Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Who does this?

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains

Who does this?

I went to the range today. Which in my case is a shooting area in the national forest near my cabin. Didnt take my guns this time. Instead i loaded the truck with rakes and shovels and barrels. I spent about two or three hours loading my truck with all the trash left from all the other slobs that bring their derict flatscreen televisions and garbage compactors and bottles and anything else that could possibly be shot at and left strewn all over what i consider to be my backyard. Still have a ways to go as when I started a few months ago the place looked like a major dump in some of the finest mountain country Southern California has to offer. I know I'm not the only one. I've met a few (as in three) other people who give a rip about what others think of our ilk. So I was just wondering who amongst us cares enough about our forests to take the time and effort to clean up after those amongst us who couldn't care less about what people think of us and leave humongous amounts of trash for others to clean up after them. I would also challenge others to do the same and raise their hands so that they can get recognition for being a "good neighbor ". It's precious little I know but but but it's all we get besides knowing that we are in good company with others willing to promote the good side instead of making the rest of us look bad. I took a neighbor out to the site before it was cleaned up and I could read the disappointment in his eyes. Embarrassing to say the least.

Thanks for following the scout modo. Leave it better than you found it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well done , I shoot at a farm with a irrigation pond and a huge sand hill at the end of a 350 yard dirt lane . It's friends and family only , but I still have to occasionally pick up some old pallets and cardboard . The rule is lock the gate on the way out .

Boolit Master

Well done. Fewer and fewer people seem to care anymore.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

That's one of the main reasons I joined a gun club with a huge private range. But I still do cleanup, mostly shot-up target frames, targets blowing around, steel cases, and reloadable brass. I really hate the steel cases everywhere, but I have a big magnet on a pole for those. $10 at Home Depot, everybody should have (and use) one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f0a08e3d-792f-4106-a7c4-865581969cc8_300.jpg  

Those things work really good. That's the next phase. Mine is in my trasher truck and didn't have it with me this time. They can leave all the brass they want. I have a small brass mine going here. Fine with me. If anyone needs brass just drop me a line. Good on you for doing what you can. It makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Well done , I shoot at a farm with a irrigation pond and a huge sand hill at the end of a 350 yard dirt lane . It's friends and family only , but I still have to occasionally pick up some old pallets and cardboard . The rule is lock the gate on the way out .
    sounds awsome. This place only has a 150 yd max. Bummer but it's free and I'm cheap so it works. Keep it clean and it'll be there for ya tomorrow. You're one of the "good guys". Welcome to the club

Good for you (and us)! Us folks that like to shoot need more members with attitudes like yours. I've seen a number of areas as you describe closed by BLM and the Forest Service because of all the trash. Thank you.

Boolit Master

Been checking out the roads in Mountains around the Kalispell house over the last weeks or so to determine access to back lakes as the Spring thaw melts the snow/ice. Went up towards Tally lake yesterday, looks like still another week or two before we can get to the lake with the boat to fish. Stopped by the gravel pit nearby where quite a few people shoot. Snow is melting and it looks like a junk yard form the various junk items people have shot, pallets used as backboards shot to pieces (looks like many hundred to thousands of 12 Gauge hulls laying about), and of course paper targets that were not recovered and are lying about across the Gravel Pit where they blew off in the past. Looks like its time to take 6 to 12 garbage bags and spend a morning picking up trash and burning shot up wood items in a week or two when the items have dried out.

I have one of the Home Depot Pole mounted magnets like RonDog mentions in post #5. I too use it to pick up Steel Rifle and Pistol cases at the Ranges where people shoot and leave the Steel Cases on the ground. Makes pick up and disposal much easier. Probably take it with me to collect all the 12 Gauge Hulls at the Tally Lake area Gravel pit as they are mostly steel bases plated these days.

Scavenging brass at this Gravel Pit is sometimes excellent; other times a handful. Others are also occasionally cleaning up this area so at least there is some level of people wanting to keep the areas clean. As I was leaving, ran across the US Forest Service ranger who was touring the area. It aroused inside of me one of my PET PEEVES about our Federal Employees. The USFS ranger spoke with me a few minutes and he commented about how they may have to "Hire a Contractor" to clean up some of the mess. What gets under my skin is a Federal Employee driving around in a $60,000 to $80,000 new 4WD Pick Up Truck who has to hire someone to pick up trash (are they too good to do so themselves?), and then their solution I see and hear all across the West is that they should close off areas so no one can leave trash behind. Seems if they got off their butts and carried a box of trash bags, they could put a dent in Trash in many areas by spending a few minutes picking it up and throwing it in the back of that $80K Pick Up the Tax Payer bought for disposal back at their HQ. Raaaant Over.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Well done. Fewer and fewer people seem to care anymore.
    Tip of the hat to those who do the same. I think it's important to reflect our sport in a positive light to those who don't share our enthusiasm for guns hunting and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Good for you (and us)! Us folks that like to shoot need more members with attitudes like yours. I've seen a number of areas as you describe closed by BLM and the Forest Service because of all the trash. Thank you.
    Right back atchya bro. That's their solution to everything. Shut down the access. It's bs but if we don't actively fix the problems ourselves we have no one to blame but ourselves. Trash is like graffiti. It just promotes a general breakdown of everything that we go into woods to for. Spread the word. A barrel here and there is a small price to pay for access to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    As I was leaving, ran across the US Forest Service ranger who was touring the area. It aroused inside of me one of my PET PEEVES about our Federal Employees. The USFS ranger spoke with me a few minutes and he commented about how they may have to "Hire a Contractor" to clean up some of the mess. What gets under my skin is a Federal Employee driving around in a $60,000 to $80,000 new 4WD Pick Up Truck who has to hire someone to pick up trash (are they too good to do so themselves?), and then their solution I see and hear all across the West is that they should close off areas so no one can leave trash behind. Seems if they got off their butts and carried a box of trash bags, they could put a dent in Trash in many areas by spending a few minutes picking it up and throwing it in the back of that $80K Pick Up the Tax Payer bought for disposal back at their HQ. Raaaant Over.
    Sorry, but they're Federal Law Enforcement Officers, not janitors or landscapers. You want them to clean the outhouses too?

Boolit Master
    Great stores and Glad you (all) are doing what you can. Best we do is take out trash if we are hunting. And yep people are messy very messy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Sorry, but they're Federal Law Enforcement Officers, not janitors or landscapers. You want them to clean the outhouses too?
    Yes. I've cleaned toilets, and managed many-many-many Millions of dollars of Equipment and having Lead many people in the Military Service and as a Project & Program Manager in civilian life. Never found any job that I would task someone else with, that I would not do myself if the conditions called for me to do so (and I did do so at times). "I'm too good to do that" is a concept that has crept into the "Civil Service" employees of our nation and it needs to be culled because we now have many in Civil Service who "DO NOTHING" or come close to doing nothing.

No method of procedure has ever been devised by which liberty could be divorced from local self-government. No plan of centralization has ever been adopted which did not result in bureaucracy, tyranny, inflexibility, reaction, and decline. Of all forms of government, those administered by bureaus are about the least satisfactory to an enlightened and progressive people. Being irresponsible they become autocratic, and being autocratic they resist all development. Unless bureaucracy is constantly resisted it breaks down representative government and overwhelms democracy. It is the one element in our institutions that sets up the pretense of having authority over everybody and being responsible to nobody.

President Calvin Coolidge in a Speech he gave at William & Mary College in 1926
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I go to a Conservation range not far from me and while there I take down the old targets and pick up brass and junk that has been left behind. I enjoy the brass pickup part, it has become my stress reliever. I also do not see any reason why the agents can't get out and do a little clean up, it wouldn't hurt them. I believe that falls under 'duties as required'. It also might garner a little respect if they were seen doing it.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Yes. I've cleaned toilets, and managed many-many-many Millions of dollars of Equipment and having Lead many people in the Military Service and as a Project & Program Manager in civilian life. Never found any job that I would task someone else with, that I would not do myself if the conditions called for me to do so (and I did do so at times). "I'm too good to do that" is a concept that has crept into the "Civil Service" employees of our nation and it needs to be culled because we now have many in Civil Service who "DO NOTHING" or come close to doing nothing.

No method of procedure has ever been devised by which liberty could be divorced from local self-government. No plan of centralization has ever been adopted which did not result in bureaucracy, tyranny, inflexibility, reaction, and decline. Of all forms of government, those administered by bureaus are about the least satisfactory to an enlightened and progressive people. Being irresponsible they become autocratic, and being autocratic they resist all development. Unless bureaucracy is constantly resisted it breaks down representative government and overwhelms democracy. It is the one element in our institutions that sets up the pretense of having authority over everybody and being responsible to nobody.

President Calvin Coolidge in a Speech he gave at William & Mary College in 1926
    How absolutely true ! Being in Alaska we've suffered greatly under the boot of useless federal government employees . Or even worse the malicious federal employees. The earth worshippers and other trash . Tho many federal government employees do their job for the continuing of the status quo. There are far too many of them that want to lock Alaskan's out of Alaska's federal public lands. And federal leos in the USFS, BLM, NATIONAL PARKS are especially bothersome. I do have a problem with a government bureaucracy that forgets they are there to serve the tax payers. Public servants should serve THE PUBLIC !
    You are being watched.