Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 45 fast twist gun built by johnson 1942

Boolit Master

My new 45 fast twist gun built by johnson 1942

My 1st custom built by Roger an (artist) Oregon 1-30 twist w/ 4 thousand deep grooves and a one piece breech plug . Pretty cherry stock/redwood burls on the lock areas wire point /bone inlays and buffalo horn / brass butt plate It shoots swaged paper patched 340gr/.440 boolits ,will be working up loads next week . I cant stop looking at the finish and admiring the thought going into this build !! I am a happy camper
    Attachment 193245Attachment 193246Attachment 193247Attachment 193248Attachment 193249Attachment 193250Attachment 193251Attachment 193252Attachment 193253Attachment 193254
    Last edited by Edward; 04-14-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Banned

Crazy good looking
    You have a treasure there.

Boolit Grand Master

She's purty!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    That is awesome

Boolit Buddy
    Great looking rifle. I'm sure you will experience a lot of enjoyment from it.

Perma-Banned
    That is a VERY NICE lookin rifle!

Boolit Master

Is she available for a date? I know I'm in a minority, but I really like glossy wood on most guns.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Perm-Banned
    i built that gun so it would go to the shoulder and you can look right down the sight. it has a double set trigger and a thompson lock. the barrel is from the oregon rifle barrel co and 45 cal and 1/30 twist. the bullet weighs about 335 grains. it is ment to be a paper patched bullet gun. the rear sight is a skinner on the barrel ghost ring sight. i really like the breech plug and i wish they still made them. it looks like a drum on the side of a barrel but is really a complete breech plug set up. the nipple sets right out in the open and it is fast and easy to put a new primer on it. it has a lot of bone and wire point inlays. i made the two brass fittings that go on the opposite of the lock over a beautiful reddish burl wood. i believe it is red wood. my favorite trigger guard is the thompson hawken as it is so practical. that style of triggerguard come from michigan. my second favorite is the ohio type and it is close to the thompson type. ive only shot it on about two occasions. when i first shot it i put close to 100 rounds thoughit one day. i have a small steel plate about 40 yards out and i wanted to see if i could do 100 rounds with out a miss. i did and that gun beat the steel plate all to heck. i know ed will enjoy the gun and take care of it. thanks ed for putting pictures of it on cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    You'll be a happy camper for sure. I have one of Roger's 50 caliber creations and so far it has won every match I have entered with it! I bought it from a seller's estate and he must have been 7 feet tall as I had to cut off 3 inches of stock so I could reach the trigger with my finger in off hand! I added so lead to the stock to make the balance back to what it was. I am not sure if you are used to using the 209 primer adapter but I really like them and have made a couple rifles that use them. I found out a couple things make them easier to use and I have a short piece of drill bit I turn in the body after each shot to get rid of any possible crud build up and I also found that wetting the primer before inserting it makes them easier to get out. I think Roger told me those, but not sure?
    John

Boolit Master
    Roger makes some great looking,good shooting guns, fortunate to have handled them when visiting/hunting with him. Folks that know me, know I talk a lot, and am pretty dang knowledgeable about guns/gunsmithing/shooting, especially muzzleloaders, but I can sit for days and listen to Roger, he is a walking Encyclopedia of knowledge on this subject, and the history of the area he lives in. Wish I lived out there old friend.

Perm-Banned
    koger, nice to hear from you, did you get your chokecherry seedling yet?

Boolit Master
    Nope, nothing yet Roger.

Perm-Banned
    let me know when you get them and if you dont by the end of may i will call the colorado state nursery, roger

Boolit Master
    Very nice rifle have fun and good shooting.

Boolit Master

Having owned a rifle made by Johnson1942, I will say that I have seen (many) pianos and expensive furniture that do not have as good a finish as he puts on his riflestocks.

You could bottle your technique and sell it. Or complete a write up here, I would vote it for a sticky.

If you haven't seen it in person, it's impressive.

Boolit Master
    Looks awesome! Nice work there Johnson1942.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Perm-Banned
    white rabbit, it is a sticky on the gunsmithing section.

Boolit Master
    When I bought my Roger-Rifle, named Peaches now due to the "peach bottom stock I had not seen a finish like that on a gun before although there were Schuetzen rifles that were close. After some calls and emails he sent me his setup and I have used it on 3 muzzle loaders I have built/assembles so far. The steps he uses are not complicated but do take a bit longer than just an oiled stock. Shooters at the range here in San Diego are amazed at his gun and also my copies which makes me very happy.

Perma-Banned

That is a beauty!

Perm-Banned
    this is a 4 thousands deep groove gun and a 60 thousands fiber or poly wad seals the gasses 100 percent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast