RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullets for Glock 21 in 45 ACP

Boolit Bub

Bullets for Glock 21 in 45 ACP

What type and size recommendations do you guy's have?? I was always told to not shoot cast bullets in a glock. I don't see why as long as I load them soft and clean the barrel more often.

poacherjo -- whether intentionally or not you're about to open a huge can of worms. The argument about shooting cast boolits in Glocks just goes on and on. Search the site and you'll find out! Suffice it to say that by doing so you'll void Glock's warranty as they say not to do so, and you may want to consider that. Having said that, many do it and claim no harm. Some change out the Glock factory barrel for an after market barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought lone wolf barrels for mine, but like he said many do it. I am just getting into casting, but have run a lot of ball ammo equivalent through my 21

Boolit Master
    They say no reloads too. Hornady says when reloading ammo that headspace on the case mouth (9MM, 10MM 45 Auto) to only taper crimp enough to straighten out the flare on the case mouth then they crimp heavy on their premium factory loads and leave a ring around the bullet that can range from slight to heavy. Many say a lot of things.
    Just shoot cast and clean more often than you would a regular barrel and use a hard bullet. Watch for build up.
    Mine stays cleaner than my 1911. But I am cautious. By cleaning I don't mean cleaning like you are trying to scrub the rifling out of the barrel, just light cleaning of the barrel. A few strokes of a brush. Seat the bullet deep enough so it won't jam into the rifling like some recommend for the 1911's to headspace off of. My 2 Glock 45 Autos head space very well,off the case mouth. Don't need to jam the bullet.
    I like the Saeco 058 bullet at around 210 gr.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Love my G21 with Lone Wolf barrel. It eats everything I feed it with zero problems. I load the Layman 452630 SWC and 452374 RN, Accurate 45-200E TC and NOE 453-210-RNFP/HP. I had outstanding results with LW barrels for my G22 and G17 so I did not hesitate to get one for the G21.

Boolit Master
    What he said.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When the G17 first came out I shot nothing but full power lead in it, didn't clean it for more than 2000rds. It was advertised as not needing care right? They also did not specify no lead bullet use back then. It ran fine but I did blow the extractor out about that 2000rd mark. The Glock armorer told me I should clean it more often with lead.
    So yes, lead bullet run fine in a stock Glock bbl, just clean it more often. My buddy shot 1000s of 200gr LSWC in his G21 when he got into LE. He just cleaned it after every practice session.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by poacherjo View Post
    What type and size recommendations do you guy's have?? I was always told to not shoot cast bullets in a Glock. I don't see why as long as I load them soft and clean the barrel more often.
    Just swap the Glock barrel for KKM, Lone Wolf or similar barrel with full case support and avoid the whole concern about shooting cast lead in a Glock. There is enough information to suggest that some get away with it, some don't. It's not worth being one of the ones that doesn't get away with it. I've just puchased the Glock 21 and it will get a KKM barrel as do all of my Glocks because I cast and/or reload in 9mm, 40S&W and soon, 45ACP. I bought the 2 cavity, tumble lube version of the 230gr Lee round nose mold for the 45ACP.

Boolit Master
    I had a Glock 30 and shot the Lee 230 gr TC cast , not the TL model. Never had a problem with any ammo. If I can't shoot cast boolits out of my pistols and revolvers I don't want them.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I've read all the arguments and threads over the years about lead in Glocks and have made up my own mind, for myself only. I have no recommendations for anyone else, but for my guns I just use the right alloy, diameter, lube,etc. and never had a problem, thousands of rounds in .40 and .45.

Aftermarket barrels are great if you want one or they're more accurate, but for me (my opinion only) they're a solution to a problem that I don't have. To each their own, but I have no use for them.

In the .45 I like the Lee 230tc. I'm not an expert by any means, but it works well for me.

As to leading and aftermarket barrels and such; I recently went to powder coating my bullets, so that's pretty much all in the past. Good accuracy and not a trace of leading.

I have shot 230 gr H&G #34 on top of VV N-340 (900 to 950 fps) since I got that G#21 back in the mid 1990s. I run the Lewis Lead Remover through it every 500 or 1000 rounds. Never had a problem with it. I don't plan on changing anything.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

This does come up from time to time. No gun manufacturer condones the use of non factory loaded ammo in their guns. It is a disclaimer.

that said my G21 has had exactly two factory rounds fired in it. it has had a steady diet of plated boolits ran thru it from the start. I am now using Lyman 452374 cast boolits sized .452 which I powder coat. I also shoot these in my G36. There is no leading whatsoever and cleaning the barrel is one patch of push out the powder fouling left by the last shot. All previous fouling went out the end with each successive shot fired.

This particular boolit has been a mainstay of cast boolits in the .45 ACP for many decades and has stood the test of time.

The taper crimp on the .45 ACP should measure .470 at the case mouth. It is a necessary feature and serves to prevent the boolit from being pushed back into the case during feeding while still allowing the case mouth to headspace the cartridge properly.

It should be noted that all Factory Loaded Ammo is crimped. There must be a reason why?

If you are really worried about barrel leading, get into powder coating your boolits. There are simple ways to do it that cost very little to get started and will give you excellent results.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Just swap the Glock barrel for KKM, Lone Wolf or similar barrel with full case support and avoid the whole concern about shooting cast lead in a Glock.
    Negative.

OEM G21 barrels in my experience are better quality and more accurate than any of the aftermarket options, and handle lead as well as anything else. Really soft alloys don't grip the polygonal rifling as well, but other than that, just use an appropriate alloy and shoot away. An alloy around 8-10 Bhn will cover any load you want to shoot in those guns, up to and including 45 Super. As for case support, at the pressures the 45 runs at, it's just not the same issue it has been in years past with the .40 and 10mm versions. That generous feed ramp is part of what makes these feed such a wide variety of loads.

As to what bullet - any one you want, they feed a lot of bullets that other autos choke on. If you happen to have any feed issues, try a different magazine.
    Personally, for target loads I like the Lee 200gr SWC (the H&G #68 clone) in a 6 cavity, and a modified 230-TC for heavier stuff. I don't like the tumble lube versions, accuracy was never as good, but that's not specific to Glock.

Boolit Buddy
    When federal started that line of Synthetec ammo a year or so back i called them up and asked them what it was and if it was Glock safe. I was told yes its pretty much just powdercoat and yes its Glock safe. Call them yourself and see what they tell you. But a full set up for PC will cost a lot less than an aftermarket barrel.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    poacher job and those owning .45 ACP Glocks,

Might want to have a good gander down your OE barrels, I've seen it reported many times that the .45 ACP barrel are standard rifling, not the so called "polygonal" rifling.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I just ordered this mold (Thanks USSR for the info on it!). I am anxious to see how it works in the Glock 21 when it finally comes in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	454423 mold 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	193721

Boolit Buddy
    My Gen 1 Clock 21 had polygonal rifling. I put over 12,000 cast boolits through it and was very satisfied. Eventually it bit me in the butt with a catastrophic case failure. Not due to boolits, but the unsupported chamber. The frame disassembled into multiple pieces. An altogether unpleasant experience. I will never shoot another reload through a Glock OE barrel. I now use KKM. Don't be be afraid of boolits, but be afraid of reloads in any Glock OE barrel. Flaws in cases do occur and more adequately supported chambers make for a nicer shooting experience over the years.

Mike
    Last edited by Spector; 04-22-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    My Glock21SF OEM barrel is very good with the cast lee 200SWC bullet and the 50alox/50 beeswax lube.

My G22 and G35 both dont do lead and have severe leading. So I have after market barrels for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    My Gen 1 Clock 21 had polygonal rifling. I put over 12,000 cast boolits through it and was veer satisfied. Eventually it bit me in the butt with a catstrophic case failure. Not due to booloits, but the insuppoeted chamber. The frame disembled into multiple pieces. An altogether inpleasant experience. I will never shoot another relload through a Glock OE barrel. I now use KKM. Don't be be afraid of boolits, but be afraid of reloads in an Glock OE barrel. Flaws in cases do occur and more adequately supported chambers make for a nicer shooying experience over the years.
    My understanding is that case support was greatly improved in newer generation glocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast