Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 310 dies VS Tru-Line Jr. Press Dies

Boolit Master

Lyman 310 dies VS Tru-Line Jr. Press Dies

I have collected a few Lyman/Ideal 310 tools to use on a few old rifle calibers that I have, just for nostalgia. In finding some two-die sets that were probably offered for people that had a 30-06 set for instance, and then wanted a set for an 8 MM Mauser or a 7 MM Mauser that had the same adapter die and priming chamber as the 30-06 set, I have come across a couple of these two die sets that say "Tru-Line Jr. Press Dies" on the box. Is there any reason I shouldn't use them in a 310 tool and what is the differences in them? They all seem to be later sets with a combination neck sizing/neck expanding/primer removal tool, and the traditional double adjustable bullet seater/crimping die.

Boolit Master

Normally the 2 piece sets marked Tru-Line Jr have the sizing ball on the decaping rod (CMR Die) . These can't be used with a set of tong handles, or should I say they shouldn't be used with tong handles.
    You may be able to size the casing, but I doubt you would be able to open the handles to remove the casing. If you're using the alloy handles, there is a chance you'l break them trying this.

Tru-Line Jr dies (CMR) were designed for the press use only. The bullet seating die is the same as the 310 seating dies.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    I have one set that I purchased used with an aluminum Ideal stamped 310 handle, although there is no 310 stamped on it anywhere, but it all came in a Lyman Ideal orange 310 box. It has a No. 5 adapter die mounted in it, and came with a No. 7 priming chamber to fit the 303 British. The muzzle sizing die says 303-BRI-MR which I assumed was the 303 British Muzzle Resizer die. The double adjustable die has 303-BR-DA on it which I assumed meant 303 British Double Adjusting die. The last die in the set has 303-B-CMR on it and looks like it has the combination muzzle resizer and expanding plug mounted on the thin threaded screw-like rod with the decapping pin mounted in the end of it. The expander has 308 on the side of it. So, is this set not correct?

Boolit Master

I'm guessing like most sets out there, the set you have was pieced together. The CMR with the sizing button is a TL JR die, remove the button and you could use it with the alloy handles.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

I reload on a Tru Line Jr. I ran across a 310 die stamped 357 B-S-CH Upon checking my chart I am thinking it is a resizing, decapping die for the 357 magnum, is that correct? The price is fair but will it work on my press?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to guess that die is a "bullet seating and crimping" die. With the TL Jr press, you can probably get by using this die with either a CMR or FL (Combination Muzzle Resizer or Full Length resizer) with a case mouth expander. Unfortunately, there are sometimes differences in length between dies intended for the tong tool or the press, and I've never found a good way to predict them without trial and error.

Froggie

PS Then again, it could be a bullet sizing die...
    Last edited by Green Frog; 04-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

My firearms project blog

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    I reload on a Tru Line Jr. I ran across a 310 die stamped 357 B-S-CH Upon checking my chart I am thinking it is a resizing, decapping die for the 357 magnum, is that correct? The price is fair but will it work on my press?
    I think this die is a bullet sizer. Does it have the rod/ram that goes through it, with a bullet nose shape on one end and a large flat flange on the other? I believe they were intended for use with the 310 handles.

I have several of the bullet sizing dies but its been a while since I looked at them, but I'm pretty sure the BS is a bullet sizer. The number will be the diameter.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-28-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.