Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube sticks for Star

Boolit Buddy

Lube sticks for Star

I'm convinced I need to move up to a Star from my Lyman 450. I was thinking Saeco, but I'm casting about 10,000 a year for competitions and practice. I don't mind the casting, but the lubrisizing gets old.

Question is, what type of stick lubes do you use? I have a pretty good supply of Lar's stuff with the hole in it for the pressure stud. Does the Star take the same thing?

I use solid sticks of Carnuba Red in my Star. You can use hollow sticks, you just have to crank it down more to eliminate the hole in the stick of lube. I use a heater for the Carnuba Red, but they have other stuff that don't require heat.

Moderator Emeritus

If you can afford the Star, it's definitely the lubesizer you want to move up to.
    The Star does take solid sticks...I imagine you could put hollow sticks in it, as bosterr says, but I was prefer not to, due to trapped air working it's way to the boolit, it'd be more of an annoyance, as opposed to a actual problem.
    what I would try, is to cut one stick into small strips...small enough to fit into the hole of another, that would eliminate most of the air space. The other option would be to melt the lube and pour it in.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Just melt the hollow sticks down and pour directly into the Star. This prevents the chance of air bubbles and the possibility of unfilled lube grooves. If you buy a Star buy solid sticks for it. Less hassle in the long run.

I've run hollow sticks of lube in my Stars in the past. You'll occasionally get some air trapped, but not all the time. I use Magma lube in most of my Star machines with heaters. For soft lubes, I use my RCBS, Lyman, or Saeco machines.

I've found Magma lube to be as good as any of them, and in most cases it's cheaper when you buy in bulk (by the pound).

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I just melt and pour my lube in manly because my lube is in blocks . I considered setting up lube molds but haven't found the need to . Watch the fill level or that little hole will get you .

I have two stars and have used lube with holes and had no problems. I run air systems on mine.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    One of these days I'm gonna have to figure out how to rig up a simple air system , but I'm still at the stage of sitting a iron on a aluminum plate .

Banned
    Now that you have the Star/Magma sizer you need the air cylinder to eliminate the necessity of turning a crank every couple of bullets. There is a forum member I believe that sells lube sticks or you can simply make some Ben's Red Lube. I use both.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks all. I'll try the hollow first, if I get much air, I'll melt it. I have a heater under my Lyman, I believe its drilled for the Star also.

I have been mostly using the Carnauba Red, but also use a lot of 50-50, which I still put a little heat to make it flow easy. I also have some Carnauba Blue that is suppose to be between the 50-50 and CR, I haven't tried it yet.

I use a Midway heater the I bought on EBay many years ago.
    It is used on my Star sizer.
    Trust me when i tell you that you will not regret buying one. The size/lube process is no more fun, but it is a heck of a lot faster and easier.
    I use Magma lube exclusively. It hardens up in the lube grooves very nicely and I have no leading.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

if you want I will make you a 6 pack of lube molds and a lube stick remover for them pm me and we can talk about it D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    if you want I will make you a 6 pack of lube molds and a lube stick remover for them pm me and we can talk about it D Crockett
    What do you use for the lube stick removers? I tried to make my own sticks one time. Wasn't able to remove the lube from the tube so I decided to continue buying them.

I make a tool that removes the stick of lube from the mold D Crockett

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I've made my own BP lube for years by using PVC pipe cut to 6 inches and placed into a short piece of 2x6 that holds seven of them. Go and buy some cheap spray cooking oil, like Pam, but cheaper. Spray the inside of each mold before pouring in the lube. After the lube hardens, it almost falls out, but I will use a short piece of wooden dowel rod to remove them faster. It's very fast and easy with no mess. Take care, David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I found that the non-stick spray helps a lot but also put them in the freezer for a couple hours. They push out with nothing more than thumb pressure then.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I did it completely wrong. I was trying to make hollow sticks. Did everything mentioned above but couldn't get the sticks out. Sounds like it's time to try again.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've used a lot of hollow sticks in mine , the sizer might burp a couple times but after the pocket of air is out it's good the rest of the way .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Ken,

I've been using Randy Rat's TAC-X solid sticks. He's a member here and a vendor sponsor. Living in Michigan you may prefer the TAC-1 blend. I'm in the desert Southwest. TAC-X is blended for warmer climates and I have to use the heater when my loading room is cool or cold. He blends his lubes to have little to no smoke, a huge benefit for competition shooters. It also smells awesome. His beeswax still has a honey scent to it. Makes the whole reloading room smell great.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...e-amp-products
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    +1 on Randy Rats Tac-1. I got a kit from himyears ago when he was running a promo. I make my own sticks, I use a woden dowel with a fender washer
    screwed to the end. The pam trick works real good. And I have to use a heater although very little to get it to flow in the Star.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast