Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: What's the deal with this Ruger #1?

Boolit Buddy

What's the deal with this Ruger #1?

This auction is over, and I tried to buy this rifle yesterday. It went for over $2k. They seem to indicate it's factory. Does anyone know when or how many of these Ruger made?

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/2449-396/

Boolit Master
    That wood isn't factory and that's what's driving the price up.Says it's not in the ad.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    That wood isn't factory and that's what's driving the price up.Says it's not in the ad.
    Huh? The description says the factory stocks are highly figured.

Boolit Master

I think the price driver was the high end quality of the wood - and yes, I believe that's factory wood - just spectacular factory wood
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

At times different distributors have ordered specialruger firearms Davidsons are one that comes to mind. While this may be factory wood it also may be one of their special order firearms with a higher grade wood. The checkering patterns seem to be rugers though

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    At times different distributors have ordered specialruger firearms Davidsons are one that comes to mind. While this may be factory wood it also may be one of their special order firearms with a higher grade wood. The checkering patterns seem to be rugers though
    He said it better than I did. It's not standard factory stocks....as in "off the shelf" stock.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of my biggest gripes with the Ruger No 1 was that the wood was very often plain, not pallet wood plain, but plain. If you got even 25% figure you were doing good.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

My Ruger #1 has the same superbly figured stocks

I have exactly the same Ruger #1 in 45/70 as presented in that auction and I have to say that the factory stocks on mine are at least equal to, if not even more finely figured as the rifle in the auction. I bought my rifle over 25 years ago at a gun show in Columbus, Ohio, and as I recall, the price was under $500. It's still my favorite rifle to shoot at the range and it's even more fun since I had a recoil pad installed last year. Now, even though I'm nearly 80 years old, I can go out there and shoot anywhere from 50 to 100 rounds of full power loads without ending up with a sore and bruised shoulder. Of course all my boolits are cast, either RCBS or NOE 300gr or 405 gr, lubed with Carnuba Red and driven by appropriate charges of 3031, and I have yet to see any indication of leading. But this is all beside the point. What I wanted to make note of is that I would say that the stocks on the rifle in that auction are very likely stock factory rather than being custom stocks. Most Rugers, especially Ruger #1's of that era were indeed things of beauty with superb fit and finish. Present day offerings from Ruger may well have somewhat less quality but I certainly would think that 2K for the rifle in that auction is not an unreasonable price.

sleeper1428

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a 1B with a stock that is as good as that, but unfortunately, the forend is a bit short of the mark.

I think the fact that the 45/70 Ruger No1s are a thing of the past, the outstanding wood and the neat peep sight all drove the price up.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

There are some rare rugers out there. I have a Lipsey special order Hawkeye full stock, matte stainless in 250 savage. 97 made.

I believe this is the original African styled model offered some time ago, the 45/70 caliber in this model would make it rare

Banned
    It IS factory wood. It's from the "Red Pad" days when Bill ran the place.

2 grand plus buyer's premium for a 45-70 is nuts.

Here are a few of mine. The best was $1200 shipped.

The 458 is off to be rebarreled to 6.5-300 Weatherby (30" stainless, 5R)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger No 1s.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	204459

Banned

yup back in the red pad days about all of them had spectacular wood. Black pad guns are hit and miss. Ive seen some real nice and some as plain as birch. never seen where 4570s demanded any premium. If anything ive found them to be mid to low priced #1s
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    It IS factory wood. It's from the "Red Pad" days when Bill ran the place.

2 grand plus buyer's premium for a 45-70 is nuts.

Here are a few of mine. The best was $1200 shipped.

The 458 is off to be rebarreled to 6.5-300 Weatherby (30" stainless, 5R)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger No 1s.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	204459