WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: leupold warranty work

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains

Talking leupold warranty work

Bought a Remington 700 off a gun trader website. Got what I considered to be a good deal for the gun. When it arrived it had a nice looking Leupold Vari X II sitting on it. Took it out for a spin and about 10 rounds into the session I decided something was wrong. The gun was shooting about 18-24" to the left (couldn't tell exactly because I was well off the paper) and I coudn't get the scope to budge at all. Elevation was perfect but the windage wouldn't move. Long story short I sent it in to Leupold to get it fixed and Exactly four weeks later (today) got a Brand spankin new Vari X II scope plunked down on my front door. Ya gotta love that kind of Warranty service. That's the kind of service that makes you want to stick with a brand. Thank you Leupold.

Boolit Master

So it was stuck, and got good service, but be prepared, you might have a crooked mount.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    So it was stuck, and got good service, but be prepared, you might have a crooked mount.
    Not sure I understand your concerns regarding the mounts but it is interesting that you mentioned them because they are a quick release style of mount that unscrews at the rear and then leves sideways off of a front cam and releases from the gun. Works pretty slick and they seem like a quality mount but you do use the scope tube as a lever to release so it dit rather raise my eybrow when I first took it off. It wasn't unreasonably hard but it is a tight fit and it took a firm stroke to remove it. Not overly so but still... Hmm, now you have me thinking??

Boolit Master

Firm is probably good (no slippage).

My first centerfire rifle came with a scope that would not adjust. I had the factory fix it, when I got it back it adjusted fine but I had to crank it all the way up to the top and bottom-out (top out?) in order to get on target.

So I shimmed, and eventually had the mount milled to get the scope elevation fixed, and adjustments more centered.

This is what I'm concerned about for your rifle/scope/mount combination, though yours seems to be a side-to-side issue.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

That is NOT a quick release mount. That is the Leupold front dovetail, rear windage adjustable mount. Do NOT use the scope as the lever to twist in the front dovetail. Use a hammer handle or piece of broomstick, remove the top ring and lay the scope in the bottom ring to check alignment. If more adjustment needed, use the piece of wood to adjust.

A quick release mount should return to zero. Again, this is not a quick release mount. Congrats on excellent. Leupold service. They have been great to me. No new scope, but great service on older scopes and did replace a pair of binos once.

Perma-Banned
    BK7 is CORRECT ! you probably wrecked the scope using it to lever off the rings. Leupold makes a special tool to install the front rings. As always RTFI !

I have a 3' Length of hardwood dowel for those Leupold dovetails.

Boolit Bub
    Have had the same luck for many years from Leupold. Best company for scopes in the US hands down. Heck there still in business after many others have faded.

Boolit Master

Leupold warranty stinks.

Bought a 2X7 Vari-X ll in 1974. Mounted it on a Rem 700 in .270Win in Leupold mounts/rings. Never gave me a problem. In 2009 I took it out of the safe after not having shot it in 6 months. The Ocular Bell was "cracked off" the main tube.

I sent it back to Leupold. They called the next week and wanted $100.00 to replace it.

WHAT THE HECK ?

I said what about your warranty ? They offered a "Rifleman", bottom of the line, made in china. I said I wanted a V-2 model, model made on AMERICA. That was the comparative model. I was told to it take or leave it.
    I paid $125.00 for the Vari-X ll in 1974 from Gander MTN.
    A Rifleman scope cost $175.00 from MIDWAY in 2009.

Not comparable at all. Scope came with a little Gold sticker that said china.

I haven't bought any Leupold Product since.

Swarovski, Vortex and a Zeiss.

Sold off most off my Leupold. Just an old 4X and the scopes on my T/C Contender bbls.

If you GAVE me anything Leupold, I'd sell it and buy anything better.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Leupold warranty stinks.

Bought a 2X7 Vari-X ll in 1974. Mounted it on a Rem 700 in .270Win in Leupold mounts/rings. Never gave me a problem. In 2009 I took it out of the safe after not having shot it in 6 months. The Ocular Bell was "cracked off" the main tube.

I sent it back to Leupold. They called the next week and wanted $100.00 to replace it.

WHAT THE HECK ?

I said what about your warranty ? They offered a "Rifleman", bottom of the line, made in china. I said I wanted a V-2 model, model made on AMERICA. That was the comparative model. I was told to it take or leave it.
    I paid $125.00 for the Vari-X ll in 1974 from Gander MTN.
    A Rifleman scope cost $175.00 from MIDWAY in 2009.

Not comparable at all. Scope came with a little Gold sticker that said china.

I haven't bought any Leupold Product since.

Swarovski, Vortex and a Zeiss.

Sold off most off my Leupold. Just an old 4X and the scopes on my T/C Contender bbls.

If you GAVE me anything Leupold, I'd sell it and buy anything better.
    If the occular bell was cracked off the scope, that's not a warranty issue. It's damage caused by the owner...you. Why should they do anything for you on this? It's clearly your fault, not the fault of the scope. If I drive my car into a tree, the manufacturer isn't going to give me a new car under warranty.

Boolit Master

Warranty is supposed to cover everything.

That's what the ad's from the 1960's and 1970's Said.

And I don't damage my Firearms!
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    I agree with your statement. Over the years I have had nothing but great service from Leupold and come scopes have been in use for 30 years without a problem. Great company in my opinion.

Super Moderator

Leupold has stood behind their products for me even when it was no fault of theirs. Once I accidentally dropped a rifle into a pile of rocks when I slipped and fell while Elk hunting. Another time I was thrown off a horse while Deer hunting when the horse saw a snake. Both times they repaired my scopes to perfection. Great company and great service. I love my Leupold scopes!