WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any experience with Tramadol pain medication?

Anyone have any experience with Tramadol pain medication?

Had some back surgery and post surgery can't take any Advil type drugs for pain, only Tylenol but I can't take that since I'm allergic to it. Apparently post back surgery the bone and nerve healing benefit from the inflammation because inflammation triggers things that cause healing to be more rapid so no anti-inflammatory meds for pain.

Doctor came up with Tramadol, now I'm currently enjoying the opioid withdrawal symptoms from weaning off of oxytocin, almost through that and not sure I want to start back up on another potentially addictive drug. Have heard horror story from one person and not too bad from another. Fair amount of that online too, one that struck me was the description of Tramadol as a pain killer and anti-depressant means withdrawal the same as any other opioid but due to the anti-depressant withdrawal you can't stop crying about the opioid withdrawal cramps, dry heaves, chills and sweats.

So I guess I'm looking for more feedback from folks that have been there, done that and at what dose. How bad was stopping, how did it effect you while taking it. for example can you drive or cast without feeling like you were stoned?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance
    Unfortunately, I do and it wasn't good.

First off, I found it's "pain relieving" effects to be sorely lacking. Secondly, it's every bit as physically addicting as any opioid you could be prescribed short of something like Fentanyl, which is incredibly addictive--both physically and mentally.

I was prescribed Ultracet--which is a combination of tramadol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) for just over a decade. It took me almost THREE YEARS to finally wean myself and system off of it. I've been totally prescription-drug free now for almost two years and am somewhat paranoid about ever having to go through that again.

Compared to the tramadol, getting off the opioids was a cakewalk.

Just my experience.

Boolit Master
    I got prescribed it for a pinched nerve because I could take it and still go to work. It helped, better than ibuprofen but less than Percocet. I had no addiction symptoms after 3 weeks
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

It's in the same class, (opioid) so it will help with withdrawl but it is just an opioid replacement. If the opioid dependance is established will remain. There is no free lunch.

Tramadil was designed for back pain.
    Last edited by Greg S; 04-14-2017 at 12:15 AM.

I am currently o it off an on for the past three years for chronic back pain. (bulging disk and a pinched nerve) i can go off it with out any issues for months on end until i get a flair up. Its not as good as some of the other stuff. But i can work on it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

You have my sympathy.
    About fifteen years ago I was prescribed a strong painkiller (opioid?) and felt so bad when I quit it that a year ago when I had dental implants I told them whatever painkiller they gave me, make it weak. Still have fourteen left out of the twenty they gave me.

Boolit Master
    My wife like it as a pain killer and so did various dogs. Both used 50mg pills.

Well I'm going to call the doctors office before I fill prescription. Find out the dosage. I think it will only be for 10 days or so. But after 10 days of oxy I tried to quit too fast and wife almost called EMS, took 1/2 a pill and an hour later the symptoms were going away.

I herniated a disk a few years ago, and have had problems off and on since then. The vertebrae shifted a bit, the disk wore down a bit, and then bone spurs developed, pinched the living snot out of the nerve roots going to my one leg. Surgery was to remove some bone and make room for a couple of nerve branches. I lost the sharp pain running from hip to knee so the surgery may be a success from that standpoint, too soon to tell if low back pain will go away with those nerves not being pinched and irritated. Right now the surgical ache has replaced it. A couple of Advil would probably knock it down but Nooo can't do that.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    I got prescribed it for a pinched nerve because I could take it and still go to work. It helped, better than ibuprofen but less than Percocet. I had no addiction symptoms after 3 weeks
    For me the addiction withdrawal symptoms come on if I don't take any for around 12 - 14 hrs. Currently down to 1/8 of original dose one time a day, symptoms come on stronger and fade in waves throughout the day but are tolerable. Guide I used is reduce dose by no more the 50% at a time and stay there for 5 days before the next reduction. Should be last dose on Easter, sort of appropriate that eh?

Boolit Master
    I have used and still use tramadol because of my shoulder(4 pins and multiple anchors to reattach the rotator cuff), it is not the best pain killer on the market but it takes enough of the edge off in the small doses that I take, which is what I wanted, as far as addictive qualities , I have not noticed any, unlike viccodin and others I don't feel the need to keep taking it or upping the dosage. One of the biggest issues I have it a high tolerance for pain killers (thanks dad) and I need 2x the amount of viccodin or hydrocodone than tramadol. But each person is different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

for me it was worthless, did absolutely nothing. i do know people that suffered seizures from it, so side affects are real.

Boolit Master
    Tramadol is a non restricted drug in most of the US. It was and is a commonly prescribed drug by veterinarians to control pain of dogs with joint problems such as arthritis and hip dysplasia. They also use it for cats.

Never had any problems with it. There's no buzz of any kind so its not something anyone is likely to take recreationally. never heard of a market for it on the street, but who knows.

Works better than anything else for me. I build up a resistance to opioids very quickly. if I haven't taken an opioid for months then they will work for a few days then have zero effect no matter how high the dosage. Never had that problem with Tramadol.
    They certainly don't make me the least bit sleepy.

Perma-Banned

RogerDat..prayer sent for a quick recovery and freedom from the pain meds.

I've had it before but can't recall specifics about it. Most painkillers don't work well for me, some give me itching problems, and most mess with my sleeping real bad. Tramadol was one I swore "never again", but I can't say specifically why.....

My black lab jake took 3 tramdol in the morning and 3 at night for 3 years he had cancer and it really helped him I could see a difference from the days that he was out of his scrip

Boolit Master

All, guess Im a lucky one, Tramadol works perfectly for me and as others mentioned for our current Grey, both of us are on the 50 mg dose. Grey has kidney failure at 10 1/2 years + so he has to( we) watch his use. Works well for myself, L-4 and L-5 are grinding each other, the old screwdriver twisting in spine feeling. Been to pain management Md for 7 months, shots, some work, most do not so Tramadol takes care of 90-95% of sharp pain. After last six shots last month guess maybe had 10 total Tramadol. OTOH, most of my close friends or their wives have had no luck or bad side effects from Tramadol, guess its up to how each individuals body reacts to it. Md perscribed 1-2 pills 2-3 times a day, only took 2 twice a day at the worst time last summer - fall. Now I can go 2,3 or 4 days and maybe take 1 Tramadol . Next step is burning the nerve. Good luck with your problem, hope it gets better.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Mold
    Been on for 7 years for bad back problems. It can be addictive so be careful. Works well for me to help me sleep at night.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Smoke some pot.

Banned

I suffer chronic back pain. Heres my take on it. I HATE opioits. They make me so sick to my stomach id rather have the pain. Then add in the constipation and you can have them. Its sometimes real tough. Got up this morning and I can barely walk but usually if I get up and going it at least its bearable. My wifes one that pops a pill for a hang nail. Ive had 5 back operations and usually dumped them after 3 or 4 days and just buck up and live with it. Only consession I take to this train of thought is I take a trazadone at night before bed to help with the pain a bit and it also acts like a sleeping pill so I can at least sleep expectably. Theres a bottle of oxycodone and liquid morphine in the gun safe for just in case but it can stay there unless the pain is so severe I cant breath!! Even tried a chiropractor but that about killed me!!! NEVER AGAIN

Boolit Master
    Wife was up to 6 or 8 a day for back/hip pain, but has since reduced to 0 most days due to alternative treatment. She hasn't mentioned any withdrawal symptoms after a year of use.

FWIW, one of the generic versions works well for her, while another does not. It is not readily explained, but if it isn't working ask your pharmacist to swap companies.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast