Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: DIY trimmer blast shield

DIY trimmer blast shield

The gal pal pointed out to me how the glass spaghetti jar we bought wasn't glass. They seem to be making them look glass but they are super thick polycarbonate I think. Anyway makes perfect blast shield for the trimmer keeps all the chips falling down instead of a golden rainbow flying past my face and into my shoes. With a 1/4 twist I can remove it for servicing the tool. The mouth is big enough to pass the whole trim-it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3948.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	193199
    Last edited by Drew P; 04-14-2017 at 02:26 AM.

I made one from steel. I didn't feel real comfortable with the HSS blade spinning at 3000 rpm without one.

Id love a hands free way to do that. More than that though a hands free way to trim sized brass. The 300bo conversion is very hard on the fingers after a while. I can only do a few hundred and then it starts to hurt my paws. I know you've made that too! But, I don't process enough to justify that machine build. Or do I?

For sizing/forming and trimming them I use a GSI tool head and die with a Dillon trimmer motor. It's hands free and pretty easy to do 1000/hr.

All the shavings are sucked out by a vacuum but that also makes it a loud process. I generally wear the same stereo ear muffs I use when mowing when I'm the only one in the house.

It would be cool if those Dillon trimmers made their own vacuum for pulling chips.
    I don't have a 650 so can't make use of those although I suppose I could make one somehow. I don't shoot enough to justify that particular machine yet.