WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Loose Mold Blocks on Handles???

Loose Mold Blocks on Handles???

Hi All,
    I am new to molding. Just purchased a new Lee 7/8 Slug mold.
    On close inspection the blocks are loosely attached but appear to be secure to the handles.
    Mold closes ok if held vertically but tends to jam when attempting to close in horizontal position due to weight of sprue plate in that position weighing one half of mold out of alignment to other.
    Is this normal to have some play with the two halves relative to handles or do the blocks have to be nipped up tightly with the handles???
    Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Boolit Master

They have to be a little loose so they line up and close properly

Thank you Moonie. I did not want to do anything that may damage the operation of the mold. Much appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

When closing I set my blocks on a straight edge ( angle iron or edge of paint pan) to help pre alighn them. This saves wear on the pins

Thanks for the advice. I have looked at a few YouTube videos of mold in operation and the way it is handled and I can now see that by handling correctly it is not an issue. I was just wanting to be sure that I did not have a dud sent to me. All appears to be fine. Thank you all.

Molds blocks will expand with heat, they have to have some play in order to accommodate that change. Shaking also helps get the slug to drop

Good advice to have something you gently rest mold on to close, that pre-alignment of the bottoms will help them come together. It is also not uncommon to have mold sort of "wedge" the alignment pins when you go to open it if the blocks are at an angle to each other. One end opens first and the mold blocks pivot so the one pin is not able to pull straight out. If that happens just give it a shake, and maybe close the mold then open while shaking a bit.

You're gonna love dropping those big ole chunk-o-lead bullets.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Oh if the wood of the handles starts coming off, JB Weld is a good way to keep those on. Just pull the loose handle off put some JB Weld in there, slide them back on and smooth off any that squishes out. Bingo. Loose handles are a good way to drop a mold. Don't ask how I know.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Thanks for the advice guys. Looking forward to making and using these slugs.