicely made too. However, they don't seem to be very popular so maybe that's a sign or maybe they don't market as much as other firearm companies in the US.

I would love their 1892 T/D 357 mag. Everything I read was positive, but I think the current market for a levergun in that price range is limited. I too will be watching this one.

Taylor and Company is just an importer, they do not manufacture any firearms. They import Uberti's, Chaiappa's, and several others. They sell some fine firearms.
    It's bullet, not "boolit"
    SASS Regulator
    2016 SASS Eastern Division FCGF Champion
    '15 '16 PA St SASS GF Champion

duplicate post.

As far as popularity, it may be nothing more than price point and name recognition. Japanese made 92's carry the Winchester name, and Rossi 92's sell in a lower range, roughly half the price.

I shoot two of their Pedersoli 1873 rifles in .44WCF. One of them was the smoothest 1873 my gunsmith or I had ever picked up, the other not so much. That second one took about 250 rounds to wear in before it cycled smoothly. Both are certified silhouette killers now. The barrels are hammer forged and slick as glass. Have never had any leading with lead bullets that are barely big enough and too hard.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Quote Originally Posted by John Barleycorn View Post
    Taylor and Company is just an importer, they do not manufacture any firearms. They import Uberti's, Chaiappa's, and several others. They sell some fine firearms.
    Thanks for the clarification. Chiappa has a pretty bad reputation from what I've seen online over the years. PASS... Uberti seems to have a much higher reputation compared to Chiappa too. Probably just stick with either Marlin, Winchester/Miroku, or Henry unless some company comes out with an impressive lever that "rules them all!"

Quote Originally Posted by iMigraine View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. Chiappa has a pretty bad reputation from what I've seen online over the years. PASS... Uberti seems to have a much higher reputation compared to Chiappa too. Probably just stick with either Marlin, Winchester/Miroku, or Henry unless some company comes out with an impressive lever that "rules them all!"
    I think I would shop for a Nice Old Winchester in the caliber you want!!! Go for broke ! they are well worth the $$$$ Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    I have a Uberti 1873 32-20. It is a very nice gun. Very accurate. Its a gun i have not regretted buying.

Boolit Grand Master

Taylor advertises that their gunsmiths work over several models of their guns. Has anyone purchased one of these and willing to comment on the quality of the work?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The Codymatics are done by Cody Conagher, very good Cowboy Action gunsmith. I have several Codymatic 73's all Uberti's. You can save by buying right from him website is The Cowboy Shop
    It's bullet, not "boolit"
    SASS Regulator
    2016 SASS Eastern Division FCGF Champion
    '15 '16 PA St SASS GF Champion

Banned

Long Hunter Shooting Supply or Jim Bowie at Cowboys and Indians or Evil Roy
    Have guns done by the first two and through Evil Roy and his gunsmith.

Boolit Buddy
    As stated above, Taylor & Company does not manufacture their own. They do have a custom shop and deal in high quality stuff. I have one of their 1911s. They have a good reputation in the Cowboy Action and Wild Bunch communities. As for customer service, I broke a gun on a Thursday night practicing for a Saturday match. I called them in the afternoon. They over nighted me the part so I was set to go for the Saturday match.

I have a Taylor/uberti burgess 1883 45 Colt that I use for cowboy action. Nice gun and it was ready right out of the box. Also got it used for $900 shipped, I would not pay $1400 for one but the quality is that good.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two Taylor guns. Both Uberti, one a High wall in 38-55 & a Low Wall in 32-20. I have no complaints. Both have never leaded & the bores are smooth & even from chamber to muzzle. 38-55 is single trigger & good. 32-20 is double trigger & excellent. Everything on my two are spot on as to fit & finish.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by iMigraine View Post
    Really curious from owners of these leverguns what their experiences have been. They seem little pricey and appear to be nicely made too. However, they don't seem to be very popular so maybe that's a sign or maybe they don't market as much as other firearm companies in the US.
    What "levergun" are you asking about. Their 1873, 1866 & 1860 models are made by Uberti, the 1892 has been made by a couple of different manufacturers. You might contact Nate Kiowa Jones to learn about who/when.

I have their Brush Popper 1873. It has a 18-½" half-round/octagon bbl., and worked right straight from the box. As with most things nowadays, hand fitting is a lost art at factories. So I smoothed mine up and replaced the 1-ton truck springs used for the carrier and lever with wire ones from Slix-shot and it's smoother and will probably last longer before breaking too!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life