Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Need a used / new scale

Boolit Master

Need a used / new scale

I have a lee scale that works good for me. The only problem is I want to weigh bullets and my lee will only go to 100 grains. Need a good cheep used /new scale that can weigh up to 300 gr. What would be a good scale for powder and bullets. I was thinking of trying a digital scale but really like the beam scale. Thanks

Boolit Master
    For weighing bullets most any digital would work. Powder requires more stringent requirements. Any 502 (Lyman D5, Rcbs, Ohaus)would be my choice. They can be had at reasonable prices and tuned to a sensitivity less than a kernal of stick powder. They are simple,inexpensive,tunable and accurate.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'd say find a 502 or 505 and go with that. RCBS scales are really good and will do heavy bullets and light powder with both accuracy and precision.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

I would also recommend a set of the check weights to go with the scales. These allow you to certify the scales at a given weight and check the setting of the scales. I have several beam scales a 5-10 RCBS purchased new in the 80s. 510 grn capacity, a redding purchased used at a gun show ($10.00), 350 grn capacity. and a recently purchased 304 RCBS, that I believe is 100 grns capacity. The gem pro250 is also a good choice for a scales and has 750 grn capacity along with .02 grn readings.

Boolit Bub
    Ebay has lot's of them to choose from and you can use different grain bullets for check weights. M-5 lyman are hard to beat

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite scale is the RCBS/Ohaus 10-10.

They are pricey, expect to pay 50-150 depending on condition. I got lucky and found a set of NOS RCBS for $70, I'm awaiting their arrival today. I have been without a 10-10 now for a few years when a fellow reloader traded me out of the ones I had.

I own scales from RCBS(5-0-2,5-0-5) and Redding(RS1, RS2) and several LEE Safety Scales(which I like for weighing charges) but the 10-10 will always be my favorite.

I have a RCBS 10-10 and it works, a great, old, scale.

Boolit Master
    There are those words again GOOD / Cheap. Good is not cheap and Cheap is Not good. The 2 famous words In the handloader Vocabulary Good / Cheap
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

There are a lot of variables in selecting any reloading equipment but it all boils down to the intended use of the ammo produced. Plinkers do not need expensive scales as they do not usually run their pressures to the max.. Hunters are pretty much in the same boat unless they shoot at long ranges. A scale that can hold charges consistently in the .01 to .02 grain is plenty accurate enough for their use and generally ae moderately priced. However, anyone running pressure near max. for their rifle should buy the best scale they can afford. This applies to long range hunter and also varmint hunters. I don't know why but gun writers have pretty much shied away from the topic in their writing. I have a M5 Lyman scale that I bought in the mid 60's or so and it still can be adjusted to consistently weigh charges within the .01 range. Of course, I do use scale weights to both check and adjust when necessary. I have an old oil reservoir Redding scale and a Webster oil reservoir scale and they too do a great job. They just need to be properly calibrated from time to time, as do all scales, high priced or moderate. My experience anyway, james

Boolit Buddy
    Our Sportsmans Warehouse sells the Redding RS2 for $65, thats a deal! The Redding RS2 is very accurate and my old eyes like the black scale with white slashes/numbers. They are magnet dampened.

Its as good a scale as any I mentioned earlier.

Boolit Grand Master

You need to set some paremeters on what you want this scales to do, how accuratly and how fast you want to do it. I have an old redding scales oil dampened that's 350 grns capacity by .1 grns. A RCBS 5-10 that's 500 grns capacity by .1 grns. A Rcbs 304 dial o grain that's 1100 grns capacity by .1 grns. A gem pro 250 digital 750 grns by .02 grns. An old Dillon digital that's 1500 grns by .1 grns. The range of scales and cost means that you need to have a idea of what you need and want to do. Scales are available from $30.00 up to several Thousand dollars. One piece of added equipment for a scales is a set of check weights to verify and check the scales.

Banned
    That good one

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SARuger View Post
    My favorite scale is the RCBS/Ohaus 10-10.

They are pricey, expect to pay 50-150 depending on condition. I got lucky and found a set of NOS RCBS for $70, I'm awaiting their arrival today. I have been without a 10-10 now for a few years when a fellow reloader traded me out of the ones I had.

I own scales from RCBS(5-0-2,5-0-5) and Redding(RS1, RS2) and several LEE Safety Scales(which I like for weighing charges) but the 10-10 will always be my favorite.
    yes there are several ole Ohaus/RCBS 10-10 scales along with the Lyman D5 scales on Flea-bay from time to time, just picked up few, send them out to Scott Parker to get tuned and no looking back. Sometimes ole is good compared to the latest and greatest...YMMV

-Rock

Boolit Master

I have never found digital scales to be faster than beam scales. I think that most of the "speed" factor in the use of scales is in the operator. One thing I have noticed about digital scales is they have a habit of sitting on one weight (say 50.5 grains) and then 5 seconds or so later they will bounce up or down by .1 grain. Also digital scales are easier influenced by air currents, temperature, vibrations, etc. than beam scales. Beam scales can be influenced by these variables but not quite as much as digitals. I agree that "the latest is not always the greatest". my experience anyway, james

See my post
    How to weigh a 158 grease bullet on a Lee Scale

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Lee+scale

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I
    have a lee scale that works good for me. The only problem is I want to weigh bullets and my lee will only go to 100 grains. Need a good cheep used /new scale that can weigh up to 300 gr. What would be a good scale for powder and bullets. I was thinking of trying a digital scale but really like the beam scale. Thanks
    Last edited by bbogue1; 04-13-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Waiting for my 30 days and then i will be posting some stuff that is extra in my reloading collection.

Boolit Master
    Gempro 250 is decent in that price range. Will eventually get a fx-120i but right now i dont have the money for that.